FoodBanter.com

-   -   mincemeat strudel/roulade? (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/48015-mincemeat-strudel-roulade.html)

Johnanne R Johnson 15-12-2004 11:22 PM

mincemeat strudel/roulade?

Does anyone remember the old paperback cookbooks that used to come out
like once a month maybe in the seventies? (not sure) Taste of Home or Home
Cooking or something like that. Anyway, there was a mincemeat recipe for
something like a strudel in one of them. Basically there was a recipe for
a kind of pastry dough that you rolled out, spread the mincemeat on,
rolled up like a jelly roll, placed in a ring pan and then cut slits in
the top. I can't remember if there was any rising involved or not. It was
like a brunch type recipe thing for the holidays, and after it came out of
the oven, you'd drizzle glaze over the top and sprinkle with sliced
almonds, (I think?)
Can anyone remember this recipe or post something like it?

Vox Humana 15-12-2004 11:58 PM

"Johnanne R Johnson" > wrote in message
> Does anyone remember the old paperback cookbooks that used to come out
> like once a month maybe in the seventies? (not sure) Taste of Home or Home
> Cooking or something like that. Anyway, there was a mincemeat recipe for
> something like a strudel in one of them. Basically there was a recipe for
> a kind of pastry dough that you rolled out, spread the mincemeat on,
> rolled up like a jelly roll, placed in a ring pan and then cut slits in
> the top. I can't remember if there was any rising involved or not. It was
> like a brunch type recipe thing for the holidays, and after it came out of
> the oven, you'd drizzle glaze over the top and sprinkle with sliced
> almonds, (I think?)
> Can anyone remember this recipe or post something like it?

Authentic strudel dough is just flour, water, salt, and very small amount of
oil. There is no leavening. It is mostly a technique driven product.
After rolling and stretching the dough, bread crumbs are spread on the
dough, filling spread on the crumbs, and then more crumbs sprinkled over the
filling. The strudel is then wrapped and rolled.

If you don't want to make strudel dough, you can use prepared phyllo dough.
There is also prepared mincemeat available. To make this in an authentic
way would be a big undertaking. It is something that I have done just for
the experience but I wouldn't do it on a regular basis.

Here is a page that discusses strudel:
http://www.baking911.com/pastry_strudel.htm

If you want a good reference for making strudel, take a look at "The Pie and
Pastry Bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum. She also has instruction for
substituting commercial phyllo dough for strudel dough. Beranbaum highly
recommends "Vintage Mincemeat" made by the Pastillion (or Pastilion) company
in Wisconsin. I can't find a source for this on the internet but someone
may have a source or another recommendation. Here is a link to some recipes
if you want to make it yourself.
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ncemeat+recipe

Ribitt 16-12-2004 12:32 AM

We used to make something like this, but it was more of a tortiere. Regular
pastry, and a meat filling. I sure there are lots of tortiere recipes
around. Made long and skinny, slashed, served with sour cream.

Scott 16-12-2004 05:16 AM

In article >,
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> If you want a good reference for making strudel, take a look at "The Pie and
> Pastry Bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum. She also has instruction for
> substituting commercial phyllo dough for strudel dough. Beranbaum highly
> recommends "Vintage Mincemeat" made by the Pastillion (or Pastilion) company
> in Wisconsin. I can't find a source for this on the internet but someone
> may have a source or another recommendation.

She says that Postilion's mincemeat is available from La Cuisine, but I
don't see it on their site.
<http://www.lacuisineus.com/>

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>

Scott 16-12-2004 05:16 AM

Vox Humana 16-12-2004 05:29 AM

"Scott" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>
> > If you want a good reference for making strudel, take a look at "The Pie

and
> > Pastry Bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum. She also has instruction for
> > substituting commercial phyllo dough for strudel dough. Beranbaum

highly
> > recommends "Vintage Mincemeat" made by the Pastillion (or Pastilion)

company
> > in Wisconsin. I can't find a source for this on the internet but

someone
> > may have a source or another recommendation.

> She says that Postilion's mincemeat is available from La Cuisine, but I
> don't see it on their site.
> <http://www.lacuisineus.com/>

I did a web search and found that reference. When I clicked on the link,
the page wasn't available. I went to their site and it is nowhere to be
found. I can't find a website for the company either. If I read the google
search right, they stuff was about $20 for an 18 oz. jar. It should be
incredible!

Vox Humana 16-12-2004 05:29 AM

Wayne Boatwright 16-12-2004 07:24 AM

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

> "Scott" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>>
>> > If you want a good reference for making strudel, take a look at "The
>> > Pie and Pastry Bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum. She also has
>> > instruction for substituting commercial phyllo dough for strudel
>> > dough. Beranbaum highly recommends "Vintage Mincemeat" made by the
>> > Pastillion (or Pastilion) company in Wisconsin. I can't find a
>> > source for this on the internet but someone may have a source or
>> > another recommendation.

>> She says that Postilion's mincemeat is available from La Cuisine, but I
>> don't see it on their site.
>> <http://www.lacuisineus.com/>
>>

> I did a web search and found that reference. When I clicked on the
> link, the page wasn't available. I went to their site and it is nowhere
> to be found. I can't find a website for the company either. If I read
> the google search right, they stuff was about $20 for an 18 oz. jar. It
> should be incredible!

Incredible mincemeat is incredibly easy to make, and while not cheap, is
nowhere near $20 a jar. For the holidays I have used Delia Smith's recipe
for Christmas Mincemeat, and a recipe shared by a poster, June Fawthrop, on
uk.food+drink.misc. Both are excellent.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Vox Humana 16-12-2004 05:16 PM

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in
> :

> Incredible mincemeat is incredibly easy to make, and while not cheap, is
> nowhere near $20 a jar. For the holidays I have used Delia Smith's recipe
> for Christmas Mincemeat, and a recipe shared by a poster, June Fawthrop,

on
> uk.food+drink.misc. Both are excellent.

I might give that a look. I haven't had any mincemeat that I would say was
worth trying again and always wondered if I hadn't just been the victim of
substandard commercial pie filling.

Dave Bell 16-12-2004 10:53 PM

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Incredible mincemeat is incredibly easy to make, and while not cheap, is
> nowhere near $20 a jar. For the holidays I have used Delia Smith's recipe
> for Christmas Mincemeat, and a recipe shared by a poster, June Fawthrop, on
> uk.food+drink.misc. Both are excellent.
> Wayne in Phoenix

June Fawthrop's does look delicious!
What have you used for the "4 tsp mixed spice"?

Dave

Dave Bell 16-12-2004 10:53 PM

Wayne Boatwright 17-12-2004 01:51 AM

Dave Bell > wrote in
rea.net:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Incredible mincemeat is incredibly easy to make, and while not cheap,
>> is nowhere near $20 a jar. For the holidays I have used Delia Smith's
>> recipe for Christmas Mincemeat, and a recipe shared by a poster, June
>> Fawthrop, on uk.food+drink.misc. Both are excellent.
>> Wayne in Phoenix

> June Fawthrop's does look delicious!
> What have you used for the "4 tsp mixed spice"?
>
> Dave

British "mixed spice" is a fairly classic combination, but commercial
preparations put their own signature on it with varying quantities and,
occasionally, different ingredients.

After considerable research, the following combination was what I worked
out. I used in in the mincemeat, of course, and also used it in my pumpkin
pies for Thanksgiving. We really liked it. I've made a moderate quantity
to keep on hand since it's a versatile blend.

If you have whole spices of any of the following, put them in a spice mill
along with those that are pre-ground, and grind all to a fine powder. Even
if all your spices are pre-ground, I believe there's some benefit in
putting them all in the spice mill to insure a perfect blending.

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground mace
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teasopon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground coriander

I found a few formulations that also included either or both of caraway
seed and black peppercorns. Because mixed spice is used in such a large
variety of foods, I concluded that those weren't best suited for my
purpose.

HTH

Wayne Boatwright 17-12-2004 01:51 AM

Dave Bell > wrote in
rea.net:

Wayne Boatwright 17-12-2004 02:00 AM

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> "Vox Humana" > wrote in
>> :

>> Incredible mincemeat is incredibly easy to make, and while not cheap,
>> is nowhere near $20 a jar. For the holidays I have used Delia Smith's
>> recipe for Christmas Mincemeat, and a recipe shared by a poster, June
>> Fawthrop, on uk.food+drink.misc. Both are excellent.

> I might give that a look. I haven't had any mincemeat that I would say
> was worth trying again and always wondered if I hadn't just been the
> victim of substandard commercial pie filling.

I would have to agree. Most commercial mincemeat, at least that commonly
available in the US, is not worth a second look. Even the least expensive
brands are around $8 for a jar that isn't adequate to fill a decent pie.

Do give one of the recipes a try...you'll be glad you did.

BTW, you may already know this, but more modern recipes including the two I
referenced do not actually contain meat, but do contain suet which is
essential. Shredded suet is next to impossible to find in US shops, but
most any butcher will obtain it and put it through the grinder for you. I
bought several pounds and put the remainder in the freezer. I plan on
using it to try some other British fare like Spotted Dick, Suet Pudding,
etc.

One last thing... June makes batches of mincemeat throughout the year, but
insists that it's best to use after aging for some length of time. Many
folks make it nearly a year ahead for the holidays.

Wayne Boatwright 17-12-2004 02:00 AM

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

Vox Humana 17-12-2004 02:06 AM

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in
> :
>

> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> >> "Vox Humana" > wrote in
> >> :

Shredded suet is next to impossible to find in US shops, but
> most any butcher will obtain it and put it through the grinder for you. I
> bought several pounds and put the remainder in the freezer. I plan on
> using it to try some other British fare like Spotted Dick, Suet Pudding,
> etc.

I can get suet in the meat department of the supermarket. Could just shred
it in the food processor?

Raj V 17-12-2004 02:57 AM

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote:
> Incredible mincemeat is incredibly easy to make, and while not cheap, is
> nowhere near $20 a jar. For the holidays I have used Delia Smith's recipe
> for Christmas Mincemeat, and a recipe shared by a poster, June Fawthrop,

on
> uk.food+drink.misc. Both are excellent.

I think I have found Delia's recipe but a google groups search does not turn
up the Fawthrop recipe. If you have it, would you mind posting it?

I'll bet there are darned few people who grew up as I did in N.E. Oklahoma,
and I'm only 63. A farm on a gravel road, 20 miles to the nearest grocery,
no electricity, wood cooking stove, kerosene lamps, well water, a working
smoke house, hunting that was not considered a sport but subsistence, fresh
from the udder milk, butter from a churn. Every fall our family butchered a
cow and a pig. The smoke house was tended for weeks with hickory. I
distinctly remember my mother making mincemeat, the meat coming from the
cow's head. Yeah, I wasn't impressed at the time. Wow, talk about being
anachronism!

Thanks,
Raj

Raj V 17-12-2004 02:57 AM

Dave Bell 17-12-2004 03:01 AM

Raj V wrote:

> I think I have found Delia's recipe but a google groups search does not turn
> up the Fawthrop recipe. If you have it, would you mind posting it?

> Raj

I located it, but don't have a link to it handy. It was posted by Dave
Fawthrop on November 15th this year, at 15:46 (UT), if I remember the
time correctly. Date is certain, though...

Dave

Wayne Boatwright 17-12-2004 04:34 AM

"Raj V" > wrote in
:

> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote:
>> Incredible mincemeat is incredibly easy to make, and while not cheap,
>> is nowhere near $20 a jar. For the holidays I have used Delia Smith's
>> recipe for Christmas Mincemeat, and a recipe shared by a poster, June
>> Fawthrop, on uk.food+drink.misc. Both are excellent.

> I think I have found Delia's recipe but a google groups search does not
> turn up the Fawthrop recipe. If you have it, would you mind posting it?
>
> I'll bet there are darned few people who grew up as I did in N.E.
> Oklahoma, and I'm only 63. A farm on a gravel road, 20 miles to the
> nearest grocery, no electricity, wood cooking stove, kerosene lamps,
> well water, a working smoke house, hunting that was not considered a
> sport but subsistence, fresh from the udder milk, butter from a churn.
> Every fall our family butchered a cow and a pig. The smoke house was
> tended for weeks with hickory. I distinctly remember my mother making
> mincemeat, the meat coming from the cow's head. Yeah, I wasn't impressed
> at the time. Wow, talk about being anachronism!

Well, your age is between mine and my dad's, but he grew up under
precisely the same details as you describe, and I witnessed them as a very
young child. The only difference was that they didn't hunt for meat very
often. They butchered their own animals and smoked their own meat, but
they also ate a lot of chickens raised on their farm. I also remember the
iceman delivering blocks of ice for the icebox and the milkhouse.

> Thanks,
> Raj

From June Fawthrop...

Wayne Boatwright 17-12-2004 04:34 AM

"Raj V" > wrote in
:

> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote:
>> Incredible mincemeat is incredibly easy to make, and while not cheap,
>> is nowhere near $20 a jar. For the holidays I have used Delia Smith's
>> recipe for Christmas Mincemeat, and a recipe shared by a poster, June
>> Fawthrop, on uk.food+drink.misc. Both are excellent.

> I think I have found Delia's recipe but a google groups search does not
> turn up the Fawthrop recipe. If you have it, would you mind posting it?
>
> I'll bet there are darned few people who grew up as I did in N.E.
> Oklahoma, and I'm only 63. A farm on a gravel road, 20 miles to the
> nearest grocery, no electricity, wood cooking stove, kerosene lamps,
> well water, a working smoke house, hunting that was not considered a
> sport but subsistence, fresh from the udder milk, butter from a churn.
> Every fall our family butchered a cow and a pig. The smoke house was
> tended for weeks with hickory. I distinctly remember my mother making
> mincemeat, the meat coming from the cow's head. Yeah, I wasn't impressed
> at the time. Wow, talk about being anachronism!

Well, your age is between mine and my dad's, but he grew up under
precisely the same details as you describe, and I witnessed them as a very
young child. The only difference was that they didn't hunt for meat very
often. They butchered their own animals and smoked their own meat, but
they also ate a lot of chickens raised on their farm. I also remember the
iceman delivering blocks of ice for the icebox and the milkhouse.

> Thanks,
> Raj

From June Fawthrop...

RsH 20-12-2004 05:56 AM

Does anyone have an older, meat based, mincemeat recipe as practiced
in Scotland instead of these fruit based ones? After all, that is the
real mincemeat that I thought one should be aiming at.

RsH

> or >
Copyright retained. My opinions - no one else's...
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!

Margaret Suran 20-12-2004 03:08 PM

RsH wrote:
> Does anyone have an older, meat based, mincemeat recipe as
> practiced in Scotland instead of these fruit based ones? After
> all, that is the real mincemeat that I thought one should be aiming
> at.
>
> RsH

Mince Meat For Pies, Settlement Cook Book, 24th Edition, 1941

3 lbs meat, chopped

1 1/2 lbs beef suet, chopped

6 lbs apples, chopped

3 lbs raisins, seeded (I suppose that means without seeds)

2 lbs currants

L lbs citron, chopped fine

1/2 rind of lemon and orange

l oz cinnamon, ground

1 nutmeg, grated

1/2 oz cloves

3 lbs ground sugar

1 quart boiled cider

1 quart molasses

Salt to taste

Cook all together for 2 hours and seal in glass jars.

Here is another one from the same book.

Mince Meat For Pies

2 1/2 lbs. fresh boiled tongue, skinned and chopped fine

or

2 1/2 lbs. beef rump, chopped

2 lbs sugar

1 orange peel, cut fine

1 nutmeg

2 lbs raisins

1/2 lb suet

1/2 lb currants

l lb citron, cut fine

1/8 oz cloves, mace

1/2 oz cinnamon

1 cup cider

1 quart sour wine

1 cup brandy

Mix all dry ingredients. Put into a preserving kettle with cider and
cook slowly about 2 hours; add wine and brandy; put away in glass jars.

When ready to bake pies, add chopped apples and pecan nut meats.