FoodBanter.com

-   -   Can you tell what type of bread this is by the description I give? NEED HELP! (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/421601-can-you-tell-what.html)

Danielle444 09-12-2012 07:43 PM

Can you tell what type of bread this is by the description I give? NEED HELP!

This is my grandmother's recipe she would make this dessert every Christmas and it is everyone's favorite.She can't make it anymore because she is too ill and can't remember. No one else in the family knows what recipe she used either. We called it coffee cake but it had a creamy frosting, not a crumbly one. Anyway, I know the recipe for the frosting but I can't find the bread recipe she used. It was in the Better Homes and Gardens 01 cookbook. It is very old by the look of it.

HERE IS THE DESCRIPTION:
The cake/bread part tasted plain and dry, not sweet or salty (the best part of this cake was the frosting but it's so sweet it needs that plain dry base to even it out.)
My family would always put butter on the cut part of the bread to give it a bit of moistness.
It was a sturdy bread when you cut into it bits would crumble off but you could pick a piece up and it would support itself, it wasn't soft (it wasn't hard either, i mean it was hard for a bread/cake).
It was solid all the way through, by this I mean some breads have big air bubble spots, this was like a solid chunk of bread all the way though.
The crust wasn't like a bread, ( you know darker color, or hard and crusty like most breads) the crust was more like a cake in that it seemed no different than the inside, same texture and taste, basically same color but a bit darker since it got the most heat.

Can anyone help me classify what type of bread this is? I have never worked with yeast before so I can't guess what the finished product will be like based on ingredients. I really need help!!

Bertie Doe 19-12-2012 03:23 PM

"Danielle444" wrote in message

>This is my grandmother's recipe she would make this dessert every
>Christmas and it is everyone's favorite.She can't make it anymore
>because she is too ill and can't remember. No one else in the family
>knows what recipe she used either. We called it coffee cake but it had a
>creamy frosting, not a crumbly one. Anyway, I know the recipe for the
>frosting but I can't find the bread recipe she used. It was in the
>Better Homes and Gardens 01 cookbook. It is very old by the look of it.

Hi Danielle, sounds interesting, a yeasted coffee bread. So I've posted it
to abr for some advice.
Incidentally, did the frosting taste of coffee or was it simply a bread you
had at coffee time?
Meanwhile, here are some 20 pages of pics, do any look familiar?
http://preview.tinyurl.com/c2v3js4

Bertie