Default Lemonade Cake (easy)

Lemonade Cake
3 oz. pkg. lemon jello
3/4 cup hot water
1 lemon cake mix (18.25 oz)
3 eggs
3/4 cup oil or applesauce
12 oz. can frozen lemonade concentrate
1/2 cup sugar

Heat oven to 300. Grease and flour a bundt pan. Dissolve jello in
hot water and set aside to cool. DO NOT JELL. In a large bowl, mix
next three ingredients. Add cooled jello. Beat until well mixed.
Turn into Bundt pan. Bake 1 hour or until knife inserted comes out
clean. Meanwhile, mix next 2 ingredients and let set. While cake is
still warm, loosen it from edges of pan. Also poke a few holes into
body of cake. Pour lemonade mixture over cake, allowing it to run
down sides.
_________________________
Get Holiday-Recipes
http://www.webrecipes.info
_________________________

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Lemonade Cake
> 3 oz. pkg. lemon jello
> 3/4 cup hot water
> 1 lemon cake mix (18.25 oz)
> 3 eggs
> 3/4 cup oil or applesauce
> 12 oz. can frozen lemonade concentrate
> 1/2 cup sugar

I laughed when I saw this! We have a cooking show on the radio on Saturday.
There is always a "hot" recipe. For instance, the hot recipe for about a
year was the pineapple angel food cake. You pour a box of angel food cake
mix into a bowl and add a 20 oz can of crushed pineapple in juice, stir,
pour into an 9 x 13 inch pan and bake at 350F for about 35 minutes. OK -
this cake has two ingredients: cake mix and a can of pineapple. During the
three hour show at least six people would call each week for a year because
they didn't get the entire recipe. Before that it was the "Lemonade Cake"
Same thing. Week after week people called because they just didn't get the
recipe. It got to the point where the host would just recite the recipe at
the top of the hour! I was so fascinated by the overwhelming response to
the pineapple angel food cake that I actually went out and bought a cake
mix. It was disappointing - sort of like cotton candy with bits of
pineapple! It must be an acquired taste because people called and raved
about that cake, and how exquisite it was with a big dollop of CoolWhip and
some fresh berries!

Here is another version of the legendary Lemonade Cake:
Lemonade Cake
a.. 1 2-layer white or yellow cake mix
b.. 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
c.. 1 cup sour cream
d.. 6-ounce can frozen lemonade, thawed
e.. 3 large eggs
Place all ingredients in large bowl of electric mixer. Mix on low to blend.
Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 °F.

Turn batter into a greased and floured tube cake pan. Bake in the preheated
oven for 45 minutes.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar or glaze with your favorite lemon glaze.

Pineapple Angel Cake

a.. angel food cake mix (1 step method)
a.. 20-ounce can crushed pineapple in juice
Stir together the cake mix and pineapple just until well mixed. Pour into an
ungreased 13 x 9" baking pan. Bake in a preheated 350 °F. oven for 35
minutes. Cool and cut into squares.

Note: May also bake in a tube or bundt pan. Baking time may be longer.

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Lemonade Cake
> 3 oz. pkg. lemon jello
> 3/4 cup hot water
> 1 lemon cake mix (18.25 oz)
> 3 eggs
> 3/4 cup oil or applesauce
> 12 oz. can frozen lemonade concentrate
> 1/2 cup sugar

I laughed when I saw this! We have a cooking show on the radio on Saturday.
There is always a "hot" recipe. For instance, the hot recipe for about a
year was the pineapple angel food cake. You pour a box of angel food cake
mix into a bowl and add a 20 oz can of crushed pineapple in juice, stir,
pour into an 9 x 13 inch pan and bake at 350F for about 35 minutes. OK -
this cake has two ingredients: cake mix and a can of pineapple. During the
three hour show at least six people would call each week for a year because
they didn't get the entire recipe. Before that it was the "Lemonade Cake"
Same thing. Week after week people called because they just didn't get the
recipe. It got to the point where the host would just recite the recipe at
the top of the hour! I was so fascinated by the overwhelming response to
the pineapple angel food cake that I actually went out and bought a cake
mix. It was disappointing - sort of like cotton candy with bits of
pineapple! It must be an acquired taste because people called and raved
about that cake, and how exquisite it was with a big dollop of CoolWhip and
some fresh berries!

Here is another version of the legendary Lemonade Cake:
Lemonade Cake
a.. 1 2-layer white or yellow cake mix
b.. 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
c.. 1 cup sour cream
d.. 6-ounce can frozen lemonade, thawed
e.. 3 large eggs
Place all ingredients in large bowl of electric mixer. Mix on low to blend.
Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 °F.

Turn batter into a greased and floured tube cake pan. Bake in the preheated
oven for 45 minutes.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar or glaze with your favorite lemon glaze.

Pineapple Angel Cake

a.. angel food cake mix (1 step method)
a.. 20-ounce can crushed pineapple in juice
Stir together the cake mix and pineapple just until well mixed. Pour into an
ungreased 13 x 9" baking pan. Bake in a preheated 350 °F. oven for 35
minutes. Cool and cut into squares.

Note: May also bake in a tube or bundt pan. Baking time may be longer.

Scott

In article >,
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> It was disappointing - sort of like cotton candy with bits of
> pineapple! It must be an acquired taste because people called and
> raved about that cake, and how exquisite it was with a big dollop of
> CoolWhip and some fresh berries!

I've had similar experiences when I've gone to people's houses and a
sheet cake from one of those warehouse stores is served. People rave
about what a good cake it is; to me, it tastes like sweetened foam
packing material. A little less chewy, perhaps.

I've learned not to bring homemade cakes to certain people. It just
won't be appreciated.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Vox Humana

"Scott" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>
> > It was disappointing - sort of like cotton candy with bits of
> > pineapple! It must be an acquired taste because people called and
> > raved about that cake, and how exquisite it was with a big dollop of
> > CoolWhip and some fresh berries!

> I've had similar experiences when I've gone to people's houses and a
> sheet cake from one of those warehouse stores is served. People rave
> about what a good cake it is; to me, it tastes like sweetened foam
> packing material. A little less chewy, perhaps.
>
> I've learned not to bring homemade cakes to certain people. It just
> won't be appreciated.

Exactly! People's tastes have been influenced by what I call "industrial"
baking. I used to bake a lot of cakes and send them to work with my partner
when they had food days. He would bring home leftovers that he said people
raved about. They always involve packaged cake mixes, pudding mix,
CoolWhip, canned pie filling, marshmallow fluff, and so on. I didn't see
any reason to continue making cakes from scratch with real butter when they
would be just as happy with something from the industrial bakery department
at Wal-Mart. I told him to stop at the supermarket on the way to work and
buy something. It was cheaper and quicker.

Scott

In article >,
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> Exactly! People's tastes have been influenced by what I call "industrial"
> baking. I used to bake a lot of cakes and send them to work with my partner
> when they had food days. He would bring home leftovers that he said people
> raved about. They always involve packaged cake mixes, pudding mix,
> CoolWhip, canned pie filling, marshmallow fluff, and so on. I didn't see
> any reason to continue making cakes from scratch with real butter when they
> would be just as happy with something from the industrial bakery department
> at Wal-Mart. I told him to stop at the supermarket on the way to work and
> buy something. It was cheaper and quicker.

I've learned to be discriminatory in what I do.

I was asked by someone to make a cake for them to bring to a holiday
party--to be served to the same people who liked the Cosco (or whatever)
sheet cake. I was actually *asked* to make it from a particular cake
mix. <shrug> I wasn't going to go there anyway so I wouldn't have to
hide my face in shame. I did what I was asked to do, and was later told
how wonderful the cake was and that everyone loved it. That irritated me.

New Years Day, I'm going to a party thrown by a friend of mine. I
*always* bring home-made there, because the people he invites appreciate
such things. Last time, it was a home-made apple pie and an apple cake
('twas fall, and I'd just been to a local orchard). People called it the
best apple cake and apple pie they'd ever had. This time, maybe whiskey
cake and some fudge.

When you make things from scratch for people who APPRECIATE such food,
it can be a rewarding experience.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Vox Humana

"Scott" > wrote in message
> In article >,

> New Years Day, I'm going to a party thrown by a friend of mine. I
> *always* bring home-made there, because the people he invites appreciate
> such things. Last time, it was a home-made apple pie and an apple cake
> ('twas fall, and I'd just been to a local orchard). People called it the
> best apple cake and apple pie they'd ever had. This time, maybe whiskey
> cake and some fudge.
>
> When you make things from scratch for people who APPRECIATE such food,
> it can be a rewarding experience.

I love cheesecake and I think I make a good one, same with carrot cake.
When my partner would go home to visit his mother, I would try to send
something. As it was usually a special occasion, I often sent a large
cheesecake. Last year his mother came for a visit. We were at a restaurant
and someone pointed out that they had cheesecake on the menu. The Evil
mother-in-law spontaneously frowned and said "I wouldn't go out of my way
for cheesecake." I was really ****ed because often it wasn't convenient to
bake something and pack it for a long road trip. She also announced earlier
in that visit that cinnamon causes heartburn and therefore she doesn't eat
anything with cinnamon - scratch the carrot cake! I decided that I
wouldn't be baking anything for her in the future. Ironically, she
purchased a Junior's Cheesecake from QVC for Thanksgiving. I checked the
QVC website and found that the cake, with shipping, costs about $42. The
cheesecake that I make happens to be out of Junior's cookbook and they claim
it is the same one that they sell in their restaurant. I haven't figured
out why she bought it since she said she didn't like cheesecake and in fact,
said she didn't care for the one she ordered. In any event, I was glad that
her ambivalence was on her dime and not mine.

Dave Bell

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Scott wrote:

> This time, maybe whiskey cake ...

That does sound like a good idea! Do you have a recommended recipe?

Dave
Raj V

Scott wrote:
SNIP
Last time, it was a home-made apple pie and an apple cake
SNIP

The house burned in May 2000 (yeah, welcome to the millennium), it was a
total loss. I've just recently replaced the Kitchenaid and have been trying
to get back to cooking more. Every fall I made a wonderful apple cake with
fresh apples. The neighbors loved getting them for Christmas and we loved
giving them. Alas, the recipe went up in flames. I sure would like to try
yours if you would post it or send it to me.

Thanks,
Raj

Wayne Boatwright

"Raj V" > wrote in
:

> Scott wrote:
> SNIP
> Last time, it was a home-made apple pie and an apple cake
> SNIP
>
> The house burned in May 2000 (yeah, welcome to the millennium), it was a
> total loss. I've just recently replaced the Kitchenaid and have been
> trying to get back to cooking more. Every fall I made a wonderful apple
> cake with fresh apples. The neighbors loved getting them for Christmas
> and we loved giving them. Alas, the recipe went up in flames. I sure
> would like to try yours if you would post it or send it to me.
>
> Thanks,
> Raj

Not Scott's, but this is the best apple cake I've ever eaten. I don't
usually like apple cake.

From: ravinwulf >
Tracy R.

Fresh Apple Cake (Press Scimitar)

cakes, fruit, favorites

1 1/2 cups salad oil [Tracy's Note: I use Crisco oil]
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup pecans; chopped
3 cups raw apples; chopped
----CARAMEL FROSTING----
1/2 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons evaporated milk
1 cup dark brown sugar; firmly packed
0 x confectioner's sugar

Fresh Apple Cake: Prepare apples and set aside. Measure salad oil
(room temperature) into mixing bowl. Add sugar and eggs and mix well
at low speed on electric mixer until creamy smooth. Sift all-purpose
flour and measure. Then sift again with salt, soda and baking powder.
Add flour mixture to creamed mixture in small amounts. Beat well after
each addition. When batter becomes stiff, remove electric beater and
finish mixing by hand. Fold in chopped nuts and apples last. Mix well.
Spread evenly in 9x13-inch pan, lined on the bottom with waxed paper.
Bake at 350 degrees F about 55 to 60 minutes. Turn onto cake rack to
cool and remove paper. When cake is baked in 2 round 9-inch cake
layers use the same temperature and bake only 40 to 45 minutes or
until layers are done. Avoid overbaking.

Caramel Frosting: Measure butter, salt, evaporated milk, and brown
sugar into small saucepan. Heat lightly just to melt butter. Mix until
sugar dissolves. Add enough sifted confectioner's sugar to make of
right consistency to spread.

Notes: This is the article that accompanied the recipe.

The fresh apple cake - winner in the Press Scimitar's Favorite Recipe
Contest - can be made during the holidays now with firm, tart apples
of top quality.

Apples should be peeled, quartered and chopped fine. Pieces of apple
should be about the size of an English pea. [Tracy's Note: I usually
do this in the Cuisinart.] For measuring, lift chopped apple into
measuring cup without packing. Fine apples for making this cake are
the crisp Winesap and York Imperial. Prepare apples and have ready
before starting the cake. Measure shelled nuts and then chop fine. Any
nuts may be used such as pecans, California walnuts, Brazil nuts,
hickory nuts, black walnuts, peanuts, etc.

When the creaming becomes hard, remove electric mixer and finish cake
by blending with a slotted spoon, a batter beater or long handled
wooden spoon. Use a rubber spatula to go around sides of bowl and to
clean off the spoon frequently.

The liquid in this cake is provided by the salad oil and apples
chiefly. No liquid such as milk is needed. The unusual rich quality of
this cake comes from the blending of light oil, apples and chopped
nuts in the creamy smooth batter. Eggs for this cake should be the
very largest size. When smaller eggs are used the number should be
increased by three. (Tracy's Note: I swear the original article (which
I have a xerox of) says "by" three, but I'm thinking that should be
"to" three - five eggs sounds like too many, even if small...) Eggs
should be room temperature. To warm eggs quickly, crack eggs and drop
into a glass. Place the glass in a bowl of warm water.

Size of Pan: This cake will make two 9-inch round layers. Shallow cake
pans will not give this cake room to rise. Be sure the pans are 1 3/4
to 2 inches deep. In The Press-Scimitar kitchen, this cake was most
popular baked in a 9x13-inch pan.

Mrs. Robert A. Crenshaw baked this cake very successfully in a 10-inch
angel food cake pan. The cake was started in a low oven (300 degrees
F) and baked for 30 minutes. Then without the oven door being opened,
the heat was reduced to 250 degrees F and the baking continued for two
hours. Mrs. Mattie Borkholder, cafeteria manager for Plough, Inc.,
telephoned to say, "Recently we had the 25-year banquet for the plough
employees who have a record of 25 years' experience with the company.
What do you think we had for dessert? That wonderful fresh apple cake
cut in squares and topped with whipped cream."

Since this cake is very tender, line the bottom of the cake pan with
waxed paper to insure perfect release from the pan. When done, turn
cake onto rack to cool. Peel off paper carefully. For slicing this
cake, use a sharp knife as is recommended for fruitcake.

To Ice or Not: Mrs. James W. Worley who sent in this prize-winning
recipe included a caramel icing. In the Press-Scimitar's test kitchen
the cake was found to be luscious served plain. Innumerable calls from
happy readers have indicated their preference in serving this cake
uniced. Or the topping may be varied for the occasion using whipped
non-fat dry milk, whipped cream, ice cream, instant dessert whip, etc.
Late Thanksgiving Eve a call came about this cake. "I never ice this
cake. I will make a design on top with confectioner's sugar. We will
take it to Mississippi tomorrow."

To Freeze: This cake may be frozen uniced or iced with this caramel
frosting made with confectioner's sugar. Cake should be well protected
with clear plastic wrap and aluminum foil. If possible, return the
cake to the pan in which it was baked. Then wrap entirely airtight. So
many of you have asked for it - here is the prize-winning recipe:
<begin recipe above>

Source: The Memphis Press Scimitar, c. 1950s or 60s? (to judge by the
clothing and hair styles in the accompanying photos, Alice Beatty
Pitts, reporter

Serves 18 to 20

Tracy Note: It does freeze really well. I used to make it in two 8x8
square pans. Eat one like a snack cake and freeze one for later.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Scott

In article >,
"Raj V" > wrote:

> The house burned in May 2000 (yeah, welcome to the millennium), it was a
> total loss. I've just recently replaced the Kitchenaid and have been trying
> to get back to cooking more. Every fall I made a wonderful apple cake with
> fresh apples. The neighbors loved getting them for Christmas and we loved
> giving them. Alas, the recipe went up in flames. I sure would like to try
> yours if you would post it or send it to me.

My sympathies for your house; I certainly appreciate the visceral value
of a home.

*Every* time I've made this, people ask for the recipe.

RECIPE: Skillet Apple Cake
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cup white flour
1 teasp baking powder
1/2 teasp salt
1/4 teasp nutmeg
1/2 teasp cinnamon
1/4 teasp ground cloves
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 lrg egg, beaten
1/2 cup pecans (optional)
2 lrg apples peeled and chopped coarsely

METHOD:
Preheat oven to 375 F.

Sift flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cloves and sugar into a large
bowl. In a separate bowl, combine salad oil and egg, add nuts and apples.

Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients, mixing until just combined;
pour into 9" cast iron skillet and bake for 35 minutes. Turn out onto
baking rack.

Note 1: in order to reduce the fat content, I've started measuring out
about 1/3 cup applesauce (unsweetened), then topped that off with the
oil to make 3/4 cup. It's worth it: it tastes as least as good, and has
less fat. I usually use some of the apples I've purchased for the cake
(Fujis, Cortlands) to make the sauce.

Note 2: I have one of those hand-cranked apple peeler/corers/cutters,
like so:
<http://tinyurl.com/4mc6l>
it gives me a peeled/cored apple cut into a spiral, each "turn" about
1/8" thick. I just put this on the table, cuts parallel to the surface,
and run a knife down in four or so places. Gives me perfectly sized
pieces, if that conveys the idea.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Scott

In article et>,
Dave Bell > wrote:

> That does sound like a good idea! Do you have a recommended recipe?

Certainly!

RECIPE: Whiskey cake
INGREDIENTS:
2 cups raisins
2 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped
2-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teasp ground cinnamon
1 teasp baking powder
1/4 teasp baking soda
1/4 teasp salt
1-2/3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
4 lrg egg whites
1 lrg egg
1/2 cup whiskey

METHOD:
Lightly grease a 9"x9"x2" baking pan. To keep cake from overbrowning,
line pan with parchment paper; lightly grease paper. In a small bowl,
pour just enough boiling water over the raisins to cover. Let stand for
30 minutes or until the water cools to room temperature; drain well. In
a medium size bowl, toss drained raisins and walnuts with 1/2 cup of the
flour.

Preheat oven to 325 F. In another medium-size bowl, stir together the
remaining 2 cups of flour, the cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and
salt. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium, cream the brown
sugar and butter until light and fluffy, scraping sides of bowl often.
Add the egg whites and beat well. Add the egg and beat well. Using a
wooden spoon, stir in one-third of the flour mixture, then half of the
whiskey. Repeat, then stir in the remaining flour mixture. Fold in the
raisin mixture.

Spread batter evenly into prepared pan; smooth the surface. Bake about
55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out
clean. Place the pan upright on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Using a
narrow metal spatula, loosen sides of cake from the pan, then invert the
cake onto the rack. Cool completely.

Note: I keep thinking to cover the raisins with hot grape juice instead
of the boiling water, to reduce flavor loss. I don't think it's an
issue... just fiddling.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Scott

In article et>,
Dave Bell > wrote:

> That does sound like a good idea! Do you have a recommended recipe?

Certainly!

RECIPE: Whiskey cake
INGREDIENTS:
2 cups raisins
2 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped
2-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teasp ground cinnamon
1 teasp baking powder
1/4 teasp baking soda
1/4 teasp salt
1-2/3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
4 lrg egg whites
1 lrg egg
1/2 cup whiskey

METHOD:
Lightly grease a 9"x9"x2" baking pan. To keep cake from overbrowning,
line pan with parchment paper; lightly grease paper. In a small bowl,
pour just enough boiling water over the raisins to cover. Let stand for
30 minutes or until the water cools to room temperature; drain well. In
a medium size bowl, toss drained raisins and walnuts with 1/2 cup of the
flour.

Preheat oven to 325 F. In another medium-size bowl, stir together the
remaining 2 cups of flour, the cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and
salt. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium, cream the brown
sugar and butter until light and fluffy, scraping sides of bowl often.
Add the egg whites and beat well. Add the egg and beat well. Using a
wooden spoon, stir in one-third of the flour mixture, then half of the
whiskey. Repeat, then stir in the remaining flour mixture. Fold in the
raisin mixture.

Spread batter evenly into prepared pan; smooth the surface. Bake about
55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out
clean. Place the pan upright on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Using a
narrow metal spatula, loosen sides of cake from the pan, then invert the
cake onto the rack. Cool completely.

Note: I keep thinking to cover the raisins with hot grape juice instead
of the boiling water, to reduce flavor loss. I don't think it's an
issue... just fiddling.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Wayne Boatwright

Scott > wrote in news:heimdall-
:

> In article et>,
> Dave Bell > wrote:
>
>> That does sound like a good idea! Do you have a recommended recipe?

> Certainly!
>
> RECIPE: Whiskey cake
> INGREDIENTS:
> 2 cups raisins
> 2 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped
> 2-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
> 2 teasp ground cinnamon
> 1 teasp baking powder
> 1/4 teasp baking soda
> 1/4 teasp salt
> 1-2/3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
> 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
> 4 lrg egg whites
> 1 lrg egg
> 1/2 cup whiskey
>
> METHOD:
> Lightly grease a 9"x9"x2" baking pan. To keep cake from overbrowning,
> line pan with parchment paper; lightly grease paper. In a small bowl,
> pour just enough boiling water over the raisins to cover. Let stand for
> 30 minutes or until the water cools to room temperature; drain well. In
> a medium size bowl, toss drained raisins and walnuts with 1/2 cup of the
> flour.
>
> Preheat oven to 325 F. In another medium-size bowl, stir together the
> remaining 2 cups of flour, the cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and
> salt. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium, cream the brown
> sugar and butter until light and fluffy, scraping sides of bowl often.
> Add the egg whites and beat well. Add the egg and beat well. Using a
> wooden spoon, stir in one-third of the flour mixture, then half of the
> whiskey. Repeat, then stir in the remaining flour mixture. Fold in the
> raisin mixture.
>
> Spread batter evenly into prepared pan; smooth the surface. Bake about
> 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out
> clean. Place the pan upright on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Using a
> narrow metal spatula, loosen sides of cake from the pan, then invert the
> cake onto the rack. Cool completely.
>
> Note: I keep thinking to cover the raisins with hot grape juice instead
> of the boiling water, to reduce flavor loss. I don't think it's an
> issue... just fiddling.

Sounds like a winner!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Scott

In article >,
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> I love cheesecake and I think I make a good one, same with carrot cake.
> When my partner would go home to visit his mother, I would try to send
> something. As it was usually a special occasion, I often sent a large
> cheesecake. Last year his mother came for a visit. We were at a restaurant
> and someone pointed out that they had cheesecake on the menu. The Evil
> mother-in-law spontaneously frowned and said "I wouldn't go out of my way
> for cheesecake." I was really ****ed because often it wasn't convenient to
> bake something and pack it for a long road trip. She also announced earlier
> in that visit that cinnamon causes heartburn and therefore she doesn't eat
> anything with cinnamon - scratch the carrot cake! I decided that I
> wouldn't be baking anything for her in the future. Ironically, she
> purchased a Junior's Cheesecake from QVC for Thanksgiving. I checked the
> QVC website and found that the cake, with shipping, costs about $42. The
> cheesecake that I make happens to be out of Junior's cookbook and they claim
> it is the same one that they sell in their restaurant. I haven't figured
> out why she bought it since she said she didn't like cheesecake and in fact,
> said she didn't care for the one she ordered. In any event, I was glad that
> her ambivalence was on her dime and not mine.

Um, maybe she bought it for someone else??

Then again, there are many people who will do silly things for
"celebrity." "Oh, it's a *Junior's* cheesecake!" There are people who
are determined to believe that certain famous things (food or other
items) simply cannot be replicated at home. It doesn't matter that the
cake you made is from the Junior's cookbook, it's simply not a Junior's
cheesecake. Or so the thinking goes.

Of course, there are many instances (in my mind) where this is a *good*
thing. I don't want to replicate the mass-produced thing. The version of
Tootsie Rolls that I make are, IMHO, better than the famous product. But
not only have tastes been often skewed in favor of the mass-produced
product, I think many people have been automatically biased against the
home-made one.

Of course, the shvigger may simply have been malicious.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>

Dave Bell

Scott wrote:

> RECIPE: Whiskey cake

Looks great, Scott - thanks! I'll have to try this one for Christmas
dessert...
Dave Bell

Scott wrote:

> *Every* time I've made this [Apple Cake], people ask for the recipe.

I can well believe it! I made one late evening, and it was half gone
*before* our three girls noticed it. Making another, double sized, for
Christmas brunch and dinner dessert with friends.

I like the suggestion to replace some of the oil with applesauce. That's
a standard replacement and always works well. Next batch I definately
will. I think I'll try using melted butter for the oil, as well. Have
you tried it with brown sugar, or a 50:50 mix? Maybe a little grated
sharp cheddar on top, in the last 10-15 minutes of baking!

Thanks for sharing it!

Dave
Scott

In article >,
Dave Bell > wrote:

> I can well believe it! I made one late evening, and it was half gone
> *before* our three girls noticed it. Making another, double sized, for
> Christmas brunch and dinner dessert with friends.

Glad it turned out well!

> I like the suggestion to replace some of the oil with applesauce. That's
> a standard replacement and always works well. Next batch I definately
> will. I think I'll try using melted butter for the oil, as well. Have
> you tried it with brown sugar, or a 50:50 mix? Maybe a little grated
> sharp cheddar on top, in the last 10-15 minutes of baking!

The brown sugar idea sounds interesting. I'm not a cheese-on-apple fan,
especially as I think this cake has a nice taste all its own; I'd
imagine that cheese would overwhelm it.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Scott