Old 10-11-2004, 09:21 PM
Julie

Default Amazing Pumpkin Cookie Recipe

Here is an amazing pumpkin cookie recipe. It's fast, easy, and cheap.

Ingredients:
1 spice cake mix
1 15 oz. canned pumpkin
1/2 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Stir all ingredients together. Drop by rounded tablespoonful and bake
for 12-14 minutes at 350 degrees.

This recipe is fantastic. What do you think about it?

Old 10-11-2004, 09:51 PM
Vox Humana

"Julie" wrote in message
om...
Here is an amazing pumpkin cookie recipe. It's fast, easy, and cheap.

Ingredients:
1 spice cake mix
1 15 oz. canned pumpkin
1/2 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Stir all ingredients together. Drop by rounded tablespoonful and bake
for 12-14 minutes at 350 degrees.

This recipe is fantastic. What do you think about it?

I guess I just don't understand why people buy mixes. How hard or time
consuming is it to measure some flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder?
That's about all you get with a cake mix, aside from preservatives,
emulsifiers, artificial flavoring, and other additives.

As for the specific recipe, if you like it then that's all that matters. I
think that I would like an egg or two and some fat in my cookies.
Here is what others thought of the recipe:
http://cookie.allrecipes.com/reviews...sp?nprid=25831

Old 11-11-2004, 03:45 PM
stevie

i like pumpkin pie
Old 11-11-2004, 03:52 PM
Vox Humana

"stevie" wrote in message
om...
i like pumpkin pie

I'll alert the media.

Old 13-11-2004, 01:04 PM
Jane Lumley

In article , Vox Humana
writes

"Julie" wrote in message
. com...
Here is an amazing pumpkin cookie recipe. It's fast, easy, and cheap.

Ingredients:
1 spice cake mix
1 15 oz. canned pumpkin
1/2 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Stir all ingredients together. Drop by rounded tablespoonful and bake
for 12-14 minutes at 350 degrees.

This recipe is fantastic. What do you think about it?

I guess I just don't understand why people buy mixes. How hard or time
consuming is it to measure some flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder?
That's about all you get with a cake mix, aside from preservatives,
emulsifiers, artificial flavoring, and other additives.

Oh, I am soo sooooo glad you said this. I thought mixes were for people
who hated baking. Why post about them on a baking newsgroup?

--
Jane Lumley

Old 13-11-2004, 04:18 PM
Jenn Ridley

Jane Lumley wrote:

In article , Vox Humana
writes

I guess I just don't understand why people buy mixes. How hard or time
consuming is it to measure some flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder?
That's about all you get with a cake mix, aside from preservatives,
emulsifiers, artificial flavoring, and other additives.

Oh, I am soo sooooo glad you said this. I thought mixes were for people
who hated baking. Why post about them on a baking newsgroup?

There are people who don't usually bake. They may be quite capable of
doing so, they just don't do it often enough to justify having the
ingredients in the pantry all the time.

F'rex -- my aunt. She used to bake a lot, and is quite good at it.
However, she now lives alone, and only has occasion to bake a couple
of times a year. When she does bake, she uses a mix, as it's much
more convenient and *less expensive* than buying flour/sugar/baking
powder/baking soda *every time* she wants to bake.

I use Jiffy mix for pancakes on school mornings. I don't have the
time or energy to fuss with 'proper' pancake batter while I'm getting
two kids off to the bus, and my husband is in the kitchen getting
*his* breakfast and lunch. Does that make me a failure?
--
Jenn Ridley :
Old 13-11-2004, 04:18 PM
Jenn Ridley

Jane Lumley wrote:

In article , Vox Humana
writes

Old 13-11-2004, 05:08 PM
Vox Humana

"Jenn Ridley" wrote in message
Jane Lumley wrote:

In article , Vox Humana
writes

[...]

I remain unconvinced. You need flour for a lot of non-baking endeavors. It
is used to dredge meat and vegetable before frying and to thicken sauces.
Sugar goes into drink and over cereal. Salt - who doesn't use salt at the
table? Sugar and salt don't go bad. Flour will keep for an extended time
in the refrigerator or freezer. Salt costs about 40 cents for a container.
Sugar sells for about 30 cents a pound around here - less on sale. Baking
power is also very inexpensive and while it does go bad after a year, that
is in incentive to use it. The cost of mixes will far exceed the price of
the raw ingredients you would have to buy, even taking into consideration
that you will toss the tin of baking power each year and start over. That
bag of flour for $1.70, the sugar for $1.50, the salt for $.049., and the
baking powder for $1.89 all adds up to less than $6.

Convenience is the only reason that I can see for using a mix.

Old 13-11-2004, 05:08 PM
Vox Humana

"Jenn Ridley" wrote in message
Jane Lumley wrote:

In article , Vox Humana
writes

Old 13-11-2004, 08:19 PM
Eric Jorgensen

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 11:18:27 -0500
Jenn Ridley wrote:

I use Jiffy mix for pancakes on school mornings. I don't have the
time or energy to fuss with 'proper' pancake batter while I'm getting
two kids off to the bus, and my husband is in the kitchen getting
*his* breakfast and lunch. Does that make me a failure?

What's the fuss?

Turn on griddle. Melt about three tablespoons butter in large-enough
plastic bowl in the microwave, mix in 3T of sugar, 1 egg, 1C of milk, 1/2t
of salt. Position sifter over bowl. If you thought ahead, the mouth of the
bowl is small enough to hold up the base of the sifter (helps if sifter has
big handle). Throw 1c flour and 2t baking powder in the sifter. Sift. Stir.
Pour on griddle. Flip. Serve.

You can use a glass bowl if you wanna, but you have to wait for it to
cool off some before you throw the egg in. I use a 2qt plastic measuring
implement. Or you can use oil instead of butter if you think that'll taste
ok, my dad does, I think his pancakes went downhill when he switched from
corn oil to canola.

Personally, I'm going to try the above mentioned recipe, because there
are like five cheap cake mixes in my cupboard from about 18 months ago when
my sister was living with me and she was taking a cake decorating class,
and I've been wondering what the heck I'm going to do with them. One of
them is a spice cake mix. The other five may end up at the food bank in a
couple weeks. I'm not sure if they take boxed dry goods, they only seem to
ask for cans.

Old 13-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Peggy

"Eric Jorgensen" wrote:

Personally, I'm going to try the above mentioned recipe, because there
are like five cheap cake mixes in my cupboard from about 18 months ago
when
my sister was living with me and she was taking a cake decorating class,
and I've been wondering what the heck I'm going to do with them. One of
them is a spice cake mix. The other five may end up at the food bank in a
couple weeks. I'm not sure if they take boxed dry goods, they only seem to
ask for cans.

You can make cake mix cookies with them.
1 cake mix
1/3 cup oil
2 eggs
1 cup fun stuff (chocolate chips, nuts, toffee bits, etc.), optional
Frosting, optional

1. Heat oven to 375F. In large bowl, combine cake mix, oil and eggs;
stir with spoon until thoroughly moistened. Shape dough into 1-inch balls;
place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. With bottom of glass dipped
in flour, flatten to 1/4-inch thickness.
2. Bake at 375F. for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are light golden
brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets.
3. Spread frosting over warm cookies. Let frosting set before storing.
Store in tightly covered container.

~Peggy

Old 13-11-2004, 08:53 PM
Peggy

"Peggy" wrote in message

"Eric Jorgensen" wrote:

[...]

Forgot to add:
High Altitude Instructions:
Add 1/2 cup flour to dry cake mix. Bake as directed above

Old 13-11-2004, 10:28 PM
spamalicious

Julie wrote:
Here is an amazing pumpkin cookie recipe. It's fast, easy, and cheap.

Ingredients:
1 spice cake mix
1 15 oz. canned pumpkin
1/2 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Stir all ingredients together. Drop by rounded tablespoonful and bake
for 12-14 minutes at 350 degrees.

This recipe is fantastic. What do you think about it?

Recently tasted these at a party. Didn't like them at all. Too soft -
more cake-y than cookie-y.

N.