Old 02-01-2005, 02:55 AM
Scott

Any recommendations for making mint extract? What sort of concentration
of mint leaves might be necessary--and do mint leaves and alcohol even
make good extract?

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/

Old 02-01-2005, 03:02 AM
Jerry

Now I can understand after reading Vox's url about the possibility of
vanilla toxicity, etc. why one would want to make their own vanilla. Since
price is being discussed here, I might ask if your 6 pods + 190 proof grain
alcohol was a bit cheaper than the same amount of vanilla. Can you use it
teaspoon-for-teaspoon in your recipes?

I think this comment is directed to an earlier post I did.

My only use for the homemade vanilla is food preparation.

I only tried my own vanilla extraction out of curiousity and as a
possible project recommendation to my local herb society. Regardless
of toxicity, chemistry or happenstance flavoring foibles, the end
product turned out beyond expectations, and has pleased everyone I
sent it to as a stocking stuffer. Plus I had the thrill and pride of
crafting my own vanilla.

Not being in the vanilla trade I never gave a thought to the cost
efficiency of doing my own extracting. If you have need for concern
with the price of materials, time tradeoff, volume benefits and shelf
life, I would agree that one should purchase retail vanilla with the
best reputation available at $15-20 per 8 oz. container.

I've always preferred being a DIYer--that's just who I am.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:02 AM
Jerry

[...]

Imitation crab? Polly Esther[_2_] General Cooking 49 10-07-2011 09:33 PM
Imitation Pizza & Imitation Bread (with pics) wff_ng_7 General Cooking 4 27-05-2007 06:59 PM
making strawberry ice cream - vanilla extract of vanilla bean? [email protected] General Cooking 5 01-05-2007 02:06 PM
Imitation Food Mojav Restaurants 45 01-01-2004 05:13 AM
Imitation crabmeat Kingman Wylie General Cooking 0 22-10-2003 10:46 PM