Posted to alt.usage.english,rec.food.baking

Default the sweetness of scones

> Some are very slightly sweet, but otherwise they are extremely
> bland, even by American food standards.

That's what you get for calling them "biscuits". If you called them
"scones" like the South Africans, you'd be able to put raisins,
blackberries, blackcurrants, cranberries, or even spinach in them.

http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-321958.html
http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-455702.html
http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...et-692552.html
http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-383889.html
http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-443243.html
http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-358545.html
Posted to alt.usage.english,rec.food.baking

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:

> That's what you get for calling them "biscuits". If you called them
> "scones" like the South Africans, you'd be able to put raisins,
> blackberries, blackcurrants, cranberries, or even spinach in them.
>
> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-321958.html
> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-455702.html

http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...et-692552.html

http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-383889.html

http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-443243.html
> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-358545.html

Oooh, I've never tried putting spinach in them! I must try that...

--
Chris
Posted to alt.usage.english,rec.food.baking

CT filted:

>Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
>
>> That's what you get for calling them "biscuits". If you called them
>> "scones" like the South Africans, you'd be able to put raisins,
>> blackberries, blackcurrants, cranberries, or even spinach in them.

>Oooh, I've never tried putting spinach in them! I must try that...

The stomach boggles....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
Posted to alt.usage.english,rec.food.baking

On 24/08/11 7:16 PM, CT wrote:
> Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
>
>> That's what you get for calling them "biscuits". If you called them
>> "scones" like the South Africans, you'd be able to put raisins,
>> blackberries, blackcurrants, cranberries, or even spinach in them.
>>
>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-321958.html
>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-455702.html
>>

> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...et-692552.html
>>

> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-383889.html
>>

> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-443243.html
>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-358545.html

> Oooh, I've never tried putting spinach in them! I must try that...

Add a bit of cheese too.

--
Robert Bannister
Posted to alt.usage.english,rec.food.baking

On 8/24/2011 6:38 AM, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
>> Some are very slightly sweet, but otherwise they are extremely
>> bland, even by American food standards.

> That's what you get for calling them "biscuits". If you called them
> "scones" like the South Africans, you'd be able to put raisins,
> blackberries, blackcurrants, cranberries, or even spinach in them.
>
> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-321958.html
> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-455702.html
> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...et-692552.html
>
> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-383889.html
> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-443243.html
> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-358545.html

I'm in the U.S., and King Arthur Flour produces a line of scone mixes
here with all sorts of things in them that are pretty good, for scones.

Orange - cranberry for instance.

--
Jared

Posted to alt.usage.english,rec.food.baking

Robert Bannister wrote:
> On 24/08/11 7:16 PM, CT wrote:

[of scones]

> > Oooh, I've never tried putting spinach in them! I must try that...
> >

> Add a bit of cheese too.

Hell, yeah! Now we're talkin' )

--
Chris
Posted to alt.usage.english,rec.food.baking

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 10:51:56 +0800, Robert Bannister
> wrote:

>On 24/08/11 7:16 PM, CT wrote:
>> Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
>>
>>> That's what you get for calling them "biscuits". If you called them
>>> "scones" like the South Africans, you'd be able to put raisins,
>>> blackberries, blackcurrants, cranberries, or even spinach in them.
>>>
>>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-321958.html
>>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-455702.html
>>>

>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...et-692552.html
>>>

>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-383889.html
>>>

>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-443243.html
>>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-358545.html

>> Oooh, I've never tried putting spinach in them! I must try that...
>>

>Add a bit of cheese too.

Fetta cheese goes well.
--
Richard Bollard
Canberra Australia

To email, I'm at AMT not spAMT.
Posted to alt.usage.english,rec.food.baking

Richard Bollard wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 10:51:56 +0800, Robert Bannister
> > wrote:

>>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...et-692552.html
>>>>
>>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-383889.html
>>>>
>>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-443243.html
>>>
>>> Oooh, I've never tried putting spinach in them! I must try that...
>>>

>> Add a bit of cheese too.

> Fetta cheese goes well.

Yes, or pumpkin and sundried tomato.

--
Regards
John

Posted to alt.usage.english,rec.food.baking

Sounds like an arthouse film.

===
= DUG.
===

Posted to alt.usage.english,rec.food.baking

John Holmes wrote:

> Richard Bollard wrote:
>> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 10:51:56 +0800, Robert Bannister
>> > wrote:

at-a-Farmer%27s-Market-692552.html

Scones-383889.html

scones-443243.html

>>> Add a bit of cheese too.

>> Fetta cheese goes well.

> Yes, or pumpkin and sundried tomato.

Is sundried tomato a sub-set of all tomato?

--
Les
(BrE)

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 20:32:10 +1000, "John Holmes" >
wrote:

> Yes, or pumpkin and sundried tomato.

Would you please post a picture of what you call a pumpkin? Ours are
very watery and I wouldn't use it without a lot of fiddling first.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to alt.usage.english,rec.food.baking

On 26/08/11 6:47 PM, Leslie Danks wrote:
> John Holmes wrote:
>
>> Richard Bollard wrote:
>>> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 10:51:56 +0800, Robert Bannister

> at-a-Farmer%27s-Market-692552.html

> Scones-383889.html

> scones-443243.html

>>> Fetta cheese goes well.

>> Yes, or pumpkin and sundried tomato.
>>

> Is sundried tomato a sub-set of all tomato?

You take all and sundry and subtract the tomato.

--
Robert Bannister
Member

if you run out of bread, meals at school, my mother cooked "Bread Scone" that we could use instead. It was not sweet and used Scone dough buns same standard but instead had loafed bunned.

the sweetness of scones Jonathan de Boyne Pollard Baking 4 27-08-2011 07:54 PM
Sweetness Tom Kunich Winemaking 4 17-05-2011 07:26 PM
Sweetness Calculator Walter Venables Winemaking 4 21-06-2006 12:56 PM
Sweetness Matthew Givens Winemaking 6 02-03-2005 07:57 AM
How is sweetness described in red wine Douglas Roberts General 0 11-02-2005 10:42 PM