Vox Humana

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> wrote:
>
> > >In article >, Vox Humana
> > > writes

time

> > I guess I really don't understand why people buy flour.
> > You really should plant wheat, harvest and mill.
> >
> > And SUGAR.... who buys processed sugar ?
> >
> > Don't even get me started on commercial salt....
> >

> > <rj>

> I salute you for a fine response, RJ. Drinks are on me That recipe is
> nothing that would prompt me to make it, but the poor OP sure got
> lambasted for what I'm guessing she thought was a swell idea. What a
> way to encourage a person. Keerist!
> --

Unfortunately the response didn't address the issue. The person who bakes
from a mix is quite likely to already have the ingredients that are in the
box. He/she already has the technology (measuring devices, bowls, oven,
utensils, etc.) because you still have to prepare the mix and add other
ingredients such as butter, oil, eggs, milk, and water. The baked goods
need to prepared on baking sheets or in pans and baked. RJ's logic fails
because the person who produces their own ingredients would need resources
such as land, the opportunity to produces the ingredients ( sugar doesn't
grow well in Calgary), additional technology (i.e., farm equipment), and
would have to acquire vastly different skills and knowledge. In other
words, baking from a mix and baking from scratch require almost identical
skills and technology. Oh the other hand, baking, farming, mining, milling,
distilling, etc., require vastly different skills and technology than baking
regardless of whether one is baking from scratch or from a mix. The person
who produces their own ingredients would also have to be physically capable
of farming and mining. Furthermore, it is quite unlikely that a person
would have both a salt mine and farmable land.

Vox Humana

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> wrote:
>
> > >In article >, Vox Humana
> > > writes

time

> > I guess I really don't understand why people buy flour.
> > You really should plant wheat, harvest and mill.
> >
> > And SUGAR.... who buys processed sugar ?
> >
> > Don't even get me started on commercial salt....
> >

> > <rj>

> I salute you for a fine response, RJ. Drinks are on me That recipe is
> nothing that would prompt me to make it, but the poor OP sure got
> lambasted for what I'm guessing she thought was a swell idea. What a
> way to encourage a person. Keerist!
> --

Unfortunately the response didn't address the issue. The person who bakes
from a mix is quite likely to already have the ingredients that are in the
box. He/she already has the technology (measuring devices, bowls, oven,
utensils, etc.) because you still have to prepare the mix and add other
ingredients such as butter, oil, eggs, milk, and water. The baked goods
need to prepared on baking sheets or in pans and baked. RJ's logic fails
because the person who produces their own ingredients would need resources
such as land, the opportunity to produces the ingredients ( sugar doesn't
grow well in Calgary), additional technology (i.e., farm equipment), and
would have to acquire vastly different skills and knowledge. In other
words, baking from a mix and baking from scratch require almost identical
skills and technology. Oh the other hand, baking, farming, mining, milling,
distilling, etc., require vastly different skills and technology than baking
regardless of whether one is baking from scratch or from a mix. The person
who produces their own ingredients would also have to be physically capable
of farming and mining. Furthermore, it is quite unlikely that a person
would have both a salt mine and farmable land.

Eric Jorgensen

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:53:30 GMT
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> > I salute you for a fine response, RJ. Drinks are on me That recipe is
> > nothing that would prompt me to make it, but the poor OP sure got
> > lambasted for what I'm guessing she thought was a swell idea. What a
> > way to encourage a person. Keerist!
> > --

> Unfortunately the response didn't address the issue. The person who
> bakes from a mix is quite likely to already have the ingredients that are
> in the box. He/she already has the technology (measuring devices, bowls,
> oven, utensils, etc.) because you still have to prepare the mix and add
> other ingredients such as butter, oil, eggs, milk, and water.

<lots of good points removed for brevity>

It's an interesting sociological question. Some people blame it on the
haste in the modern world, which is obviously bull. If you can find time to
watch the evening news you have enough time to bake most anything. Some
people blame it on our impulsive, must have instant gratification society.
Which is also bull. Some people say it's just for convenience. Which is
probably bull. Some people blame it on daily stress and weariness, which is
a believable but poor excuse, and a symptom of another, related problem.

I almost bet it all on a girl who's experience with home cooking
involved margarine spread and 'eggs' in little plastic jugs. This family
did not so much cook food as assemble it from high level components and
apply heat.

I think she resented my look of bewilderment when she exclaimed that
what she had planned to make was not possible because the service deli at
the grocery store was closed and thus flattened chicken breasts were not
available. Just to offer an example.

Needless to say, next time i go meet some girl's parents (or visit her
home), I'm looking for an herb garden, evidence of tomato cultivation,
presence of a well worn stand mixer, an oven that will never truly be clean
again, that sort of thing.

I think these people just aren't interested in the craft or art of it
all. Some of them believe themselves too stupid to understand processes
that were in daily use 500 years or more ago, some of them just don't want
it.

They find themselves in a situation where they can't afford to eat out
every night and they're getting tired of the same frozen foods and macaroni
& cheese and -helper and bottled spaghetti sauce and cold cut sandwitches,
but they don't want to learn anything or develop any skills.

There is a resentment they feel toward us for the attitude and
sometimes condescension we show them. Can't blame 'em. But that doesn't
stop me from thinking of them as wimps.

Or, like my paternal grandmother, they were just sick of it after 40
years of cooking every day. No grandparent ever cooked me anything more
complex than an omelet. Granted, I feel like I'm a decade or more away from
matching that quality of omelet.

I'm tempted to recommend the 'recipe' to a vegan girl I know who makes
'brownies' by combining brownie mix and water. I can't decide if that would
be condescending or helpful of me.
Eric Jorgensen

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:53:30 GMT
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> [...]

They find themselves in a situation where they can't afford to eat out
every night and they're getting tired of the same frozen foods and macaroni
& cheese and -helper and bottled spaghetti sauce and cold cut sandwitches,
but they don't want to learn anything or develop any skills.

There is a resentment they feel toward us for the attitude and
sometimes condescension we show them. Can't blame 'em. But that doesn't
stop me from thinking of them as wimps.

Or, like my paternal grandmother, they were just sick of it after 40
years of cooking every day. No grandparent ever cooked me anything more
complex than an omelet. Granted, I feel like I'm a decade or more away from
matching that quality of omelet.

I'm tempted to recommend the 'recipe' to a vegan girl I know who makes
'brownies' by combining brownie mix and water. I can't decide if that would

Eric Jorgensen

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:53:30 GMT
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> [...]

They find themselves in a situation where they can't afford to eat out
every night and they're getting tired of the same frozen foods and macaroni
& cheese and -helper and bottled spaghetti sauce and cold cut sandwitches,
but they don't want to learn anything or develop any skills.

There is a resentment they feel toward us for the attitude and
sometimes condescension we show them. Can't blame 'em. But that doesn't
stop me from thinking of them as wimps.

Or, like my paternal grandmother, they were just sick of it after 40
years of cooking every day. No grandparent ever cooked me anything more
complex than an omelet. Granted, I feel like I'm a decade or more away from
matching that quality of omelet.

I'm tempted to recommend the 'recipe' to a vegan girl I know who makes
'brownies' by combining brownie mix and water. I can't decide if that would
Hairy

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> time

powder?

> > > I guess I really don't understand why people buy flour.
> > > You really should plant wheat, harvest and mill.
> > >
> > > And SUGAR.... who buys processed sugar ?
> > >
> > > Don't even get me started on commercial salt....
> > >

> > > <rj>

> > I salute you for a fine response, RJ. Drinks are on me That recipe is
> > nothing that would prompt me to make it, but the poor OP sure got
> > lambasted for what I'm guessing she thought was a swell idea. What a
> > way to encourage a person. Keerist!
> > --

> Unfortunately the response didn't address the issue. The person who bakes
> from a mix is quite likely to already have the ingredients that are in the
> box. He/she already has the technology (measuring devices, bowls, oven,
> utensils, etc.) because you still have to prepare the mix and add other
> ingredients such as butter, oil, eggs, milk, and water. The baked goods
> need to prepared on baking sheets or in pans and baked. RJ's logic fails
> because the person who produces their own ingredients would need resources
> such as land, the opportunity to produces the ingredients ( sugar doesn't
> grow well in Calgary), additional technology (i.e., farm equipment), and
> would have to acquire vastly different skills and knowledge. In other
> words, baking from a mix and baking from scratch require almost identical
> skills and technology. Oh the other hand, baking, farming, mining,

milling,
> distilling, etc., require vastly different skills and technology than

baking
> regardless of whether one is baking from scratch or from a mix. The

person
> who produces their own ingredients would also have to be physically

capable
> of farming and mining. Furthermore, it is quite unlikely that a person
> would have both a salt mine and farmable land.

Must be that time of the month, huh?

Hairy

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> time

powder?

> > > I guess I really don't understand why people buy flour.
> > > You really should plant wheat, harvest and mill.
> > >
> > > And SUGAR.... who buys processed sugar ?
> > >
> > > Don't even get me started on commercial salt....
> > >

> > > <rj>

> > I salute you for a fine response, RJ. Drinks are on me That recipe is
> > nothing that would prompt me to make it, but the poor OP sure got
> > lambasted for what I'm guessing she thought was a swell idea. What a
> > way to encourage a person. Keerist!
> > --

> Unfortunately the response didn't address the issue. The person who bakes
> from a mix is quite likely to already have the ingredients that are in the
> box. He/she already has the technology (measuring devices, bowls, oven,
> utensils, etc.) because you still have to prepare the mix and add other
> ingredients such as butter, oil, eggs, milk, and water. The baked goods
> need to prepared on baking sheets or in pans and baked. RJ's logic fails
> because the person who produces their own ingredients would need resources
> such as land, the opportunity to produces the ingredients ( sugar doesn't
> grow well in Calgary), additional technology (i.e., farm equipment), and
> would have to acquire vastly different skills and knowledge. In other
> words, baking from a mix and baking from scratch require almost identical
> skills and technology. Oh the other hand, baking, farming, mining,

milling,
> distilling, etc., require vastly different skills and technology than

baking
> regardless of whether one is baking from scratch or from a mix. The

person
> who produces their own ingredients would also have to be physically

capable
> of farming and mining. Furthermore, it is quite unlikely that a person
> would have both a salt mine and farmable land.

Must be that time of the month, huh?

Hairy

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> time

powder?

> > > I guess I really don't understand why people buy flour.
> > > You really should plant wheat, harvest and mill.
> > >
> > > And SUGAR.... who buys processed sugar ?
> > >
> > > Don't even get me started on commercial salt....
> > >

> > > <rj>

> > I salute you for a fine response, RJ. Drinks are on me That recipe is
> > nothing that would prompt me to make it, but the poor OP sure got
> > lambasted for what I'm guessing she thought was a swell idea. What a
> > way to encourage a person. Keerist!
> > --

> Unfortunately the response didn't address the issue. The person who bakes
> from a mix is quite likely to already have the ingredients that are in the
> box. He/she already has the technology (measuring devices, bowls, oven,
> utensils, etc.) because you still have to prepare the mix and add other
> ingredients such as butter, oil, eggs, milk, and water. The baked goods
> need to prepared on baking sheets or in pans and baked. RJ's logic fails
> because the person who produces their own ingredients would need resources
> such as land, the opportunity to produces the ingredients ( sugar doesn't
> grow well in Calgary), additional technology (i.e., farm equipment), and
> would have to acquire vastly different skills and knowledge. In other
> words, baking from a mix and baking from scratch require almost identical
> skills and technology. Oh the other hand, baking, farming, mining,

milling,
> distilling, etc., require vastly different skills and technology than

baking
> regardless of whether one is baking from scratch or from a mix. The

person
> who produces their own ingredients would also have to be physically

capable
> of farming and mining. Furthermore, it is quite unlikely that a person
> would have both a salt mine and farmable land.

Must be that time of the month, huh?

Vox Humana

"Hairy" > wrote in message

> Must be that time of the month, huh?

It's always the right time of the month for rational thinking.

Vox Humana

"Hairy" > wrote in message

> Must be that time of the month, huh?

It's always the right time of the month for rational thinking.

Hairy

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Hairy" > wrote in message
> >

> > Must be that time of the month, huh?

> It's always the right time of the month for rational thinking.

Considering the millions of cake mixes sold each year, is it rational to
think that 'your way' is the only way worth posting about?

Hairy

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Hairy" > wrote in message
> >

> > Must be that time of the month, huh?

> It's always the right time of the month for rational thinking.

Considering the millions of cake mixes sold each year, is it rational to
think that 'your way' is the only way worth posting about?

Eric Jorgensen

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:30:36 -0600
"Hairy" > wrote:

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Hairy" > wrote in message
> > >

> > > Must be that time of the month, huh?

> > It's always the right time of the month for rational thinking.
> >

> Considering the millions of cake mixes sold each year, is it rational to
> think that 'your way' is the only way worth posting about?

You hit the nail right on the head. Yes, it is.

Making a cake out of the right kind of flour, sugar, eggs, etc, while
using the correct process is at the very least a craft.

Working to perfect your recipe and process is at the very least a hobby
and can be argued to be an artistic pursuit.

If you use a ready-made mix it's just assembly.

Wayne Boatwright

Eric Jorgensen > wrote in

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:30:36 -0600
> "Hairy" > wrote:

>> > It's always the right time of the month for rational thinking.
>> >

>> Considering the millions of cake mixes sold each year, is it rational
>> to think that 'your way' is the only way worth posting about?

> You hit the nail right on the head. Yes, it is.
>
> Making a cake out of the right kind of flour, sugar, eggs, etc, while
> using the correct process is at the very least a craft.
>
> Working to perfect your recipe and process is at the very least a
> hobby
> and can be argued to be an artistic pursuit.
>
> If you use a ready-made mix it's just assembly.

Very well said. For many people it's any means to an end.

I make virtually perfect piecrust, and I spent many years endeavoring to
reach that end. For me, I cannot imagine using a piecrust mix or a
pre-made piecrust. Others wouldn't hesitate in using those shortcuts.
I'm not here to judge, but the final product is evidence itself.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Wayne Boatwright

Eric Jorgensen > wrote in

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:30:36 -0600
> "Hairy" > wrote:

>> > It's always the right time of the month for rational thinking.
>> >

>> Considering the millions of cake mixes sold each year, is it rational
>> to think that 'your way' is the only way worth posting about?

> You hit the nail right on the head. Yes, it is.
>
> Making a cake out of the right kind of flour, sugar, eggs, etc, while
> using the correct process is at the very least a craft.
>
> Working to perfect your recipe and process is at the very least a
> hobby
> and can be argued to be an artistic pursuit.
>
> If you use a ready-made mix it's just assembly.

Very well said. For many people it's any means to an end.

I make virtually perfect piecrust, and I spent many years endeavoring to
reach that end. For me, I cannot imagine using a piecrust mix or a
pre-made piecrust. Others wouldn't hesitate in using those shortcuts.
I'm not here to judge, but the final product is evidence itself.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Vox Humana

"Hairy" > wrote in message

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Hairy" > wrote in message
> > >

> > > Must be that time of the month, huh?

> > It's always the right time of the month for rational thinking.
> >

> Considering the millions of cake mixes sold each year, is it rational to
> think that 'your way' is the only way worth posting about?

You would have a point if anyone actually said that. Of course millions of
doses of crack cocaine are also sold each year, but it would hard to argue
that the sale of crack is prima facia evidence of its virtue.

Vox Humana

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> Eric Jorgensen > wrote in

> I make virtually perfect piecrust, and I spent many years endeavoring to
> reach that end. For me, I cannot imagine using a piecrust mix or a
> pre-made piecrust. Others wouldn't hesitate in using those shortcuts.
> I'm not here to judge, but the final product is evidence itself.

But the people who wish to suppress the discussion haven't offered a strong,
rational argument to support the use of mixes. Instead, they want to claim
that there was an element of judgment subliminally advanced because people
have the audacity to suggest that mixes have major limitations. Frankly I
don't care if people eat the mix directly out of the box. I think we are
moving in a dangerous direction. America is becoming a nation where you
can't express your opinion without people wanting to inject "morality" into
the discussion.

Vox Humana

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in
> :
>

> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> >> Eric Jorgensen > wrote in

> >> I make virtually perfect piecrust, and I spent many years endeavoring
> >> to reach that end. For me, I cannot imagine using a piecrust mix or a
> >> pre-made piecrust. Others wouldn't hesitate in using those shortcuts.
> >> I'm not here to judge, but the final product is evidence itself.

> > But the people who wish to suppress the discussion haven't offered a
> > strong, rational argument to support the use of mixes. Instead, they
> > want to claim that there was an element of judgment subliminally
> > advanced because people have the audacity to suggest that mixes have
> > major limitations. Frankly I don't care if people eat the mix directly
> > out of the box. I think we are moving in a dangerous direction.
> > America is becoming a nation where you can't express your opinion
> > without people wanting to inject "morality" into the discussion.

> You're absolutely right. I see that everywhere, the workplace, the
> marketplace, and everywhere in between. For me it also brings to mind the
> issue of "political correctness" which I feel has also gone over the edge.
> I've gotten to the point that most of the time I'd rather say nothing than
> weigh every syllable I speak.

Religious-speak is the new PC!

Wayne Boatwright

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> Eric Jorgensen > wrote in

>> I make virtually perfect piecrust, and I spent many years endeavoring
>> to reach that end. For me, I cannot imagine using a piecrust mix or a
>> pre-made piecrust. Others wouldn't hesitate in using those shortcuts.
>> I'm not here to judge, but the final product is evidence itself.

> But the people who wish to suppress the discussion haven't offered a
> strong, rational argument to support the use of mixes. Instead, they
> want to claim that there was an element of judgment subliminally
> advanced because people have the audacity to suggest that mixes have
> major limitations. Frankly I don't care if people eat the mix directly
> out of the box. I think we are moving in a dangerous direction.
> America is becoming a nation where you can't express your opinion
> without people wanting to inject "morality" into the discussion.

You're absolutely right. I see that everywhere, the workplace, the
marketplace, and everywhere in between. For me it also brings to mind the
issue of "political correctness" which I feel has also gone over the edge.
I've gotten to the point that most of the time I'd rather say nothing than
weigh every syllable I speak.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

>> > --
>>
>> Unfortunately the response didn't address the issue. The person who
>> bakes from a mix is quite likely to already have the ingredients that are
>> in the box. He/she already has the technology (measuring devices, bowls,
>> oven, utensils, etc.) because you still have to prepare the mix and add
>> other ingredients such as butter, oil, eggs, milk, and water.

><lots of good points removed for brevity>

This IS a "baking group"....
It shouldn't matter if you mix with your right hand or left....
Whether you heat your oven with wood, electric or gas.

ALL input should be welcome at the baking table.

There are no dumb questions/suggestions
Only denigrating responses from tiny people.

If this is private group for baking "purists"
Then, I guess I'm in the wrong place.

<rj>