Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Where have all the flours gone?

It seems flour, especially bread flour but also everything else,
has gotten extremely scarce in the last few weeks. I can't even
find it on-line.

My needs aren't urgent, but when the stock gets below a couple
5-lb bags I start looking to replenish. Not possible right now.

Anybody got a hint what's going on? I can't believe all that many
folks are actually making their own bread.....

As an unrelated aside, there's a nice, if sentimental, article on
French baking culture in:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-bread-in-lyon

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Posted to rec.food.baking

In article >,
bob prohaska > wrote:
>It seems flour, especially bread flour but also everything else,
>has gotten extremely scarce in the last few weeks. I can't even
>find it on-line.
>
>My needs aren't urgent, but when the stock gets below a couple
>5-lb bags I start looking to replenish. Not possible right now.
>
>Anybody got a hint what's going on? I can't believe all that many
>folks are actually making their own bread.....

Yes, folks are simply baking more. Bread is one of those comfort
foods that almost all enjoy. And now where picking up fresh
loaves multiple times a week at the market, well it's just not
the best idea.

My college kids are home. Taking classes online. And when they're
bored, it appears, they like to cook and bake. I've not made dinner
in weeks! (On to dishes duty for me - that's ok!). My son has
baked breakfast sausage loafs 2-3 times in the last month. His
last loaf was truly picture worthy. Daughter made Kaiser rolls for
a pulled pork shoulder I smoked. Delicious.

We burned through our ~10 lbs stash fairly quickly, early on. Were
lucky enough to get another 5 lbs at the grocery - but that went
quick too. A friend was lucky enough to score a 25 lbs bag for us
from Costco, which we're sharing. A neighbor has given us a sample from
her Sourdough starter, which I've been feeding 50g of flour and water
each day, building it up enough for some loaves. Been ages since I
played with sourdough - before said college kids were born. Should
be a fun learning experience.

I only hope I can up my excercise routines up enough to offset all the
additional calories from all this good cooking.

Hope all's well for anyone in this (mostly) silent newsgroup..

Regards,
Mark

Posted to rec.food.baking

On 2020-04-10 9:51 a.m., gtwrek wrote:
> In article >,
> bob prohaska > wrote:
>> It seems flour, especially bread flour but also everything else,
>> has gotten extremely scarce in the last few weeks. I can't even
>> find it on-line.
>>
>> My needs aren't urgent, but when the stock gets below a couple
>> 5-lb bags I start looking to replenish. Not possible right now.
>>
>> Anybody got a hint what's going on? I can't believe all that many
>> folks are actually making their own bread.....

> Yes, folks are simply baking more. Bread is one of those comfort
> foods that almost all enjoy. And now where picking up fresh
> loaves multiple times a week at the market, well it's just not
> the best idea.
>
> My college kids are home. Taking classes online. And when they're
> bored, it appears, they like to cook and bake. I've not made dinner
> in weeks! (On to dishes duty for me - that's ok!). My son has
> baked breakfast sausage loafs 2-3 times in the last month. His
> last loaf was truly picture worthy. Daughter made Kaiser rolls for
> a pulled pork shoulder I smoked. Delicious.
>
> We burned through our ~10 lbs stash fairly quickly, early on. Were
> lucky enough to get another 5 lbs at the grocery - but that went
> quick too. A friend was lucky enough to score a 25 lbs bag for us
> from Costco, which we're sharing. A neighbor has given us a sample from
> her Sourdough starter, which I've been feeding 50g of flour and water
> each day, building it up enough for some loaves. Been ages since I
> played with sourdough - before said college kids were born. Should
> be a fun learning experience.
>
> I only hope I can up my excercise routines up enough to offset all the
> additional calories from all this good cooking.
>
> Hope all's well for anyone in this (mostly) silent newsgroup..
>
> Regards,
> Mark

Post about bread on rec.food.sourdough and alt.bread.recipes too as they
are also struggling.
Posted to rec.food.baking

> bob prohaska wrote:
> It seems flour, especially bread flour but also everything else,
> has gotten extremely scarce in the last few weeks. I can't even
> find it on-line.
>
> My needs aren't urgent, but when the stock gets below a couple
> 5-lb bags I start looking to replenish. Not possible right now.
>
> Anybody got a hint what's going on? I can't believe all that many
> folks are actually making their own bread.....
>
> As an unrelated aside, there's a nice, if sentimental, article on
> French baking culture in:
>
> https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-bread-in-lyon
>
> Thanks for reading,
>
> bob prohaska

For the last couple of weeks of March and maybe
1st week of April it was hard to find flour in my area's stores. Just
had another trip couple days ago and things seem to be returning to
normal.

They even had toilet paper at the local Walmart

This is a response to the post seen at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.p...5197#538915197

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 8:36:03 PM UTC-4, bob prohaska wrote:
> It seems flour, especially bread flour but also everything else,
> has gotten extremely scarce in the last few weeks. I can't even
> find it on-line.
>
> My needs aren't urgent, but when the stock gets below a couple
> 5-lb bags I start looking to replenish. Not possible right now.
>
> Anybody got a hint what's going on? I can't believe all that many
> folks are actually making their own bread.....
>
> As an unrelated aside, there's a nice, if sentimental, article on
> French baking culture in:
>
> https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-bread-in-lyon
>
> Thanks for reading,
>
> bob prohaska

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 8:36:03 PM UTC-4, bob prohaska wrote:
> It seems flour, especially bread flour but also everything else,
> has gotten extremely scarce in the last few weeks. I can't even
> find it on-line.
>
> My needs aren't urgent, but when the stock gets below a couple
> 5-lb bags I start looking to replenish. Not possible right now.
>
> Anybody got a hint what's going on? I can't believe all that many
> folks are actually making their own bread.....
>
> As an unrelated aside, there's a nice, if sentimental, article on
> French baking culture in:
>
> https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-bread-in-lyon
>
> Thanks for reading,
>
> bob prohaska

I have been able to find flour, but I have a baking business and can go to a store geared for people in the food business, However, you have to buy large quantities. Yeast is difficult to find though. I think a lot of people are home and baking more. You may enjoy this recioe (I hope its okay to share it here.)
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 8:36:03 PM UTC-4, bob prohaska wrote:
> It seems flour, especially bread flour but also everything else,
> has gotten extremely scarce in the last few weeks. I can't even
> find it on-line.
>
> My needs aren't urgent, but when the stock gets below a couple
> 5-lb bags I start looking to replenish. Not possible right now.
>
> Anybody got a hint what's going on? I can't believe all that many
> folks are actually making their own bread.....
>
> As an unrelated aside, there's a nice, if sentimental, article on
> French baking culture in:
>
> https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-bread-in-lyon
>
> Thanks for reading,
>
> bob prohaska

Flour is available in some stores near me, but yeast is more challenging to find. If anyone is interested in an easy bread recipe that does not need a bread maker, you might enjoy this https://delishably.com/baked-goods/S...and-Half-Rolls. (I hope it is okay to share here.) I appreciate you taking a look and hope you try it.

Abby

How any flours do you stock? Jim Elbrecht General Cooking 44 10-01-2011 09:24 PM
Pizza flours Chet General Cooking 10 11-03-2010 07:39 PM
Premium flours? ? ? Ray[_7_] Sourdough 11 18-12-2009 12:41 AM
choice of flours to thicken after cooking john royce General Cooking 18 23-07-2009 11:55 PM
Gluten-free flours Rachel Baking 2 21-01-2005 12:37 AM