FoodBanter.com

-   -   Malt in bread (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/412031-malt-bread.html)

injipoint[_2_] 19-10-2011 11:19 PM

Malt in bread

I've been looking at a website called the Artisan dot net - all bread
and pasta recipes. Several of the recipes call for Malt. Only a little
i.e. 1/4 teaspoon.

I've looked for this in baking sections at Safeway and Giant.

Can someone tell me what it is and if I'm looking in the
correct place. Or is it a specialty item only found in Italian
food shops? Or is it no more than the malt you put in milkshakes?

tia.

Jim Lahue[_2_] 20-10-2011 06:37 PM

Malt in bread

On 10/19/2011 4:19 PM, injipoint wrote:

> I've been looking at a website called the Artisan dot net - all bread
> and pasta recipes. Several of the recipes call for Malt. Only a little
> i.e. 1/4 teaspoon.
>
> I've looked for this in baking sections at Safeway and Giant.
>
> Can someone tell me what it is and if I'm looking in the
> correct place. Or is it a specialty item only found in Italian
> food shops? Or is it no more than the malt you put in milkshakes?
>
> tia.

There are a couple of different types of malt powder. I assume that
what they want is something like this:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...t-powder-16-oz

Jim Lahue

injipoint[_2_] 20-10-2011 08:01 PM

Malt in bread

On 20/10/2011 1:37 PM, Jim Lahue wrote:
> On 10/19/2011 4:19 PM, injipoint wrote:
>>
>> I've been looking at a website called the Artisan dot net - all bread
>> and pasta recipes. Several of the recipes call for Malt. Only a little
>> i.e. 1/4 teaspoon.
>>
>> I've looked for this in baking sections at Safeway and Giant.
>>
>> Can someone tell me what it is and if I'm looking in the
>> correct place. Or is it a specialty item only found in Italian
>> food shops? Or is it no more than the malt you put in milkshakes?
>>
>> tia.

> There are a couple of different types of malt powder. I assume that what
> they want is something like this:
>
> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...t-powder-16-oz
>

> Jim Lahue

That looks like the stuff. Now I just have to find some.

Thanks.

merryb 22-10-2011 07:07 PM

Malt in bread

On Oct 19, 3:19*pm, injipoint > wrote:
> I've been looking at a website called the Artisan dot net - all bread
> and pasta recipes. *Several of the recipes call for Malt. *Only a little
> i.e. 1/4 teaspoon.
>
> I've looked for this in baking sections at Safeway and Giant.
>
> Can someone tell me what it is and if I'm looking in the
> correct place. *Or is it a specialty item only found in Italian
> food shops? *Or is it no more than the malt you put in milkshakes?
>
> tia.

I found it in a health food store...

injipoint[_2_] 22-10-2011 07:43 PM

Malt in bread

On 22/10/2011 2:07 PM, Merryb wrote:
> On Oct 19, 3:19 pm, > wrote:
>> I've been looking at a website called the Artisan dot net - all bread
>> and pasta recipes. Several of the recipes call for Malt. Only a little
>> i.e. 1/4 teaspoon.
>>
>> I've looked for this in baking sections at Safeway and Giant.
>>
>> Can someone tell me what it is and if I'm looking in the
>> correct place. Or is it a specialty item only found in Italian
>> food shops? Or is it no more than the malt you put in milkshakes?
>>
>> tia.

> I found it in a health food store...

That makes sense.

Darn it. We managed to get a lift in a real motor vehicle over to
Annapolis last Wednesday and went to Whole Foods for a soup lunch.
Completely forgot to look for the malt but that would have been
an ideal place. :(

Will have to wait until we sail up to Washington next weekend or
thereabouts.

Mr warne 28-11-2011 11:39 AM

I like to eat Malt in Bread.