silentking

Default Chocolate Frosting

Can somebody help me with a good Chocolate Frosting recipe? I have tried
a couple and I have not really liked the results. I've tried one from
the Food Network, one by Wilton, and one on the back of the Hershey
cocoa container. I haven't liked the texture or the taste of all three.
I'm looking for something really lite. I know you can adjust the recipe
but because of my experience I just want to "stick to the book" for now.
Thanks again for the advice.

Peter
Roy

It seems you are having difficulty in deciding what would you like
for a frosting. then It will be much more difficult for other people
to help you either.....
Unless you establish the parameters and specification for the type of
icing you want you will never get anywhere.
Roy

Vox Humana

"silentking" > wrote in message
om...
> Can somebody help me with a good Chocolate Frosting recipe? I have tried
> a couple and I have not really liked the results. I've tried one from
> the Food Network, one by Wilton, and one on the back of the Hershey
> cocoa container. I haven't liked the texture or the taste of all three.
> I'm looking for something really lite. I know you can adjust the recipe
> but because of my experience I just want to "stick to the book" for now.
> Thanks again for the advice.
>
> Peter

You might try a whipped ganache. Use equal parts heavy cream and chocolate
buy weight. For instance you can get a cup (half pint) carton of whipping
cream and one of the gigantic, 7oz. Hershey candy bars like their "special
dark" that are sold the candy department of all supermarkets. Chop the
chocolate into small pieces, heat the cream to a simmer. Remove from the
heat and combine. When it has cooled, whip it. This will yield a very
light texture.

silentking

Thanks Vox, thats exactly what I was looking for.
And thanks for the critisism Roy, what a way to encourage a newbie to
Baking! GO Roy!

Vox Humana wrote:
> "silentking" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>Can somebody help me with a good Chocolate Frosting recipe? I have tried
>>a couple and I have not really liked the results. I've tried one from
>>the Food Network, one by Wilton, and one on the back of the Hershey
>>cocoa container. I haven't liked the texture or the taste of all three.
>>I'm looking for something really lite. I know you can adjust the recipe
>>but because of my experience I just want to "stick to the book" for now.
>>Thanks again for the advice.
>>
>>Peter

> You might try a whipped ganache. Use equal parts heavy cream and chocolate
> buy weight. For instance you can get a cup (half pint) carton of whipping
> cream and one of the gigantic, 7oz. Hershey candy bars like their "special
> dark" that are sold the candy department of all supermarkets. Chop the
> chocolate into small pieces, heat the cream to a simmer. Remove from the
> heat and combine. When it has cooled, whip it. This will yield a very
> light texture.

silentking

On 24-Dec-2004, silentking > wrote:

> Can somebody help me with a good Chocolate Frosting recipe? I have tried
> a couple and I have not really liked the results. I've tried one from
> the Food Network, one by Wilton, and one on the back of the Hershey
> cocoa container. I haven't liked the texture or the taste of all three.
> I'm looking for something really lite. I know you can adjust the recipe
> but because of my experience I just want to "stick to the book" for now.
> Thanks again for the advice.
>
> Peter

You couldn't find anything much lighter than this:
Title: Chocolate Mousse Frosting
Ingredients
1 c cold milk
1 pk (1.4 oz) instant chocolate fudge pudding mix
1 carton (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
Instructions
In a mixing bowl, beat milk and pudding mix on low speed for 2 minutes.
Fold in whipped topping. Frost the cake.
Recipe by: Quick Cooking - March/April 1998
Vox Humana

"silentking" > wrote in message
om...
> Thanks Vox, thats exactly what I was looking for.
> And thanks for the critisism Roy, what a way to encourage a newbie to
> Baking! GO Roy!

If you are frosting a large cake you might want to double or triple the
amounts. Also, sir the hot mixture until all the chocolate is melted. A
food processor is an ideal way to chop and mix the ganache.

Vox Humana

"silentking" > wrote in message
om...
> Thanks Vox, thats exactly what I was looking for.
> And thanks for the critisism Roy, what a way to encourage a newbie to
> Baking! GO Roy!

If you are frosting a large cake you might want to double or triple the
amounts. Also, sir the hot mixture until all the chocolate is melted. A
food processor is an ideal way to chop and mix the ganache.

Jenn Ridley

silentking > wrote:

>Thanks Vox, thats exactly what I was looking for.
>And thanks for the critisism Roy, what a way to encourage a newbie to
>Baking! GO Roy!

Umm. he's got a point, you know.

This is what you said:
>"I've tried one from
>>>the Food Network, one by Wilton, and one on the back of the Hershey
>>>cocoa container. I haven't liked the texture or the taste of all three.
>>>I'm looking for something really lite."

1) "lite" isn't a real word.

2) what do you mean by "light"? (to use the correct word) Are you
looking for something lighter in texture? In flavor? Something that
can be spread thinner on the cake? Something lower in calories?

"I haven't liked the texture/taste of all three" doesn't give much
help. What didn't you like about them? Were they too dense? Too
sweet? Too chocolate? Too thick?

--
Jenn Ridley :
Jenn Ridley

silentking > wrote:

>Thanks Vox, thats exactly what I was looking for.
>And thanks for the critisism Roy, what a way to encourage a newbie to
>Baking! GO Roy!

Umm. he's got a point, you know.

This is what you said:
>"I've tried one from
>>>the Food Network, one by Wilton, and one on the back of the Hershey
>>>cocoa container. I haven't liked the texture or the taste of all three.
>>>I'm looking for something really lite."

1) "lite" isn't a real word.

2) what do you mean by "light"? (to use the correct word) Are you
looking for something lighter in texture? In flavor? Something that
can be spread thinner on the cake? Something lower in calories?

"I haven't liked the texture/taste of all three" doesn't give much
help. What didn't you like about them? Were they too dense? Too
sweet? Too chocolate? Too thick?

--
Jenn Ridley :

Michael

Peter wrote:

I've tried one from the Food Network, one by Wilton, and one on the
back of the Hershey cocoa container. I haven't liked the texture or the
taste of all three.

*********************
What? You don't like the one on the back of the Hershey cocoa
container? That is absolute heresy!

Haha! As far as texture goes, I vary the Hershey's recipe depending on
what I use it for. I stiffen it up with more dry ingredients for
brownies because I often cut them and stack them on top of one another.
But for a cake I'll hold back on the last of the powdered sugar and
put the hand mixer to it and fluff it up smooth and soft as a baby's
butt.

Michael

silentking

Jenn Ridley wrote:
> silentking > wrote:
>

>>Thanks Vox, thats exactly what I was looking for.
>>And thanks for the critisism Roy, what a way to encourage a newbie to
>>Baking! GO Roy!

> Umm. he's got a point, you know.
>
> This is what you said:
>
>>"I've tried one from

> 1) "lite" isn't a real word.

See what I get for typing at 3 in the morning after baking all day. >:P

> 2) what do you mean by "light"? (to use the correct word) Are you
> looking for something lighter in texture? In flavor? Something that
> can be spread thinner on the cake? Something lower in calories?

Lighter in texture

> "I haven't liked the texture/taste of all three" doesn't give much
> help. What didn't you like about them? Were they too dense? Too
> sweet? Too chocolate? Too thick?

It seems if I use the amount of cocoa powder or powdered sugar listed
the frostings come out way too grainy for my tastes. I didn't like the
mouthfeel of them at all. I also think that the vanilla extract leaves
way too much of an alcohol taste in the frostings.

> --
> Jenn Ridley :

Thanks again for all your help.
Peggy

You might like this. It's light and fluffy.

Butter Cream
4 ounces of egg whites
8 ounces of sugar
12 ounces of unsalted butter - softened
8 ounces of melted chocolate to taste

1. Heat egg whites and sugar to 120 degrees.
2. Whip in mixer on high to achieve full volume. Fold in butter and melted
chocolate.

Enjoy!
Peggy

"silentking" > wrote in message
om...
> Can somebody help me with a good Chocolate Frosting recipe? I have tried a
> couple and I have not really liked the results. I've tried one from the
> Food Network, one by Wilton, and one on the back of the Hershey cocoa
> container. I haven't liked the texture or the taste of all three. I'm
> looking for something really lite. I know you can adjust the recipe but
> because of my experience I just want to "stick to the book" for now.
> Thanks again for the advice.
>
> Peter

Peggy