silentking

Default New to Baking

Hello everyone.
I have just started to teach myself how to bake.
For background, my father was a gourmet chef and I have worked in top
tier restaurants for 19 years as Front of house staff, so I'm no slouch
when it comes to knowing food.
The problem that I'm having is when I bake a cake I get a little raised
edge around the edge of my 9 inch round cakes.
Is this normal? Am I putting too much batter in the pan? Is my oven too hot?
Thanks for the help.
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Fri, 10
Dec 2004 01:06:35 -0500, during the rec.food.baking Community News
Flash silentking > reported:

>The problem that I'm having is when I bake a cake I get a little raised
>edge around the edge of my 9 inch round cakes.
>Is this normal? Am I putting too much batter in the pan? Is my oven too hot?
>Thanks for the help.

I'm not an expert but I'm thinking that you probably roll the batter
around the edges of the pan before you put it in the oven - in an
effort to try to get the sides of the cake to rise as high as the
middle. If you do that, and you get it too high up the sides, it will
make that little edge.

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>
Vox Humana

"silentking" > wrote in message
. com...
> Hello everyone.
> I have just started to teach myself how to bake.
> For background, my father was a gourmet chef and I have worked in top
> tier restaurants for 19 years as Front of house staff, so I'm no slouch
> when it comes to knowing food.
> The problem that I'm having is when I bake a cake I get a little raised
> edge around the edge of my 9 inch round cakes.
> Is this normal? Am I putting too much batter in the pan? Is my oven too

hot?
> Thanks for the help.

The most likely cause is the temperature. It might be that the oven needs
to be calibrated, the pan may be too dark (as opposed to a shiny metal pan),
or you may be baking it too high in the oven. On the other hand, the problem
might be relative. That is, the edge could be normal and the center sunken.
That is an entirely different issue. How is the texture of the center of
the cake?

silentking

The texure is wonderful throughout the entire cake. I am thinking it is
a temperature problem as well. I'm going to invest in some new equipment
tomorrow (digital scale, thermometers) so I will be able to check the
accuracy of my oven.
Thanks for the help!

Vox Humana wrote:
> "silentking" > wrote in message
> . com...
>
>>Hello everyone.
>>I have just started to teach myself how to bake.
>>For background, my father was a gourmet chef and I have worked in top
>>tier restaurants for 19 years as Front of house staff, so I'm no slouch
>>when it comes to knowing food.
>>The problem that I'm having is when I bake a cake I get a little raised
>>edge around the edge of my 9 inch round cakes.
>>Is this normal? Am I putting too much batter in the pan? Is my oven too

> hot?
>
>>Thanks for the help.

> The most likely cause is the temperature. It might be that the oven needs
> to be calibrated, the pan may be too dark (as opposed to a shiny metal pan),
> or you may be baking it too high in the oven. On the other hand, the problem
> might be relative. That is, the edge could be normal and the center sunken.
> That is an entirely different issue. How is the texture of the center of
> the cake?

silentking