Lesley Gault

Default Ginger cake

Could anyone give me a recipe for ginger cake that is not really dry.
I have made a couple but they always turn out very dry inside although
they taste fine. It may be my cooking that's the problem but I would
like to think its the recipe!!!!!
rebecca

On 24 Feb 2004 07:29:01 -0800, (Lesley Gault)
wrote:

>Could anyone give me a recipe for ginger cake that is not really dry.
>I have made a couple but they always turn out very dry inside although
>they taste fine. It may be my cooking that's the problem but I would
>like to think its the recipe!!!!!

This one's pretty good, and nicely damp.

Light ginger cake with lemon icing

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cake gingerbread
veg

10 ounces white or wholewheat flour, or a mixture --
(275 g/ 2 1/2 C)
1 tablespoon potato starch
1 tablespoon tapioca starch
2 ounces soy flour -- (50g/ scant 1/2 C)
2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
8 ounces sugar -- (225 g/ generous cup)
6 fluid ounces olive oil -- (200 ml/ 3/4 C)
5 fluid ounces orange juice -- (150 ml/ 2/3 C)
5 fluid ounces water -- (150 ml/ 2/3 C)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 ounces preserved ginger -- (125 g/ 1/2 C) roughly
chopped

Icing:
3 ounces powdered sugar -- (100/ 2/3 C)
lemon juice -- enough to make a stiff mixture
long strips of lemon zest

Heat oven to 325F/160C.

Sift first 8 ingredients together, then mix in sugar.

Whisk the wet ingredients together, then add to the dry ingredients
and mix well. Mix in the preserved ginger.

Pour into a thouroughly greased deep 22-cm cake pan and bake for an
hour to an hour and a half, depending on the the pan's configuration.

When it's done, let the cake rest in the pan for 5 minutes before
turning it out on a rack to cool.

When it's cool, cover the top with the icing and decoratively scatter
the zest.

Source:
"adapted from Rose Elliot's _Vegan Feasts_"

navananthini

how to make ginger cake?
rodent

rebecca wrote:

snip

> This one's pretty good, and nicely damp.
>

> Light ginger cake with lemon icing

snip

> 4 ounces preserved ginger -- (125 g/ 1/2 C) roughly
> chopped

snip

> Whisk the wet ingredients together, then add to the dry ingredients
> and mix well. Mix in the preserved ginger.

When you say preserved, do you mean candied / crystallized ginger?
'Cause the types I can get here in OK are 1)candied 2)ground and 3)fresh.

Thanks

Otherwise this looks Tasty!

rodent
rebecca

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:02:49 -0600, rodent > wrote:

>rebecca wrote:
>

>> 4 ounces preserved ginger -- (125 g/ 1/2 C) roughly
>> chopped
>>

>When you say preserved, do you mean candied / crystallized ginger?
>'Cause the types I can get here in OK are 1)candied 2)ground and 3)fresh.

I'm not sure--I think it means the kind that comes in a jar, in syrup.
It's like the candied / crystallized kind, but wetter and a little
softer. I've used both kinds, though, and they both work. The
cookbook the recipe's from is English, so I'd think 'preserved ginger'
would be an English ingredient.

BTW, the cake turns out better if you make it in a tube pan--I make it
in a deep 20-cm pan with a small tube. It turns out kind of crumbly,
though very damp and tasty, and the pan with the tube seems to help
the slices not fall apart.

--Rebecca