Old 21-12-2004, 04:22 PM
Vox Humana

""."" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Vox Humana wrote:

I'm not suggesting anyone experiment with some kid. Talking to the kid's
parents is a sensible choice but I wouldn't do it because I fear
litigation. Maybe the parents are willing to see if the kid is still
allergic to eggs. If it is not a severe allergy it might be worth trying.
They can just keep some Reactine or Aerius around to relieve the itching.

If it was a friend's kid I would be willing to put forth the effort. Then
again, I have never known anyone to sue anyone over something like this.

I have years of experience with this subject in the medical field. People
often say they are allergic to things when they aren't. When you start
asking questions you find that they have no idea why they think they have an
allergy or the consequences of eating something or taking a particular drug
are not consistent with an allergic reaction. There are a variety of
reasons why this happens. Unfortunately you never know for sure so you have
to play it safe. This is doubly true with kids because you can't get
reliable information from them in an interview. I think some parents say
that the kids have allergies because it makes them "special"

One problem with the "try and see" method that you suggest is that if they
are truly allergic to something, the next reaction could be anaphylaxis.
You may have a mild to moderate reaction with the first couple of exposures
and then have a massive, life-threatening reaction.

Old 22-12-2004, 06:51 AM
RsH

There are egg substitutes that you can use instead of eggs. They can
often be found in the Kosher section of a supermarket's dairy area,
and come in cartons. No egg at all... totally vegetable. I know SOME
people who use it in baking...

Also, if the allergy is to the yoke, you can buy egg white and use it
instead. That is a common allergy, but you need to check with the
allergist to be certain.

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...e/id-1081.html has the
following as egg substitutes [I've removed the ones that add their own
flavour].

* 1/4 cup of any kind of tofu blended with the liquid ingredients
in the recipe. Light or reduced-fat tofu cuts down on the fat and
calories in the finished product.

* 1-1/2 teaspoons of a commercial vegetarian egg substitute, such
as Ener-G Egg Replacer, mixed with 2 tablespoons of water. This
product is a combination of vegetable starches and works wonderfully
in virtually any recipe that calls for eggs. Natural foods stores sell
it in 1-pound boxes.

[http://www.veganessentials.com/catal...g-replacer.htm covers
that egg replacer, which you likely can make yourself as the
ingredient list is provided.]

* A heaping tablespoon of soy flour or bean flour mixed with a
tablespoon of water. This mixture works similarly to vegetarian egg
replacer.

* 2 tablespoons of cornstarch beaten with 2 tablespoons of water.
This, too, works much like vegetarian egg replacer.

* 1 tablespoon of finely ground flaxseeds whipped with 1/4 cup of
water. The flaxseeds gel and bind with the other ingredients.

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004, Spoons wrote:

Hi all,

I'm having a kids cookie decorating party next week and there's 2 kis that
have allergies to nuts & eggs. I wanted to do gingerbread cookie and have
the kids decorate them but I can't find any eggfree recipes. Or can someone
tell me a good cut out cookie recipe that's has not eggs.

R.S. (Bob) Heuman - Toronto, ON, Canada
Independent Computer Security Consulting
Web Site Auditing for Compliance with Standards
or
Copyright retained.
My opinions - no one else's...
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!
Old 23-12-2004, 01:04 PM
Sarah Dixon

don't know whether you found a receipe or not but you could try the
gingerbread receipe at www.deliaonline.com Just search for
gingerbread. It is an English receipe so you may find it difficult to
get ingredients. I have a friend with an egg allergy so I know how
difficult it is to find receipes without eggs in.

Sarah