FoodBanter.com

-   -   How is Duncan Hines cake mix supposed to taste? (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/428893-how-duncan-hines-cake.html)

[email protected] 05-05-2014 07:28 AM

How is Duncan Hines cake mix supposed to taste?

On a whim I made a cake for the first time ever, in this case a Duncan Hines Triple Chocolate cake.

Process was pretty straightforward. I used an electric mixer to mix the batter powder, eggs, oil and water. Used store-brand corn oil. Baked it in 2 9-inch pans for 30 mins.

The results were okay - tastes pretty good. However the basic texture isn't like a store-bought cake. By that I mean it's kind of dense, chewy compared to a store-bought which I would describe as typically being more light, fluffy.

Is there a way to make it more like store-bought?

Thanks.

bigwheel 05-05-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 1928378)
On a whim I made a cake for the first time ever, in this case a Duncan Hines Triple Chocolate cake.

Process was pretty straightforward. I used an electric mixer to mix the batter powder, eggs, oil and water. Used store-brand corn oil. Baked it in 2 9-inch pans for 30 mins.

The results were okay - tastes pretty good. However the basic texture isn't like a store-bought cake. By that I mean it's kind of dense, chewy compared to a store-bought which I would describe as typically being more light, fluffy.

Is there a way to make it more like store-bought?

Thanks.

Should be pretty light textured. Did you follow the directions on the box?

[email protected] 07-05-2014 05:56 PM

On Monday, May 5, 2014 1:03:56 PM UTC-4, bigwheel wrote:

> > On a whim I made a cake for the first time ever, in this case a Duncan

> > Hines Triple Chocolate cake.

> > Process was pretty straightforward. I used an electric mixer to mix the

> > batter powder, eggs, oil and water. Used store-brand corn oil. Baked it

> > in 2 9-inch pans for 30 mins.

> > The results were okay - tastes pretty good. However the basic texture

> > isn't like a store-bought cake. By that I mean it's kind of dense, chewy

> > compared to a store-bought which I would describe as typically being

> > more light, fluffy.

> > Is there a way to make it more like store-bought?

> > Thanks.

> Should be pretty light textured. Did you follow the directions on the
> box?

Yes. I used corn oil, the recipe says "vegetable oil". Should corn oil work?

[email protected] 07-05-2014 05:58 PM

How is Duncan Hines cake mix supposed to taste?

On Monday, May 5, 2014 1:03:56 PM UTC-4, bigwheel wrote:
> Should be pretty light textured. Did you follow the directions on the
> box?

Yes. The instructions say to use vegetable oil, I used corn oil. Should that work?

bigwheel 08-05-2014 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 1928994)
On Monday, May 5, 2014 1:03:56 PM UTC-4, bigwheel wrote:
Should be pretty light textured. Did you follow the directions on the
box?

Yes. The instructions say to use vegetable oil, I used corn oil. Should that work?

Yep corn oil should be just fine. I'm thinking maybe you might not should have used the mixer on it. I went and got a Duncan Hines cake mix out of the cabinet. It says to "stir" it. I would try stirring next time and leave off with the mixer. Bet that might help. I know with cookies it really messes with the texture to use a mixer on it once the wet and dry comes together.

[email protected] 10-05-2014 04:44 AM

On Thursday, May 8, 2014 4:04:30 PM UTC-4, bigwheel wrote:

> Yep corn oil should be just fine. I'm thinking maybe you might not
> should have used the mixer on it. I went and got a Duncan Hines cake mix
> out of the cabinet. It says to "stir" it. I would try stirring next time
> and leave off with the mixer. Bet that might help. I know with cookies
> it really messes with the texture to use a mixer on it once the wet and
> dry comes together.

Okay, I'll try again. What's considered the optimum stirring tool? Wood spoon?