Donna

Default Silicone Bakeware????

I would appreciate your opinions on the new silicone bakeware---and the
benefit of your experience in using it.

I am new to this newsgroup. If I should be posting this kind of question to
another group, please re-direct me.

Thanks---

Donna

Eric Jorgensen

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 20:27:11 -0600
"Donna" > wrote:

> I would appreciate your opinions on the new silicone bakeware---and the
> benefit of your experience in using it.

I haven't used it, but i hear that the benefits include making it really
easy to spill your batter, and an odd greasy texture on your baked goods.
Eric Jorgensen

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 20:27:11 -0600
"Donna" > wrote:

> I would appreciate your opinions on the new silicone bakeware---and the
> benefit of your experience in using it.

I haven't used it, but i hear that the benefits include making it really
easy to spill your batter, and an odd greasy texture on your baked goods.
Lucy

I wish I hadn't bought it.. total crap.
You can't carry anything in it.. unless you put it on another (metal) baking
sheet, then carry it.. and the other poster was correct about the texture.
True, it doesn't stick.. but neither does ultrex 2 bakeware (and cookware)
Check it out on hsn.com
That is the only nonstick cookware that is actually nonstick. I am able to
cook eggs, etc without any oil or anything.. but, I didn't realize the first
time I used it, that the eggs might stick to the spatula without any oil.
lol!
So.. I'm going back to my ultrex.. thank goodness I didn't toss it when I
got the silicone junk.
lucy

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 20:27:11 -0600
> "Donna" > wrote:
>
>> I would appreciate your opinions on the new silicone bakeware---and the
>> benefit of your experience in using it.

> I haven't used it, but i hear that the benefits include making it really
> easy to spill your batter, and an odd greasy texture on your baked goods.

Lucy

I wish I hadn't bought it.. total crap.
You can't carry anything in it.. unless you put it on another (metal) baking
sheet, then carry it.. and the other poster was correct about the texture.
True, it doesn't stick.. but neither does ultrex 2 bakeware (and cookware)
Check it out on hsn.com
That is the only nonstick cookware that is actually nonstick. I am able to
cook eggs, etc without any oil or anything.. but, I didn't realize the first
time I used it, that the eggs might stick to the spatula without any oil.
lol!
So.. I'm going back to my ultrex.. thank goodness I didn't toss it when I
got the silicone junk.
lucy

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 20:27:11 -0600
> "Donna" > wrote:
>
>> I would appreciate your opinions on the new silicone bakeware---and the
>> benefit of your experience in using it.

> I haven't used it, but i hear that the benefits include making it really
> easy to spill your batter, and an odd greasy texture on your baked goods.

Eric Jorgensen

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 06:20:02 GMT
"Lucy" > wrote:

> I wish I hadn't bought it.. total crap.
> You can't carry anything in it.. unless you put it on another (metal)
> baking sheet, then carry it.. and the other poster was correct about the
> texture.

But on the upside, you can wad it up and shove it in the back of a
drawer after you've figured out you don't like it.
Eric Jorgensen

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 06:20:02 GMT
"Lucy" > wrote:

> I wish I hadn't bought it.. total crap.
> You can't carry anything in it.. unless you put it on another (metal)
> baking sheet, then carry it.. and the other poster was correct about the
> texture.

But on the upside, you can wad it up and shove it in the back of a
drawer after you've figured out you don't like it.
Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
> But on the upside, you can wad it up and shove it in the back of a
>drawer after you've figured out you don't like it.

.... and won't the goofy colors attract more knuckleheads when you put it
in your garage sale?
Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
> But on the upside, you can wad it up and shove it in the back of a
>drawer after you've figured out you don't like it.

.... and won't the goofy colors attract more knuckleheads when you put it
in your garage sale?
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 23:38:14 -0700, Eric Jorgensen >
wrote:

>On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 06:20:02 GMT
>"Lucy" > wrote:
>
>> I wish I hadn't bought it.. total crap.
>> You can't carry anything in it.. unless you put it on another (metal)
>> baking sheet, then carry it.. and the other poster was correct about the
>> texture.

> But on the upside, you can wad it up and shove it in the back of a
>drawer after you've figured out you don't like it.

My Tupperware lady swears by it, but hell if I'm going to put that
mushy rubbery thing into my oven!

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>

wrote:

>On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 06:20:02 GMT
>"Lucy" > wrote:
>
>> I wish I hadn't bought it.. total crap.
>> You can't carry anything in it.. unless you put it on another (metal)
>> baking sheet, then carry it.. and the other poster was correct about the
>> texture.

> But on the upside, you can wad it up and shove it in the back of a
>drawer after you've figured out you don't like it.

My Tupperware lady swears by it, but hell if I'm going to put that
mushy rubbery thing into my oven!

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>
~*~*~*~*~*~
"What you see before you, my friend, is the result of a lifetime of
chocolate."
--Katharine Hepburn (May 12, 1907 - June 29, 2003)
~*~*~*~*~*~
Cindy Fuller

In article <20050101215149.717ebd1c@wafer>,
Eric Jorgensen > wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 20:27:11 -0600
> "Donna" > wrote:
>
> > I would appreciate your opinions on the new silicone bakeware---and the
> > benefit of your experience in using it.

> I haven't used it, but i hear that the benefits include making it really
> easy to spill your batter, and an odd greasy texture on your baked goods.

I first saw them in the Seattle Restaurant Store and was immediately
dubious, particularly of the bread pans. I imagined spilling my eggnog
bread batter all over the kitchen floor and oven door en route to baking
it. I'll stick to buttering my trusty old metal pans.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Lucy

Eric,
Very good point!

> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 06:20:02 GMT
> "Lucy" > wrote:
>
>> I wish I hadn't bought it.. total crap.
>> You can't carry anything in it.. unless you put it on another (metal)
>> baking sheet, then carry it.. and the other poster was correct about the
>> texture.

> But on the upside, you can wad it up and shove it in the back of a
> drawer after you've figured out you don't like it.

Eric Jorgensen

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 11:22:21 GMT
Petey the Wonder Dog > wrote:

> Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
> > But on the upside, you can wad it up and shove it in the back of a
> >drawer after you've figured out you don't like it.

> ... and won't the goofy colors attract more knuckleheads when you put it
> in your garage sale?

Ah yeah, bright colors will attract someone dumber than yourself to buy
stuff off you that you wish you'd never bought.
Eric Jorgensen

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 11:22:21 GMT
Petey the Wonder Dog > wrote:

> Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
> > But on the upside, you can wad it up and shove it in the back of a
> >drawer after you've figured out you don't like it.

> ... and won't the goofy colors attract more knuckleheads when you put it
> in your garage sale?

Ah yeah, bright colors will attract someone dumber than yourself to buy
stuff off you that you wish you'd never bought.

Dusty

> Ah yeah, bright colors will attract someone dumber than yourself to buy
> stuff off you that you wish you'd never bought.

Oh drat! And here I thought I'd get some as it should be easier to stash
somewhere in the RV.

Saw it on TV, but folks talking about handling it BEFORE it was baked sure
convinced me that this might not be the best course of action.

Thank you all...

Dusty
--
Remove STORE to reply

Dusty

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> Ah yeah, bright colors will attract someone dumber than yourself to buy
> stuff off you that you wish you'd never bought.

Oh drat! And here I thought I'd get some as it should be easier to stash
somewhere in the RV.

Saw it on TV, but folks talking about handling it BEFORE it was baked sure
convinced me that this might not be the best course of action.

Thank you all...

Dusty
--
Remove STORE to reply

RsH

There are at least two different types of this stuff on the market.
Cheap and not.

In the NOT group is a gray silicone loaf pan that has ribbed
reinforcements around the outside of the loaf pan to serve as
stiffener and reinforcement that they claim will not collapse with
batter inside.

In the cheap group are the red and blue and gray stuff with NO
reinforcement molded in, that manages to bow out as you pour batter
in, and expands sideways as the bread dough rises so that you end up
with an oval bread.

To date I have not seen a report on what happens when the inevitable
press of yeast expansion of dough occurs in one of those more
expensive rib reinforced loaf pans, so I do NOT know if it is worth it
or works.

Has anyone tried one of the latest generation of these blasted things
to see if they are any better than the original type?

RsH

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 18:08:23 -0800, "Dusty"
> wrote:

>"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
>> Ah yeah, bright colors will attract someone dumber than yourself to buy
>> stuff off you that you wish you'd never bought.

>Oh drat! And here I thought I'd get some as it should be easier to stash
>somewhere in the RV.
>
>Saw it on TV, but folks talking about handling it BEFORE it was baked sure
>convinced me that this might not be the best course of action.
>
>Thank you all...
>

>Dusty

R.S. (Bob) Heuman - Toronto, ON, Canada
Independent Computer Security Consulting
Web Site Auditing for Compliance with Standards
> or >
Copyright retained.
My opinions - no one else's...
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!
RsH