Old 15-11-2004, 01:51 AM
Eric Jorgensen

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:12:31 GMT
Ida Slapter wrote:

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:41:55 -0700, Eric Jorgensen
wrote:

cloyingly sweet.

....now there is a Martha word.

I was raised by an english professor and a librarian, thank you. I was
using words like that in jr. high, well before Martha had a massive divorce
settlement in her favor and started her evil empire.

Old 15-11-2004, 03:22 AM
Ida Slapter

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 17:51:20 -0700, Eric Jorgensen
wrote:

I was raised by an english professor and a librarian, thank you. I was
using words like that in jr. high, well before Martha had a massive divorce
settlement in her favor and started her evil empire.

pompous? yes......

likeable.....questionable....

killfile....priceless!

Old 15-11-2004, 12:56 PM
Jane Lumley

In article , Ida Slapter
writes
wrote:

I was raised by an english professor and a librarian, thank you. I was
using words like that in jr. high, well before Martha had a massive divorce
settlement in her favor and started her evil empire.

pompous? yes......

likeable.....questionable....

Lordy. I must remember to use only very short words. Like silly, and
futile.

Personally, I was raised by a mechanic. But I went to school later .

And I still don't like bake mix and don't see the point of it.
--
Jane Lumley

Old 15-11-2004, 04:33 PM
Eric Jorgensen

wrote:

I was raised by an english professor and a librarian, thank you. I
was
using words like that in jr. high, well before Martha had a massive
divorce settlement in her favor and started her evil empire.

pompous? yes......

No, I think arrogant is a better word. Perhaps even boorish. Pomposity
is characterized by not only arrogance but also an excessive sense of
dignity. My statement was decidedly lowbrow.

likeable.....questionable....

Ask me if i care if you like me. Come on, ask. I'm dying to tell you.

killfile....priceless!

I agree completely.

wants your input here.

(and what on earth is frugal about using a $2 cake mix that has $0.23
worth of ingredients in it?)

Old 15-11-2004, 09:53 PM
Vox Humana

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message

In article , Vox Humana
writes

This recipe is fantastic. What do you think about it?

I guess I just don't understand why people buy mixes. How hard or

time
consuming is it to measure some flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder?
That's about all you get with a cake mix, aside from preservatives,
emulsifiers, artificial flavoring, and other additives.

I guess I really don't understand why people buy flour.
You really should plant wheat, harvest and mill.

And SUGAR.... who buys processed sugar ?

Don't even get me started on commercial salt....

rj

I salute you for a fine response, RJ. Drinks are on me That recipe is
nothing that would prompt me to make it, but the poor OP sure got
lambasted for what I'm guessing she thought was a swell idea. What a
way to encourage a person. Keerist!
--

Unfortunately the response didn't address the issue. The person who bakes
from a mix is quite likely to already have the ingredients that are in the
box. He/she already has the technology (measuring devices, bowls, oven,
utensils, etc.) because you still have to prepare the mix and add other
ingredients such as butter, oil, eggs, milk, and water. The baked goods
need to prepared on baking sheets or in pans and baked. RJ's logic fails
because the person who produces their own ingredients would need resources
such as land, the opportunity to produces the ingredients ( sugar doesn't
grow well in Calgary), additional technology (i.e., farm equipment), and
would have to acquire vastly different skills and knowledge. In other
words, baking from a mix and baking from scratch require almost identical
skills and technology. Oh the other hand, baking, farming, mining, milling,
distilling, etc., require vastly different skills and technology than baking
regardless of whether one is baking from scratch or from a mix. The person
who produces their own ingredients would also have to be physically capable
of farming and mining. Furthermore, it is quite unlikely that a person
would have both a salt mine and farmable land.

Old 15-11-2004, 10:49 PM
Eric Jorgensen

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:53:30 GMT
"Vox Humana" wrote:

I salute you for a fine response, RJ. Drinks are on me That recipe is
nothing that would prompt me to make it, but the poor OP sure got
lambasted for what I'm guessing she thought was a swell idea. What a
way to encourage a person. Keerist!
--

Unfortunately the response didn't address the issue. The person who
bakes from a mix is quite likely to already have the ingredients that are
in the box. He/she already has the technology (measuring devices, bowls,
oven, utensils, etc.) because you still have to prepare the mix and add
other ingredients such as butter, oil, eggs, milk, and water.

lots of good points removed for brevity

It's an interesting sociological question. Some people blame it on the
haste in the modern world, which is obviously bull. If you can find time to
watch the evening news you have enough time to bake most anything. Some
people blame it on our impulsive, must have instant gratification society.
Which is also bull. Some people say it's just for convenience. Which is
probably bull. Some people blame it on daily stress and weariness, which is
a believable but poor excuse, and a symptom of another, related problem.

I almost bet it all on a girl who's experience with home cooking
involved margarine spread and 'eggs' in little plastic jugs. This family
did not so much cook food as assemble it from high level components and
apply heat.

I think she resented my look of bewilderment when she exclaimed that
what she had planned to make was not possible because the service deli at
the grocery store was closed and thus flattened chicken breasts were not
available. Just to offer an example.

Needless to say, next time i go meet some girl's parents (or visit her
home), I'm looking for an herb garden, evidence of tomato cultivation,
presence of a well worn stand mixer, an oven that will never truly be clean
again, that sort of thing.

I think these people just aren't interested in the craft or art of it
all. Some of them believe themselves too stupid to understand processes
that were in daily use 500 years or more ago, some of them just don't want
it.

They find themselves in a situation where they can't afford to eat out
every night and they're getting tired of the same frozen foods and macaroni
& cheese and -helper and bottled spaghetti sauce and cold cut sandwitches,
but they don't want to learn anything or develop any skills.

There is a resentment they feel toward us for the attitude and
sometimes condescension we show them. Can't blame 'em. But that doesn't
stop me from thinking of them as wimps.

Or, like my paternal grandmother, they were just sick of it after 40
years of cooking every day. No grandparent ever cooked me anything more
complex than an omelet. Granted, I feel like I'm a decade or more away from
matching that quality of omelet.

I'm tempted to recommend the 'recipe' to a vegan girl I know who makes
'brownies' by combining brownie mix and water. I can't decide if that would
be condescending or helpful of me.