FoodBanter.com

-   -   bread burst sides (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/455-bread-burst-sides.html)

ron doctors 08-03-2004 01:31 AM

bread burst sides

I have been baking bread for a long, long time and keep finding that
the top and sides will split open erraticaly. I put cuts in the top
and they help but often I get an "explosive" look to the loaves. I
bake on a stone in a 425 oven and then change to 375 after 15 minutes.
I bake two loaves side by side. The bread is a 60/40 mix of white and
whole wheat hard high gluten flour . I do all the processing by hand,
the first raise is overnight in a cool kitchen. The yeast is from a
starter that I made years ago.
It is fantastic bread with a great sour taste but I would like more
conmtrol over the appearance.
Ideas please or questions...
Thank you .

Kenneth 08-03-2004 01:47 AM

bread burst sides

On 7 Mar 2004 17:31:47 -0800, (ron doctors) wrote:

>I have been baking bread for a long, long time and keep finding that
>the top and sides will split open erraticaly. I put cuts in the top
>and they help but often I get an "explosive" look to the loaves. I
>bake on a stone in a 425 oven and then change to 375 after 15 minutes.
>I bake two loaves side by side. The bread is a 60/40 mix of white and
>whole wheat hard high gluten flour . I do all the processing by hand,
>the first raise is overnight in a cool kitchen. The yeast is from a
>starter that I made years ago.
>It is fantastic bread with a great sour taste but I would like more
>conmtrol over the appearance.
>Ideas please or questions...
>Thank you .

Howdy,

It sounds as if your final proof is not long enough... The bread is
trying to expand in the oven, but skins over first. It then bursts.

HTH,

--
Kenneth

ron doctors 09-03-2004 10:42 PM

bread burst sides

Kenneth > wrote in message >. ..
> On 7 Mar 2004 17:31:47 -0800, (ron doctors) wrote:
>
> >I have been baking bread for a long, long time and keep finding that
> >the top and sides will split open erraticaly. I put cuts in the top
> >and they help but often I get an "explosive" look to the loaves. I
> >bake on a stone in a 425 oven and then change to 375 after 15 minutes.
> >I bake two loaves side by side. The bread is a 60/40 mix of white and
> >whole wheat hard high gluten flour . I do all the processing by hand,
> >the first raise is overnight in a cool kitchen. The yeast is from a
> >starter that I made years ago.
> >It is fantastic bread with a great sour taste but I would like more
> >conmtrol over the appearance.
> >Ideas please or questions...
> >Thank you .

> Howdy,
>
> It sounds as if your final proof is not long enough... The bread is
> trying to expand in the oven, but skins over first. It then bursts.

Good idea to try since I haven't tried to let it rise more, Thanks I
will post back and let you all know how it goes. My test for the
second rise is to see if the bread recovers after being gently pressed
with a finger. My next bread baking will be in two lots with the first
as usual and the second after longer rise.

Tashi_Aunt 11-03-2004 04:58 AM

bread burst sides

(ron doctors) wrote:

> > >I have been baking bread for a long, long time and keep finding that
> > >the top and sides will split open erraticaly. I put cuts in the top
> > >and they help but often I get an "explosive" look to the loaves. I
> > >bake on a stone in a 425 oven and then change to 375 after 15 minutes.
> > >I bake two loaves side by side. The bread is a 60/40 mix of white and
> > >whole wheat hard high gluten flour . I do all the processing by hand,
> > >the first raise is overnight in a cool kitchen. The yeast is from a
> > >starter that I made years ago.
> > >It is fantastic bread with a great sour taste but I would like more
> > >conmtrol over the appearance.
> > >Ideas please or questions...
> > >Thank you .

Here are some troubleshooting suggestions:

If the bread has an excessive break on the side
# Oven is too hot
# Insufficient rising period
# Improper shaping

If the tops of the bread loaves are cracked
# Bread cooled too rapidly, probably in a draft
# The dough is too stiff
# The dough is not mixed well

I have also found that often sourdough breads need to be hydrated more
than regular bread. A good place to go for more information is:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/

Happy baking!

wesley 15-03-2004 11:50 PM

bread burst sides

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 17:31:47 -0800, ron doctors wrote:

> I have been baking bread for a long, long time and keep finding that
> the top and sides will split open erraticaly. I put cuts in the top
> and they help but often I get an "explosive" look to the loaves. I
> bake on a stone in a 425 oven and then change to 375 after 15 minutes.
> I bake two loaves side by side. The bread is a 60/40 mix of white and
> whole wheat hard high gluten flour . I do all the processing by hand,
> the first raise is overnight in a cool kitchen. The yeast is from a
> starter that I made years ago.
> It is fantastic bread with a great sour taste but I would like more
> conmtrol over the appearance.
> Ideas please or questions...
> Thank you .

Burst breads as you describe are generally the result of an inadequate
amount of time being allowed for the formed loaf to rise before going into
the oven.