Diane W. Saunders

Default High Cake Layers

Good day, lovely ladies and gentlemen -- yet again I am asking for
help -- in looking over cakes purchased from a bakery they are always
rather high -- even the two layers -- how can I get my cakes to rise
in the same fashion????? No matter what kind of layer cake I make I
can never get it to rise as in the bakery version -- any responses are
always appreciated --
Vox Humana

"Diane W. Saunders" > wrote in message
om...
> Good day, lovely ladies and gentlemen -- yet again I am asking for
> help -- in looking over cakes purchased from a bakery they are always
> rather high -- even the two layers -- how can I get my cakes to rise
> in the same fashion????? No matter what kind of layer cake I make I
> can never get it to rise as in the bakery version -- any responses are
> always appreciated --

Mine are high because of the amount of batter I put in the pans.

Vox Humana

"Diane W. Saunders" > wrote in message
om...
> Good day, lovely ladies and gentlemen -- yet again I am asking for
> help -- in looking over cakes purchased from a bakery they are always
> rather high -- even the two layers -- how can I get my cakes to rise
> in the same fashion????? No matter what kind of layer cake I make I
> can never get it to rise as in the bakery version -- any responses are
> always appreciated --

Mine are high because of the amount of batter I put in the pans.

Ginny

"Diane W. Saunders" > wrote in message
om...
> Good day, lovely ladies and gentlemen -- yet again I am asking for
> help -- in looking over cakes purchased from a bakery they are always
> rather high -- even the two layers -- how can I get my cakes to rise
> in the same fashion????? No matter what kind of layer cake I make I
> can never get it to rise as in the bakery version -- any responses are
> always appreciated --

I was told years ago that to make your cakes higher always use large grade A
eggs at room temperature, and regardless of how many eggs your told to add,
separate the yolk from the white ,add the yolks to the batter then....ALWAYS
BEAT THE EGG WHITES AND FOLD THEM INTO THE BATTER , LAST. it works for
me......Good luck ......Ginny

Ginny

"Diane W. Saunders" > wrote in message
om...
> Good day, lovely ladies and gentlemen -- yet again I am asking for
> help -- in looking over cakes purchased from a bakery they are always
> rather high -- even the two layers -- how can I get my cakes to rise
> in the same fashion????? No matter what kind of layer cake I make I
> can never get it to rise as in the bakery version -- any responses are
> always appreciated --

I was told years ago that to make your cakes higher always use large grade A
eggs at room temperature, and regardless of how many eggs your told to add,
separate the yolk from the white ,add the yolks to the batter then....ALWAYS
BEAT THE EGG WHITES AND FOLD THEM INTO THE BATTER , LAST. it works for
me......Good luck ......Ginny

Vox Humana

"Ginny" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Diane W. Saunders" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Good day, lovely ladies and gentlemen -- yet again I am asking for
> > help -- in looking over cakes purchased from a bakery they are always
> > rather high -- even the two layers -- how can I get my cakes to rise
> > in the same fashion????? No matter what kind of layer cake I make I
> > can never get it to rise as in the bakery version -- any responses are
> > always appreciated --

> I was told years ago that to make your cakes higher always use large grade

> eggs at room temperature, and regardless of how many eggs your told to

add,
> separate the yolk from the white ,add the yolks to the batter

then....ALWAYS
> BEAT THE EGG WHITES AND FOLD THEM INTO THE BATTER , LAST. it works

for
> me......Good luck ......Ginny

That will probably work, but it also changes the texture. Of course if you
are already making a foam type cake, it isn't applicable. Aside from
properly preparing your batter and getting it into the oven immediately, you
can get higher cakes by putting more batter, within reason, into the pan.
You can also tort or split the layer, add filing, and then stack. That
always makes the cake higher and allow you to add flavorful fillings.

Vox Humana

"Ginny" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Diane W. Saunders" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Good day, lovely ladies and gentlemen -- yet again I am asking for
> > help -- in looking over cakes purchased from a bakery they are always
> > rather high -- even the two layers -- how can I get my cakes to rise
> > in the same fashion????? No matter what kind of layer cake I make I
> > can never get it to rise as in the bakery version -- any responses are
> > always appreciated --

> I was told years ago that to make your cakes higher always use large grade

> eggs at room temperature, and regardless of how many eggs your told to

add,
> separate the yolk from the white ,add the yolks to the batter

then....ALWAYS
> BEAT THE EGG WHITES AND FOLD THEM INTO THE BATTER , LAST. it works

for
> me......Good luck ......Ginny

That will probably work, but it also changes the texture. Of course if you
are already making a foam type cake, it isn't applicable. Aside from
properly preparing your batter and getting it into the oven immediately, you
can get higher cakes by putting more batter, within reason, into the pan.
You can also tort or split the layer, add filing, and then stack. That
always makes the cake higher and allow you to add flavorful fillings.

zena

I am in search of recipes of making style christmas cake
zena

I am in search of recipes of making style christmas cake
Stell

hi i need some help to make that cake
thank you

Stell

hi i need some help to make that cake
thank you
Denise Jackson Walker

zena wrote:
> I am in search of recipes of making style christmas cake

Red Velvet is very popular this time of year. There's a magazine
special issue out right now on most news stands of Southern Living's
Best Recipes of 2004. In it, there are several cakes, only one of which
is a beautiful chocolate coconut cake that looks absolutely gorgeous.
There's also a Pecan Pie Cake, a Red Velvet Cake with sugared flower
petals and white chocolate curls. Very pretty sitting on a Christmas
table! If you cannot find this mag, I can send you copies of the
recipes you'd like. Just let me know which ones you'd like to have and
I'll get back to you asap.

~~Denise
Denise Jackson Walker

zena wrote:
> I am in search of recipes of making style christmas cake

Red Velvet is very popular this time of year. There's a magazine
special issue out right now on most news stands of Southern Living's
Best Recipes of 2004. In it, there are several cakes, only one of which
is a beautiful chocolate coconut cake that looks absolutely gorgeous.
There's also a Pecan Pie Cake, a Red Velvet Cake with sugared flower
petals and white chocolate curls. Very pretty sitting on a Christmas
table! If you cannot find this mag, I can send you copies of the
recipes you'd like. Just let me know which ones you'd like to have and
I'll get back to you asap.

~~Denise
Vox Humana

"Denise Jackson Walker" > wrote in message
> zena wrote:
> > I am in search of recipes of making style christmas cake

> Red Velvet is very popular this time of year.

God help us! Not the red velvet cake again.

Denise Jackson Walker

Vox Humana wrote:
> "Denise Jackson Walker" > wrote in message
>
>>zena wrote:
>>
>>>I am in search of recipes of making style christmas cake

>>Red Velvet is very popular this time of year.

> God help us! Not the red velvet cake again.

Sorry...didn't know it was so disliked here. I haven't made it myself
in years. I like coconut cake, though. It's fun to make white cupcakes
and frost them with coconut cake frosting(the 7-minute type and topped
with shredded coconut). We call them "snowballs" here. ~~Denise

Vox Humana

"Denise Jackson Walker" > wrote in message
> Vox Humana wrote:

> >>Red Velvet is very popular this time of year.

> > God help us! Not the red velvet cake again.
> >

> Sorry...didn't know it was so disliked here. I haven't made it myself
> in years. I like coconut cake, though. It's fun to make white cupcakes
> and frost them with coconut cake frosting(the 7-minute type and topped
> with shredded coconut). We call them "snowballs" here. ~~Denise

I vote for the snowballs. As for chocolate cake, please serve the red food
coloring on the side.

Wayne Boatwright

"Vox Humana" > wrote in news:rw3sd.27177$MG3.23851
@fe2.columbus.rr.com:

> "Denise Jackson Walker" > wrote in message
>> zena wrote:
>> > I am in search of recipes of making style christmas cake

>> Red Velvet is very popular this time of year.

> God help us! Not the red velvet cake again.

I've always thought, aside from the red food coloring issue, that red velvet
cake was actually rather tasteless and bland.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

"Vox Humana" > wrote in news:rw3sd.27177$MG3.23851
@fe2.columbus.rr.com:

> "Denise Jackson Walker" > wrote in message
>> zena wrote:
>> > I am in search of recipes of making style christmas cake

>> Red Velvet is very popular this time of year.

> God help us! Not the red velvet cake again.

I've always thought, aside from the red food coloring issue, that red velvet
cake was actually rather tasteless and bland.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

"Vox Humana" > wrote in news:rw3sd.27177$MG3.23851
@fe2.columbus.rr.com:

> "Denise Jackson Walker" > wrote in message
>> zena wrote:
>> > I am in search of recipes of making style christmas cake

>> Red Velvet is very popular this time of year.

> God help us! Not the red velvet cake again.

I've always thought, aside from the red food coloring issue, that red velvet
cake was actually rather tasteless and bland.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Vox Humana

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in news:rw3sd.27177$MG3.23851
> @fe2.columbus.rr.com:

> >> Red Velvet is very popular this time of year.

> > God help us! Not the red velvet cake again.

> I've always thought, aside from the red food coloring issue, that red

velvet
> cake was actually rather tasteless and bland.

Exactly. The primary reason to make the cake is so when it is cut, your
Aunt Matilda exclaims: "Praise the Lord, that cake sure is red!" It's not
like you can't easily find a better tasting cake.

Vox Humana

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in news:rw3sd.27177$MG3.23851
> @fe2.columbus.rr.com:

> >> Red Velvet is very popular this time of year.

> > God help us! Not the red velvet cake again.

> I've always thought, aside from the red food coloring issue, that red

velvet
> cake was actually rather tasteless and bland.

Exactly. The primary reason to make the cake is so when it is cut, your
Aunt Matilda exclaims: "Praise the Lord, that cake sure is red!" It's not
like you can't easily find a better tasting cake.

Eric Jorgensen

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 22:25:55 GMT
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> Exactly. The primary reason to make the cake is so when it is cut, your
> Aunt Matilda exclaims: "Praise the Lord, that cake sure is red!" It's
> not like you can't easily find a better tasting cake.

Ug. When i see that red crumb i think, "Oh geeze, not again!" because my
sister, who makes the finest cookies this side of the Mississippi, just
can't make one worth eating. It's not even the flavor, it's the texture.
Reminds me of what passes as 'artisan bread' at chain grocery stores, but
without the crust. And drier. I'll never be able to make cookies as well as
she does, but the red velvet cake is more of a cordura.
Eric Jorgensen

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 22:25:55 GMT
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> Exactly. The primary reason to make the cake is so when it is cut, your
> Aunt Matilda exclaims: "Praise the Lord, that cake sure is red!" It's
> not like you can't easily find a better tasting cake.

Ug. When i see that red crumb i think, "Oh geeze, not again!" because my
sister, who makes the finest cookies this side of the Mississippi, just
can't make one worth eating. It's not even the flavor, it's the texture.
Reminds me of what passes as 'artisan bread' at chain grocery stores, but
without the crust. And drier. I'll never be able to make cookies as well as
she does, but the red velvet cake is more of a cordura.
Eric Jorgensen

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 22:25:55 GMT
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> Exactly. The primary reason to make the cake is so when it is cut, your
> Aunt Matilda exclaims: "Praise the Lord, that cake sure is red!" It's
> not like you can't easily find a better tasting cake.

Ug. When i see that red crumb i think, "Oh geeze, not again!" because my
sister, who makes the finest cookies this side of the Mississippi, just
can't make one worth eating. It's not even the flavor, it's the texture.
Reminds me of what passes as 'artisan bread' at chain grocery stores, but
without the crust. And drier. I'll never be able to make cookies as well as
she does, but the red velvet cake is more of a cordura.
Raj V

Shirley Corriher in her wonderful book "Cookwise" states that "Baking powder
and soda do not make a single new bubble; they only enlarge bubbles already
there." She recommends beating the eggs and sugar for a cake for 7-8 minutes
to produce a lot of bubbles for the powder or soda to enlarge. I didn't know
that and it works! Always something new to learn. This might cause your cake
layers to rise more.

Raj

.. .