FoodBanter.com

-   -   Does your springform pan leak? (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/444357-does-your-springform-pan.html)

[email protected] 03-09-2018 01:50 AM

Does your springform pan leak?

I tried to make a crustless quiche in my instant pot. When I lifted the pan with egg mixture to put in pot there was egg all over the counter? What a disappoint I guess I will try parchment next time?? Sounds like I am not alone when searching online?

FMurtz 07-09-2018 02:00 PM

wrote:
> I tried to make a crustless quiche in my instant pot. When I lifted the pan with egg mixture to put in pot there was egg all over the counter? What a disappoint I guess I will try parchment next time?? Sounds like I am not alone when searching online?

They were never waterproof and not designed so.

Peter Flynn 27-12-2018 11:46 PM

On 07/09/2018 14:00, FMurtz wrote:
> wrote:
>> I tried to make a crustless quiche in my instant pot. When I lifted
>> the pan with egg mixture to put in pot there was egg all over the
>> counter? What a disappoint I guess I will try parchment next time??
>> Sounds like I am not alone when searching online?
>>

> They were never waterproof and not designed so.

I just used a little one (5") to bake the left-over stuffing from a
batch of which I cooked the bulk in an 8-hole mini-loaf tin. I was
worried that the fat* from the mix would melt and drain out, so I put
the little springform on the oven shelf above the loaf tin, so it would
at least drain onto the others below...but when I took them out, to my
amazement it hadn't leaked a drop.

I'm sure they weren't designed as leakproof, but this one at least seems
to be. I believe you *can* get leakproof ones, with a silicone sealing
band around the loose bottom, but I've never used or held one.

Before trying a crustless quiche I might just try filling it with water :-)

* This is a meat-heavy 18th century forcemeat recipe, rather than a
modern breadcrumb-style stuffing.