Old 19-12-2004, 07:05 PM
Dave Fouchey

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 14:10:16 +0200, Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady
wrote:

NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:20:49 -0500, Dave Fouchey
wrote:

Davida, I use Vodka and Vanilla Beans cut open lengthwise and it does
a marvelous job of making Vanilla Extract with no aftertaste from the
Vodka at all. You might try it with a pint of Vodka and see if you
like it.

Could do. Thanks.

By the way my eldest Daughter's name is Davida, neat to see another
one.

Cool! Let's see... that makes #16 I think. I keep a running track
of all the "Davidas" I meet or hear about.

(Hm... Dave... Davida - you named her after yourself, didn't you?)

No the Wife did, I was embarrassed..;-)

Dave

Old 19-12-2004, 07:06 PM
Dave Fouchey

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:53:46 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

"Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

Davida, I use Vodka and Vanilla Beans cut open lengthwise and it does
a marvelous job of making Vanilla Extract with no aftertaste from the
Vodka at all. You might try it with a pint of Vodka and see if you
like it.

Could do. Thanks.

You can often buy grain alcohol in liquor stores. Our state liquor agencies
sell it. You could use that instead of vodka.

Yup Ever clear is one brand it works ok but seems to be a bit "harsh"
as compared to Vodka.

Dave

Old 19-12-2004, 08:04 PM
Dave Bell

Dave Fouchey wrote:

You can often buy grain alcohol in liquor stores. Our state liquor agencies
sell it. You could use that instead of vodka.

Yup Ever clear is one brand it works ok but seems to be a bit "harsh"
as compared to Vodka.

Dave

Well, *yeah*, at roughly double the alcohol concentration!
Everclear would be excellent for the extractio, though. I'd start with
the split pean in the straight alcohol, then, after a week or three,
dilute it to (what is vanilla, 35%?) strength with pure water, and leave
it a bit longer, to extract anything not soluble in alcohol.

(another) Dave

Old 19-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Dave Fouchey

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:04:45 GMT, Dave Bell
wrote:

Dave Fouchey wrote:

You can often buy grain alcohol in liquor stores. Our state liquor agencies
sell it. You could use that instead of vodka.

Yup Ever clear is one brand it works ok but seems to be a bit "harsh"
as compared to Vodka.

Dave

Well, *yeah*, at roughly double the alcohol concentration!
Everclear would be excellent for the extractio, though. I'd start with
the split pean in the straight alcohol, then, after a week or three,
dilute it to (what is vanilla, 35%?) strength with pure water, and leave
it a bit longer, to extract anything not soluble in alcohol.

(another) Dave

No wonder PJ was so potent.....;-) (PJ Grape Juice, Alcohol, other
juices mixed up in a tub and well you can guess the rest...ah college)

Understood on the dilution still there is just "something" about Pure
Grain Alcohol that seems harsh even diluted. By the way I used
charcoal filtered water for dilution.

Dave F.
Old 19-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Dave Bell

Dave Fouchey wrote:

No wonder PJ was so potent.....;-) (PJ Grape Juice, Alcohol, other
juices mixed up in a tub and well you can guess the rest...ah college)

Ah, yes... I remember a few parties. Sort of.

Understood on the dilution still there is just "something" about Pure
Grain Alcohol that seems harsh even diluted. By the way I used
charcoal filtered water for dilution.

Dave F.

I agree, it does have a harsher character. And yes, filter the water, or
use distilled or de-ionized...

Dave B.
Old 21-12-2004, 07:59 AM
Jerry

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:43:14 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

"graham" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"pete" wrote in message
oups.com...
hey,

thanks for the tip

there seems to be some logic
to not using the Real Van if you add it before baking

pete

But why use artificial when the real stuff is readily available?
Graham

For the same reason people buy vermeil jewelry with cubic zirconium when
solid gold and diamonds are readily available.

I purchased a 1/4 lb of vanilla beans for $58 (approx 2 doz pods) from
Atlantic Spice (online at www.atlanticspice.com severlal monts ago. I
tried a half-dozen slit open pods in a pint of 190 proof grain
alcohol, and later diluted it with distilled water to about 40%. I let
it infuse for a bit over 90 days, tipping it over a few times every
week. I was totally happy with the result. I even made small gifts
with used airplane liquor bottles, and all who got them have commented
very favorabl on the result. I've got a second batch going presently.
Old 21-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Vox Humana

"Jerry" wrote in message

I purchased a 1/4 lb of vanilla beans for $58 (approx 2 doz pods) from
Atlantic Spice (online at www.atlanticspice.com severlal monts ago. I
tried a half-dozen slit open pods in a pint of 190 proof grain
alcohol, and later diluted it with distilled water to about 40%. I let
it infuse for a bit over 90 days, tipping it over a few times every
week. I was totally happy with the result. I even made small gifts
with used airplane liquor bottles, and all who got them have commented
very favorabl on the result. I've got a second batch going presently.

I'll sent you a Mason jar in a box with return postage!

Old 23-12-2004, 12:19 AM

thanks - I won't buy the real thing anymore - I only use it in baking.
This discussion might do well down the hall in the frugal living ng!!

Old 23-12-2004, 12:22 AM

So, your cost per ounce is.....? Forgive me if I can't do the
arithmetic - I had a glass of pinor noir with dinner and I can barely
type.

Old 24-12-2004, 10:30 AM
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Sat, 18
Dec 2004 17:49:41 GMT, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
"graham" reported:

"pete" wrote in message
roups.com...
hey,

thanks for the tip

there seems to be some logic
to not using the Real Van if you add it before baking

pete

But why use artificial when the real stuff is readily available?
Graham

Price is the main factor, I believe.

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il

Old 24-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Raj V

Here in Houston, you can buy real vanilla extract from Mexico very cheaply.
We have large grocery stores that specialize in Mexican food. My wife bought
a fancy looking 236 ml bottle from a Wisconsin specialty company for $12+
and it is just not as good as the Mexican. The 750ml bottle from Mexico cost
about $7. Using it in baked goods has never seemed to degrade the taste. For
that price why use imitation?

Raj

Imitation crab? Polly Esther[_2_] General Cooking 49 10-07-2011 09:33 PM
Imitation Pizza & Imitation Bread (with pics) wff_ng_7 General Cooking 4 27-05-2007 06:59 PM
making strawberry ice cream - vanilla extract of vanilla bean? [email protected] General Cooking 5 01-05-2007 02:06 PM
Imitation Food Mojav Restaurants 45 01-01-2004 05:13 AM
Imitation crabmeat Kingman Wylie General Cooking 0 22-10-2003 10:46 PM