FoodBanter.com

-   -   I need a good turkey recipie! (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/44049-i-need-good-turkey.html)

Rachel Fox 15-11-2004 08:22 PM

I need a good turkey recipie!

I have never cooked a turkey by myself before, and now that I am
married I was wondering if anyone had a turkey recipie they would like
to share. I have heard that cooking with beer makes it really taste
good, but I grew up with the stuffing in the turkey that you didn't
even eat, so I want to branch out and try something different and new.
Please let me know any cool tips for cooking turkey...they would be
greatly appreciated!

Melba's Jammin' 16-11-2004 12:32 AM

In article > ,
(Rachel Fox) wrote:

> Please let me know any cool tips for cooking turkey...they would be
> greatly appreciated!

www.butterball.com
or rec.food.cooking

(Are you and Julie Jenkins acquainted? She just got burned here for
posting a cookie recipe made from a cake mix. She's at cc.usu.edu, too.)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-22-04; Popovers!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Melba's Jammin' 16-11-2004 12:32 AM

Melba's Jammin' 16-11-2004 12:32 AM

Vox Humana 16-11-2004 02:08 AM

www.butterball.com
> or rec.food.cooking
>
> (Are you and Julie Jenkins acquainted? She just got burned here for
> posting a cookie recipe made from a cake mix. She's at cc.usu.edu, too.)

I don't know why you characterize what "happened" in such negative terms.
Someone posted a recipe and asked for comments. No one attacked her
personally nor did anyone say that she was out of line. Sometimes
metadiscussions develop, i.e., thread drift. In this case the discussion
drifted from the recipe to baking mixes and why people use them. Maybe I
didn't see the part where she got burned, but I don't recall anything of the
sort happening.

Vox Humana 16-11-2004 02:08 AM

www.butterball.com

Dave Bell 16-11-2004 03:14 AM

(Rachel Fox) wrote:

>>>Please let me know any cool tips for cooking turkey...they would be
>>>greatly appreciated!

>>www.butterball.com
>>or rec.food.cooking
>>
>>(Are you and Julie Jenkins acquainted? She just got burned here for
>>posting a cookie recipe made from a cake mix. She's at cc.usu.edu, too.)

> I don't know why you characterize what "happened" in such negative terms.
> Someone posted a recipe and asked for comments. No one attacked her
> personally nor did anyone say that she was out of line. Sometimes
> metadiscussions develop, i.e., thread drift. In this case the discussion
> drifted from the recipe to baking mixes and why people use them. Maybe I
> didn't see the part where she got burned, but I don't recall anything of the
> sort happening.

I don'y know... If it was I who received the responses she did, I would
have felt somewhat singed, if not quite violently flamed. It's about
"baking", not necessarily completely from scratch!

Dave

Dave Bell 16-11-2004 03:14 AM

pennyaline 16-11-2004 03:54 PM

"finndo" blahhhhhed:

> Blah blah blah, anyone gonna answer her question?

Sho' nuff did, boss! Barb answered it when she replied:

>>www.butterball.com
>>or rec.food.cooking

Happy now, boss?

<yadda, yadda... und so weiter>

pennyaline 16-11-2004 03:54 PM

"finndo" blahhhhhed:

> Blah blah blah, anyone gonna answer her question?

Sho' nuff did, boss! Barb answered it when she replied:

>>www.butterball.com
>>or rec.food.cooking

Happy now, boss?

<yadda, yadda... und so weiter>

Vox Humana 16-11-2004 04:47 PM

"finndo" > wrote in message
m...

> > I don'y know... If it was I who received the responses she did, I would
> > have felt somewhat singed, if not quite violently flamed. It's about
> > "baking", not necessarily completely from scratch!

Rec.food.recipes is moderated. You won't get any troublesome opinions over
there, even if you ask for them like the OP did concerning her "amazing"
cookies.

Vox Humana 16-11-2004 04:47 PM

m...

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady 17-11-2004 05:04 PM

(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On 15 Nov
2004 11:22:50 -0800, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
(Rachel Fox) reported:

>I have never cooked a turkey by myself before, and now that I am
>married I was wondering if anyone had a turkey recipie they would like
>to share. I have heard that cooking with beer makes it really taste
>good, but I grew up with the stuffing in the turkey that you didn't
>even eat, so I want to branch out and try something different and new.
>Please let me know any cool tips for cooking turkey...they would be
>greatly appreciated!

Before my daughter went on Weight Watchers, I would crush up about a
whole clove of garlic, mix it with olive oil and slather that all over
the turkey - inside and out. Then I poured some orange juice in the
bottom of the baking pan, added a little soy sauce to that and bake it
with a couple of "Kosher" salt wells on the side - basting from time
to time and covering it with a tin-foil tent (not closed up, just a
sheet bent in the middle and let rest on the top) for the last 30
minutes or so. Came out absolutely fantastic.

I stuff my turkey pretty simply. I toast old bread and cut it into
cubes. I fry up onions, celery, red peppers, cubes of sweet potatoes
and several cloves of garlic. Then I mix the vegetables with the
bread cubes, add a few eggs, a little orange juice for moisture and
spice with some savory and then stuff it. Any extra stuffing I put in
a covered oven-proof bowl anywhere I can find to put in the oven.
Some people like (read: my mother liked) to add the giblets from the
turkey when frying the vegetables, but I never do since I don't like
liver.

If you like the orange bit, you can slice up oranges very thinly and
put them both inside the turkey and on top.

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady 17-11-2004 05:04 PM

Mable Fable 17-11-2004 09:20 PM

Mable Fable 17-11-2004 09:20 PM

Vox Humana 17-11-2004 10:43 PM

"Mable Fable" > wrote in message
> Hi, I've just started looking at discuss groups, I'm nervous about
> posting here after reading the pumpkin cookie mess, I would have felt
> very unwelcome, IS THIS A PRIVATE GROUP?

Which part of the "pumpkin cookie mess" made you nervous? Was it the part
where people gave their opinions after the OP asked for opinions? Did you
think that people should only post messages that are in agreement with the
OP in each thread? For instance, if I posted a recipe for cheesecake that
included cabbage and peanut butter and called it "amazing cabbage and peanut
butter cheesecake," would it be unacceptable for people to say they though
the recipe was nasty?

What exactly is a "private group?"

Are you aware that there is a MODERATED newsgroup called "rec.food.recipes?"
You can request recipes and submit recipes. Someone screens all the
messages and discards everything else. You can find the online, searchable
archives of that group he http://www.recipesource.com/

Oh, and I should point out that posting HTML/image/audio files to a
non-binary newsgroup is a violation of netiquette. No, I'm not the posting
police, but just someone pointing out reality. Posting from a webtv address
is like waving a red flag on Usenet. That you jumped into a newsgroup with
your HTML and criticism of the group's culture isn't considered a good way
to introduce yourself. If you want to post HTML, it's up to you just as you
can wear a bathrobe to church if you want.

Welcome to the group, Mable!

Vox Humana 17-11-2004 10:43 PM

Scott 18-11-2004 09:43 PM

In article >,
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> For instance, if I posted a recipe for cheesecake that
> included cabbage and peanut butter and called it "amazing cabbage and
> peanut butter cheesecake,"

Please post.

Vox Humana 18-11-2004 10:49 PM

"Scott" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>
> > For instance, if I posted a recipe for cheesecake that
> > included cabbage and peanut butter and called it "amazing cabbage and
> > peanut butter cheesecake,"

> Please post.

I'll try to find one that uses cake mix and Coolwhip.

Scott 19-11-2004 02:36 AM

In article >,
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> I'll try to find one that uses cake mix and Coolwhip.

.... and instant pudding.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>

Eric Jorgensen 19-11-2004 07:05 PM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:36:20 -0500
Scott > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>
> > I'll try to find one that uses cake mix and Coolwhip.

> ... and instant pudding.

Can i request a no-bake recipe, while we're at it?

Vox Humana 19-11-2004 07:52 PM

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:36:20 -0500
> Scott > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > "Vox Humana" > wrote:
> >
> > > I'll try to find one that uses cake mix and Coolwhip.

> > ... and instant pudding.

> Can i request a no-bake recipe, while we're at it?

2 packages (3 ounces each) ladyfingers

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese

2 cups milk

1 can sweetened condensed milk

2 boxes instant pudding

1 cup peanut butter

1 6oz package of shredded red cabbage

2 packages (11.2 ounces each) no-bake cheesecake mix

1 container (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed

Miniature marshmallows, crushed Oreos, and M&M candies, additional whipped
topping

Line bottom and side of 9 x 3-inch springform pan with ladyfinger halves,
split sides up; set aside. In large mixer bowl beat cream cheese until
smooth and fluffy. Add 1 cup of the milk, beating well. Blend in remaining
milk, condensed milk, pudding mix, peanut butter, and cheesecake filling
mixes. (Reserve crust mixes for other use.) Fold in whipped topping and
cabbage. Spoon into ladyfinger-lined pan. Cover and refrigerate several
hours or overnight. Remove side of pan just before serving. Top with
marshmallow, cookie crumbs, and candy pieces and a large dollop of Coolwhip.

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady 19-11-2004 09:13 PM

(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Fri, 19
Nov 2004 18:52:36 GMT, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
"Vox Humana" > reported:

>1 6oz package of shredded red cabbage

Cabbage? In a refrigerator cake? Are you SURE?

Vox Humana 19-11-2004 09:50 PM

"Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady" > wrote in message
> (Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Fri, 19
> Nov 2004 18:52:36 GMT, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
> "Vox Humana" > reported:
>

> >1 6oz package of shredded red cabbage

> Cabbage? In a refrigerator cake? Are you SURE?

It's a joke. You will see the context if you read the beginning of the
thread.

Janet Bostwick 20-11-2004 01:50 AM

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:36:20 -0500
>> Scott > wrote:

>> > ... and instant pudding.

>> Can i request a no-bake recipe, while we're at it?

> 2 packages (3 ounces each) ladyfingers
>
> 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese
>
> 2 cups milk
>
> 1 can sweetened condensed milk
>
> 2 boxes instant pudding
>
> 1 cup peanut butter
>
> 1 6oz package of shredded red cabbage
>
> 2 packages (11.2 ounces each) no-bake cheesecake mix
>
> 1 container (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
>
> Miniature marshmallows, crushed Oreos, and M&M candies, additional whipped
> topping
>

> Line bottom and side of 9 x 3-inch springform pan with ladyfinger halves,
> split sides up; set aside. In large mixer bowl beat cream cheese until
> smooth and fluffy. Add 1 cup of the milk, beating well. Blend in
> remaining
> milk, condensed milk, pudding mix, peanut butter, and cheesecake filling
> mixes. (Reserve crust mixes for other use.) Fold in whipped topping and
> cabbage. Spoon into ladyfinger-lined pan. Cover and refrigerate several
> hours or overnight. Remove side of pan just before serving. Top with
> marshmallow, cookie crumbs, and candy pieces and a large dollop of
> Coolwhip.

That's gotta be wrong. Anyone knows that the red cabbage will bleed all
over. ;o}
Janet

Janet Bostwick 20-11-2004 01:50 AM

Vox Humana 20-11-2004 02:35 AM

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message

> >> Can i request a no-bake recipe, while we're at it?

> > 2 packages (3 ounces each) ladyfingers
> >
> > 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese
> >
> > 2 cups milk
> >
> > 1 can sweetened condensed milk
> >
> > 2 boxes instant pudding
> >
> > 1 cup peanut butter
> >
> > 1 6oz package of shredded red cabbage
> >
> > 2 packages (11.2 ounces each) no-bake cheesecake mix
> >
> > 1 container (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
> >
> > Miniature marshmallows, crushed Oreos, and M&M candies, additional

whipped
> > topping
> >

> > Line bottom and side of 9 x 3-inch springform pan with ladyfinger

halves,
> > split sides up; set aside. In large mixer bowl beat cream cheese until
> > smooth and fluffy. Add 1 cup of the milk, beating well. Blend in
> > remaining
> > milk, condensed milk, pudding mix, peanut butter, and cheesecake filling
> > mixes. (Reserve crust mixes for other use.) Fold in whipped topping and
> > cabbage. Spoon into ladyfinger-lined pan. Cover and refrigerate several
> > hours or overnight. Remove side of pan just before serving. Top with
> > marshmallow, cookie crumbs, and candy pieces and a large dollop of
> > Coolwhip.
> >

> That's gotta be wrong. Anyone knows that the red cabbage will bleed all
> over. ;o}
> Janet

But wait. What if I was a beginner? What if that was the first time I
posted. You can't disagree lest you might make someone nervous - even
scared.

Vox Humana 20-11-2004 02:35 AM

Janet Bostwick 20-11-2004 03:36 AM

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message

>> > 2 packages (3 ounces each) ladyfingers
>> >
>> > 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese
>> >
>> > 2 cups milk
>> >
>> > 1 can sweetened condensed milk
>> >
>> > 2 boxes instant pudding
>> >
>> > 1 cup peanut butter
>> >
>> > 1 6oz package of shredded red cabbage
>> >
>> > 2 packages (11.2 ounces each) no-bake cheesecake mix
>> >
>> > 1 container (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
>> >
>> > Miniature marshmallows, crushed Oreos, and M&M candies, additional

> whipped
>> > topping
>> >

>> > Line bottom and side of 9 x 3-inch springform pan with ladyfinger

> halves,
>> > split sides up; set aside. In large mixer bowl beat cream cheese until
>> > smooth and fluffy. Add 1 cup of the milk, beating well. Blend in
>> > remaining
>> > milk, condensed milk, pudding mix, peanut butter, and cheesecake
>> > filling
>> > mixes. (Reserve crust mixes for other use.) Fold in whipped topping and
>> > cabbage. Spoon into ladyfinger-lined pan. Cover and refrigerate several
>> > hours or overnight. Remove side of pan just before serving. Top with
>> > marshmallow, cookie crumbs, and candy pieces and a large dollop of
>> > Coolwhip.
>> >

>> That's gotta be wrong. Anyone knows that the red cabbage will bleed all
>> over. ;o}
>> Janet

> But wait. What if I was a beginner? What if that was the first time I
> posted. You can't disagree lest you might make someone nervous - even
> scared.

Indeed. It was very thoughtless of me.
Janet

Scott 20-11-2004 08:44 PM

In article >,
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> Line bottom and side of 9 x 3-inch springform pan with ladyfinger halves,
> split sides up; set aside. In large mixer bowl beat cream cheese until
> smooth and fluffy. Add 1 cup of the milk, beating well. Blend in remaining
> milk, condensed milk, pudding mix, peanut butter, and cheesecake filling
> mixes. (Reserve crust mixes for other use.) Fold in whipped topping and
> cabbage. Spoon into ladyfinger-lined pan. Cover and refrigerate several
> hours or overnight. Remove side of pan just before serving. Top with
> marshmallow, cookie crumbs, and candy pieces and a large dollop of Coolwhip.

Along this line, I saw the following on r.f.r:

-------------------
Pie Crust Peanut Butter Cookies
1 (9 oz.) pkg. pie crust mix
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 Tbsp. water

Cut peanut butter, brown sugar and water into the pie crust mix. Place 1
teaspoon dough on ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
Flatten with a fork. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
-------------------

Pie crust mix? What's that? Are we basically talking about a sort of
Bisquick for pies? I don't see the point. If it's just flour,
shortening, sugar, and salt, it hardly seems to be a time savings, since
most of the effort is in mixing with water and rolling it out. I *hope*
it's not just graham cracker crumbs.

It's been a couple of years since I read through r.f.r--I had gotten fed
up with some really bad recipes (especially oil infusions and baked
cake-in-a-jar) and stopped reading.

Vox Humana 20-11-2004 08:57 PM

"Scott" > wrote in message

> Pie Crust Peanut Butter Cookies
> 1 (9 oz.) pkg. pie crust mix
> 1 cup brown sugar
> 1/2 cup peanut butter
> 3 Tbsp. water
>
> Cut peanut butter, brown sugar and water into the pie crust mix. Place 1
> teaspoon dough on ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
> Flatten with a fork. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
> -------------------
>
> Pie crust mix? What's that? Are we basically talking about a sort of
> Bisquick for pies? I don't see the point. If it's just flour,
> shortening, sugar, and salt, it hardly seems to be a time savings, since
> most of the effort is in mixing with water and rolling it out. I *hope*
> it's not just graham cracker crumbs.
>
> It's been a couple of years since I read through r.f.r--I had gotten fed
> up with some really bad recipes (especially oil infusions and baked
> cake-in-a-jar) and stopped reading.

I can top the pie crust mix. A few weeks ago I was browsing the cake
decorating departing at my local mega store. I encounter a bag of "frosting
mix." I believe that this was a Wilton product and sold for some ungodly
amount - around $6.00. The ingredients were powdered sugar, salt, and
artificial flavoring. You just had to add some butter or shortening and
water or milk. How convenient. Let's see -- I could have purchased the 69
cent bag of confectioner's sugar and had the same thing.

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady 21-11-2004 08:16 AM

NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 20:50:47 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>It's a joke. You will see the context if you read the beginning of the
>thread.

Oh, oh! I've been WHOOSHED!

(Silly me!)

Vox Humana 21-11-2004 03:10 PM

"Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady" > wrote in
message ...
> NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 20:50:47 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote:
>
> >It's a joke. You will see the context if you read the beginning of the
> >thread.

> Oh, oh! I've been WHOOSHED!
>
> (Silly me!)

Someone will probably find this in the Google archives and make it!

Vox Humana 21-11-2004 03:10 PM

Scott 22-11-2004 03:23 PM

In article >,
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> I can top the pie crust mix. A few weeks ago I was browsing the cake
> decorating departing at my local mega store. I encounter a bag of "frosting
> mix." I believe that this was a Wilton product and sold for some ungodly
> amount - around $6.00. The ingredients were powdered sugar, salt, and
> artificial flavoring. You just had to add some butter or shortening and
> water or milk. How convenient. Let's see -- I could have purchased the 69
> cent bag of confectioner's sugar and had the same thing.

Things have become so ridiculous that people even fall for the
*illusion* of convenience.

Scott 22-11-2004 03:23 PM