FoodBanter.com

-   -   Hamburger buns (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/427820-hamburger-buns.html)

[email protected] 02-03-2014 11:30 PM

Hamburger buns

Anyone have any hints on how to make decent hamburger buns?
Can't find my Juliete Childs' Baking cookbook.
I think it is mainly a reduction in fat.
As long as I'm at it....how about those addicting Cibatta buns?

Nyssa 03-03-2014 02:29 PM

Hamburger buns

[email protected] wrote:

Anyone have any hints on how to make decent hamburger
buns? Can't find my Juliete Childs' Baking cookbook.
I think it is mainly a reduction in fat.
As long as I'm at it....how about those addicting Cibatta
buns?

I use the hamburger bun recipe on the King Arthur website.

The only change I make to the recipe is to increase the
dried onion to 1 1/2 tablespoons.

My neighbor loves 'em and says they "make the best
sandwich ever."

Nyssa, who is down to one hamburger bun in the freezer and
needs to make another batch

Cindy Adams 27-05-2014 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyssa (Post 1914713)
[email protected] wrote:

Anyone have any hints on how to make decent hamburger
buns? Can't find my Juliete Childs' Baking cookbook.
I think it is mainly a reduction in fat.
As long as I'm at it....how about those addicting Cibatta
buns?

I use the hamburger bun recipe on the King Arthur website.

The only change I make to the recipe is to increase the
dried onion to 1 1/2 tablespoons.

My neighbor loves 'em and says they "make the best
sandwich ever."

Nyssa, who is down to one hamburger bun in the freezer and
needs to make another batch

Amazing burger! Our table shared tots, onion rings and fries. I'm not a fry fan but others liked them. Tots we're relish but the onion rings.. Wow! Best onion rings I've ever had.

Terry Coombs 03-07-2017 05:38 PM

Hamburger buns

On 3/2/2014 5:30 PM, [email protected] wrote:
Anyone have any hints on how to make decent hamburger buns?
Can't find my Juliete Childs' Baking cookbook.
I think it is mainly a reduction in fat.
As long as I'm at it....how about those addicting Cibatta buns?

New to the group - but not to baking .

I use my regular white bread ( trying it as half-wheat today !)
recipe , weight the dough out into 75 gram portions . Bake 'em on a 12"
x 15" expanded mesh grilling rack from Walmart - the light cheap ones -
covered with foil that's sprayed with cooking oil . My recipe makes ~900
grams of dough , yielding a dozen buns per batch . Hot dog buns the same
except 60 grams and yields 15 buns - 3 rows of 5 buns each , and there's
a batch in the bread machine (mix and knead only) right now .

Just checked the first batch , 2 1lb loaves , and looks like one fell
just a bit . Not to worry , I figgered there'd be some adjustments .
I'll post my white bread and adjusted recipes if anyone wants them .

--

Snag

Or maybe not , I just realized I'm responding to a post from March of
2014 ...

Nyssa[_2_] 04-07-2017 02:23 PM

Hamburger buns

Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

Don't worry; it happens to all of us occasionally. At least
the original post was from this century.

Perhaps a lurker can use the information if not the OP.

For hamburger/sandwich buns I use a recipe from the King
Arthur site that makes six big buns. The only change I made
was to up the dried onion to 1 1/2 tablespoons.

I also use a recipe I modified from one posted on alt.bread.
recipes that uses a bit of rye flour along with the white
plus some celery seed and onion powder.

Nyssa, who is glad she's got a stash of the sandwich buns
in the freezer since it's too doggone hot to bake now