Old 15-11-2004, 07:22 PM
Rachel Fox

Default I need a good turkey recipie!

I have never cooked a turkey by myself before, and now that I am
married I was wondering if anyone had a turkey recipie they would like
to share. I have heard that cooking with beer makes it really taste
good, but I grew up with the stuffing in the turkey that you didn't
even eat, so I want to branch out and try something different and new.
Please let me know any cool tips for cooking turkey...they would be
greatly appreciated!

Old 15-11-2004, 11:32 PM
Melba's Jammin'

(Rachel Fox) wrote:

Please let me know any cool tips for cooking turkey...they would be
greatly appreciated!

www.butterball.com
or rec.food.cooking

(Are you and Julie Jenkins acquainted? She just got burned here for
posting a cookie recipe made from a cake mix. She's at cc.usu.edu, too.)
--
-Barb, www.jamlady.eboard.com Updated 10-22-04; Popovers!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Old 16-11-2004, 01:08 AM
Vox Humana

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
(Rachel Fox) wrote:

Please let me know any cool tips for cooking turkey...they would be
greatly appreciated!

www.butterball.com
or rec.food.cooking

(Are you and Julie Jenkins acquainted? She just got burned here for
posting a cookie recipe made from a cake mix. She's at cc.usu.edu, too.)

I don't know why you characterize what "happened" in such negative terms.
Someone posted a recipe and asked for comments. No one attacked her
personally nor did anyone say that she was out of line. Sometimes
metadiscussions develop, i.e., thread drift. In this case the discussion
drifted from the recipe to baking mixes and why people use them. Maybe I
didn't see the part where she got burned, but I don't recall anything of the
sort happening.

Old 16-11-2004, 02:14 AM
Dave Bell

(Rachel Fox) wrote:

Please let me know any cool tips for cooking turkey...they would be
greatly appreciated!

www.butterball.com
or rec.food.cooking

(Are you and Julie Jenkins acquainted? She just got burned here for
posting a cookie recipe made from a cake mix. She's at cc.usu.edu, too.)

I don't know why you characterize what "happened" in such negative terms.
Someone posted a recipe and asked for comments. No one attacked her
personally nor did anyone say that she was out of line. Sometimes
metadiscussions develop, i.e., thread drift. In this case the discussion
drifted from the recipe to baking mixes and why people use them. Maybe I
didn't see the part where she got burned, but I don't recall anything of the
sort happening.

I don'y know... If it was I who received the responses she did, I would
have felt somewhat singed, if not quite violently flamed. It's about
"baking", not necessarily completely from scratch!

Dave

Old 16-11-2004, 02:54 PM
pennyaline

"finndo" blahhhhhed:

Blah blah blah, anyone gonna answer her question?

Sho' nuff did, boss! Barb answered it when she replied:

www.butterball.com
or rec.food.cooking

Happy now, boss?

yadda, yadda... und so weiter

Old 16-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Vox Humana

"finndo" wrote in message
m...

I don'y know... If it was I who received the responses she did, I would
have felt somewhat singed, if not quite violently flamed. It's about
"baking", not necessarily completely from scratch!

Rec.food.recipes is moderated. You won't get any troublesome opinions over
there, even if you ask for them like the OP did concerning her "amazing"
cookies.

Old 17-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On 15 Nov
2004 11:22:50 -0800, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
(Rachel Fox) reported:

I have never cooked a turkey by myself before, and now that I am
married I was wondering if anyone had a turkey recipie they would like
to share. I have heard that cooking with beer makes it really taste
good, but I grew up with the stuffing in the turkey that you didn't
even eat, so I want to branch out and try something different and new.
Please let me know any cool tips for cooking turkey...they would be
greatly appreciated!

Before my daughter went on Weight Watchers, I would crush up about a
whole clove of garlic, mix it with olive oil and slather that all over
the turkey - inside and out. Then I poured some orange juice in the
bottom of the baking pan, added a little soy sauce to that and bake it
with a couple of "Kosher" salt wells on the side - basting from time
to time and covering it with a tin-foil tent (not closed up, just a
sheet bent in the middle and let rest on the top) for the last 30
minutes or so. Came out absolutely fantastic.

I stuff my turkey pretty simply. I toast old bread and cut it into
cubes. I fry up onions, celery, red peppers, cubes of sweet potatoes
and several cloves of garlic. Then I mix the vegetables with the
bread cubes, add a few eggs, a little orange juice for moisture and
spice with some savory and then stuff it. Any extra stuffing I put in
a covered oven-proof bowl anywhere I can find to put in the oven.
Some people like (read: my mother liked) to add the giblets from the
turkey when frying the vegetables, but I never do since I don't like
liver.

If you like the orange bit, you can slice up oranges very thinly and
put them both inside the turkey and on top.

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il

Old 17-11-2004, 08:20 PM