Member

Default baking stone

I recently received a baking stone, minus the instructions and box. I do not have any idea how long to preheat the stone prior to use and how long it should be used as opposed to time in oven without the stone. If any one can help me I would be very happy to begin using the stone. Thank you
Wayne Boatwright

Darcy Legare > wrote in
news:1103774238.c8feb92ddc364ce3e169014edefbedd5@t eranews:

> I recently received a baking stone, minus the instructions and box. I do
> not have any idea how long to preheat the stone prior to use and how
> long it should be used as opposed to time in oven without the stone. If
> any one can help me I would be very happy to begin using the stone.
> Thank you

Place the stone in a cold oven (I keep my stone in the oven all the time),
and preheat at least 30 minutes. I don't generally adjust the baking time.
The object is not to speed up cooking, but to improve the crust of most
things baked on the stone. Your oven temperature remains the same as if the
stone wasn't there.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Eric Jorgensen

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 04:18:59 GMT
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Darcy Legare > wrote in
> news:1103774238.c8feb92ddc364ce3e169014edefbedd5@t eranews:
>
> > I recently received a baking stone, minus the instructions and box. I
> > do not have any idea how long to preheat the stone prior to use and how
> > long it should be used as opposed to time in oven without the stone. If
> > any one can help me I would be very happy to begin using the stone.
> > Thank you

> Place the stone in a cold oven (I keep my stone in the oven all the
> time), and preheat at least 30 minutes. I don't generally adjust the
> baking time. The object is not to speed up cooking, but to improve the
> crust of most things baked on the stone. Your oven temperature remains
> the same as if the stone wasn't there.

Depends what you're baking.

At about 500 degrees, it really cuts down the bake time of a pizza. There's a very rapid transfer of thermal energy between the stone
and the crust.

At 350, baking bread, i imagine it doesn't affect bake time much.
silentking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Darcy Legare > wrote in
> news:1103774238.c8feb92ddc364ce3e169014edefbedd5@t eranews:
>

>>I recently received a baking stone, minus the instructions and box. I do
>>not have any idea how long to preheat the stone prior to use and how
>>long it should be used as opposed to time in oven without the stone. If
>>any one can help me I would be very happy to begin using the stone.
>>Thank you

> Place the stone in a cold oven (I keep my stone in the oven all the time),
> and preheat at least 30 minutes. I don't generally adjust the baking time.
> The object is not to speed up cooking, but to improve the crust of most
> things baked on the stone. Your oven temperature remains the same as if the
> stone wasn't there.

But I thought the Baking Stone (in addition to what you stated) was to
even out the temperature inside the oven to keep it at a constant
temperature. Is this an additional function of the stone? My oven is the
worst one ever made (really!) and I was thinking of getting some
Baking Stones for this purpose.

silentking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Darcy Legare > wrote in
> news:1103774238.c8feb92ddc364ce3e169014edefbedd5@t eranews:
>

>>I recently received a baking stone, minus the instructions and box. I do
>>not have any idea how long to preheat the stone prior to use and how
>>long it should be used as opposed to time in oven without the stone. If
>>any one can help me I would be very happy to begin using the stone.
>>Thank you

> Place the stone in a cold oven (I keep my stone in the oven all the time),
> and preheat at least 30 minutes. I don't generally adjust the baking time.
> The object is not to speed up cooking, but to improve the crust of most
> things baked on the stone. Your oven temperature remains the same as if the
> stone wasn't there.

But I thought the Baking Stone (in addition to what you stated) was to
even out the temperature inside the oven to keep it at a constant
temperature. Is this an additional function of the stone? My oven is the
worst one ever made (really!) and I was thinking of getting some
Baking Stones for this purpose.

Wayne Boatwright

silentking > wrote in
om:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Darcy Legare > wrote in
>> news:1103774238.c8feb92ddc364ce3e169014edefbedd5@t eranews:
>>

>>>I recently received a baking stone, minus the instructions and box. I
>>>do not have any idea how long to preheat the stone prior to use and how
>>>long it should be used as opposed to time in oven without the stone. If
>>>any one can help me I would be very happy to begin using the stone.
>>>Thank you

>> Place the stone in a cold oven (I keep my stone in the oven all the
>> time), and preheat at least 30 minutes. I don't generally adjust the
>> baking time. The object is not to speed up cooking, but to improve the
>> crust of most things baked on the stone. Your oven temperature remains
>> the same as if the stone wasn't there.
>>

> But I thought the Baking Stone (in addition to what you stated) was to
> even out the temperature inside the oven to keep it at a constant
> temperature. Is this an additional function of the stone? My oven is the
> worst one ever made (really!) and I was thinking of getting some
> Baking Stones for this purpose.

Yes, the retained heat of the stone does help to maintain a more even temp.
You'll notice an improvement.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Eric Jorgensen

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 01:40:06 -0500
silentking > wrote:

> But I thought the Baking Stone (in addition to what you stated) was to
> even out the temperature inside the oven to keep it at a constant
> temperature. Is this an additional function of the stone? My oven is the
> worst one ever made (really!) and I was thinking of getting some
> Baking Stones for this purpose.

Well, yes and no. They act somewhat as a heat spreader, and change the
convection currents in your oven. They block direct radiated heat, though
they radiate some on their own.

Maybe you should start with quarry tiles if this an experiment in
evening out the temperature of your oven - five 8" tiles - one of them cut
squarely in half - will fit the shelf in most consumer ovens nicely.

Speaking of which, I need to toss mine and replace them with a fibrament
stone. Now that I'm all fiscally solvent & making what I'm worth again and
all that.
Eric Jorgensen

silentking > wrote:

> But I thought the Baking Stone (in addition to what you stated) was to
> even out the temperature inside the oven to keep it at a constant
> temperature. Is this an additional function of the stone? My oven is the
> worst one ever made (really!) and I was thinking of getting some
> Baking Stones for this purpose.

Well, yes and no. They act somewhat as a heat spreader, and change the
convection currents in your oven. They block direct radiated heat, though
they radiate some on their own.

Maybe you should start with quarry tiles if this an experiment in
evening out the temperature of your oven - five 8" tiles - one of them cut
squarely in half - will fit the shelf in most consumer ovens nicely.

Speaking of which, I need to toss mine and replace them with a fibrament
stone. Now that I'm all fiscally solvent & making what I'm worth again and
all that.
silentking

Eric Jorgensen wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 01:40:06 -0500
> silentking > wrote:
>

>>But I thought the Baking Stone (in addition to what you stated) was to
>>even out the temperature inside the oven to keep it at a constant
>>temperature. Is this an additional function of the stone? My oven is the
>> worst one ever made (really!) and I was thinking of getting some
>>Baking Stones for this purpose.

> Well, yes and no. They act somewhat as a heat spreader, and change the
> convection currents in your oven. They block direct radiated heat, though
> they radiate some on their own.
>
> Maybe you should start with quarry tiles if this an experiment in
> evening out the temperature of your oven - five 8" tiles - one of them cut
> squarely in half - will fit the shelf in most consumer ovens nicely.
>
> Speaking of which, I need to toss mine and replace them with a fibrament
> stone. Now that I'm all fiscally solvent & making what I'm worth again and
> all that.

Goodness, that was a quick responce! lol Thanks for the suggestion, I
will try that first.

silentking

Eric Jorgensen wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 01:40:06 -0500
> silentking > wrote:
>

>>But I thought the Baking Stone (in addition to what you stated) was to
>>even out the temperature inside the oven to keep it at a constant
>>temperature. Is this an additional function of the stone? My oven is the
>> worst one ever made (really!) and I was thinking of getting some
>>Baking Stones for this purpose.

> Well, yes and no. They act somewhat as a heat spreader, and change the
> convection currents in your oven. They block direct radiated heat, though
> they radiate some on their own.
>
> Maybe you should start with quarry tiles if this an experiment in
> evening out the temperature of your oven - five 8" tiles - one of them cut
> squarely in half - will fit the shelf in most consumer ovens nicely.
>
> Speaking of which, I need to toss mine and replace them with a fibrament
> stone. Now that I'm all fiscally solvent & making what I'm worth again and
> all that.

Goodness, that was a quick responce! lol Thanks for the suggestion, I
will try that first.

Eric Jorgensen

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 01:55:01 -0500
silentking > wrote:

> Goodness, that was a quick responce! lol Thanks for the suggestion, I
> will try that first.

Oh yeah, make sure they are unglazed.
Eric Jorgensen

silentking > wrote:

> Goodness, that was a quick responce! lol Thanks for the suggestion, I
> will try that first.

Oh yeah, make sure they are unglazed.

My instructions said to never get it wet -
I scrape any baked on pieces with a dough scraper. Over time, it will
darken a bit.
Beats those pizza pans with the holes. I never remove it from my oven
when baking or roasting anything.