FoodBanter.com

-   -   Help! My strawberry pie flopped! (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/417615-help-my-strawberry-pie.html)

Lori1961 11-05-2012 07:59 PM

Help! My strawberry pie flopped!

I would call myself a seasoned baker so I am baffled about what I did wrong. I got this recipe from a local news station as they are doing a special for strawberry season. The recipe is called mile high strawberry pie. The recipe called for me to puree the berries, then add 3 egg whites, sugar and lemon juice and beat in a mixer (I used my kitchenaid) till stiff peaks form. Well after an hour, I still had a liquidy mess. I do not understand! Help anyone?!?!

Nyssa 12-05-2012 03:26 PM

Lori1961 wrote:

> I would call myself a seasoned baker so I am baffled about what
> I did
> wrong. I got this recipe from a local news station as they are
> doing a
> special for strawberry season. The recipe is called mile high
> strawberry pie. The recipe called for me to puree the berries,
> then add 3 egg whites, sugar and lemon juice and beat in a
> mixer (I used my
> kitchenaid) till stiff peaks form. Well after an hour, I still
> had a
> liquidy mess. I do not understand! Help anyone?!?!

My first thought was that they might have meant for you to beat the
egg whites, sugar, and lemon juice together until stiff peaks form,
*then* gently fold in the pureed strawberries.

Just an idea.

Nyssa, who usually sticks to apple pie