shipwreck

Default Bread Pudding...looking for recipe

Doesn't have to be simple. Prefer no rasins. Like a thicker, very
rich type pudding.

I make the "Mary Jane's Rice Pudding" recipe, so anything like that
would be great.

Vox, any suggestions?

Gary
Vox Humana

"shipwreck" > wrote in message
> Doesn't have to be simple. Prefer no rasins. Like a thicker, very
> rich type pudding.
>
> I make the "Mary Jane's Rice Pudding" recipe, so anything like that
> would be great.
>
> Vox, any suggestions?
>
> Gary

Bread pudding is just bread in a custard. For the custard (a royal) I use a
ratio of one egg per half cup of dairy. If you want something plain, then
use a neutral bread and don't add much sugar or spices to the mix. If you
want to make it more rich, then use challah or brioche for the bread and use
a higher fat dairy product like half and half or cream instead of milk.
(Bread pudding is a great way to use up stale cinnamon rolls!) You can use
brown sugar instead of white sugar. Skip the raisins if you want, or
substitute pecans and/or dried apricots. Use vanilla extract for something
simple or add other spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, or cardamom. Mix in some
pumpkin or apple slices for a seasonal pudding. Some people like to add
chocolate chips. You could add some pineapple and coconut for a tropical
twist. If you like a dense pudding use a high ratio of bread to dairy. I
like a very rich and creamy pudding so I tend to make a rich custard and use
a lot of it. I think of bread pudding as a technique that you can play
with. Once you understand the basic concept you can adapt it to your needs.
You could get creative and add cheese, vegetables, fish, or meat for a
savory bread pudding or just make it's cousin, the quiche.