FoodBanter.com

-   -   the sweetness of scones (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/410430-re-sweetness-scones.html)

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard 24-08-2011 11:38 AM

the sweetness of scones

> Some are very slightly sweet, but otherwise they are extremely
> bland, even by American food standards.

That's what you get for calling them "biscuits". If you called them
"scones" like the South Africans, you'd be able to put raisins,
blackberries, blackcurrants, cranberries, or even spinach in them.

http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-321958.html
http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-455702.html
http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...et-692552.html
http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-383889.html
http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-443243.html
http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-358545.html

CT[_2_] 24-08-2011 12:16 PM

the sweetness of scones

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:

> That's what you get for calling them "biscuits". If you called them
> "scones" like the South Africans, you'd be able to put raisins,
> blackberries, blackcurrants, cranberries, or even spinach in them.
>
> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-321958.html
> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-455702.html

http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...et-692552.html

http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-383889.html

http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-443243.html
> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-358545.html

Oooh, I've never tried putting spinach in them! I must try that...

--
Chris

R H Draney 24-08-2011 08:25 PM

the sweetness of scones

CT filted:

>Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
>
>> That's what you get for calling them "biscuits". If you called them
>> "scones" like the South Africans, you'd be able to put raisins,
>> blackberries, blackcurrants, cranberries, or even spinach in them.

>Oooh, I've never tried putting spinach in them! I must try that...

The stomach boggles....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

Robert Bannister[_2_] 25-08-2011 03:51 AM

the sweetness of scones

On 24/08/11 7:16 PM, CT wrote:
> Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
>
>> That's what you get for calling them "biscuits". If you called them
>> "scones" like the South Africans, you'd be able to put raisins,
>> blackberries, blackcurrants, cranberries, or even spinach in them.
>>
>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-321958.html
>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-455702.html
>>

> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...et-692552.html
>>

> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-383889.html
>>

> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-443243.html
>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-358545.html

> Oooh, I've never tried putting spinach in them! I must try that...

Add a bit of cheese too.

--
Robert Bannister

Jared 25-08-2011 06:08 AM

the sweetness of scones

On 8/24/2011 6:38 AM, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
>> Some are very slightly sweet, but otherwise they are extremely
>> bland, even by American food standards.

> That's what you get for calling them "biscuits". If you called them
> "scones" like the South Africans, you'd be able to put raisins,
> blackberries, blackcurrants, cranberries, or even spinach in them.
>
> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-321958.html
> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-455702.html
> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...et-692552.html
>
> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-383889.html
> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-443243.html
> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-358545.html

I'm in the U.S., and King Arthur Flour produces a line of scone mixes
here with all sorts of things in them that are pretty good, for scones.

Orange - cranberry for instance.

--
Jared

CT[_2_] 25-08-2011 08:43 AM

the sweetness of scones

Robert Bannister wrote:
> On 24/08/11 7:16 PM, CT wrote:

[of scones]

> > Oooh, I've never tried putting spinach in them! I must try that...
> >

> Add a bit of cheese too.

Hell, yeah! Now we're talkin' :o)

--
Chris

Richard Bollard 26-08-2011 06:51 AM

the sweetness of scones

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 10:51:56 +0800, Robert Bannister
> wrote:

>On 24/08/11 7:16 PM, CT wrote:
>> Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
>>
>>> That's what you get for calling them "biscuits". If you called them
>>> "scones" like the South Africans, you'd be able to put raisins,
>>> blackberries, blackcurrants, cranberries, or even spinach in them.
>>>
>>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-321958.html
>>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-455702.html
>>>

>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...et-692552.html
>>>

>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-383889.html
>>>

>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-443243.html
>>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-358545.html

>> Oooh, I've never tried putting spinach in them! I must try that...
>>

>Add a bit of cheese too.

Fetta cheese goes well.
--
Richard Bollard
Canberra Australia

To email, I'm at AMT not spAMT.

John Holmes 26-08-2011 11:32 AM

the sweetness of scones

Richard Bollard wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 10:51:56 +0800, Robert Bannister
> > wrote:

>>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...et-692552.html
>>>>
>>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-383889.html
>>>>
>>> http://stockfood.co.za./image-pictur...es-443243.html
>>>
>>> Oooh, I've never tried putting spinach in them! I must try that...
>>>

>> Add a bit of cheese too.

> Fetta cheese goes well.

Yes, or pumpkin and sundried tomato.

--
Regards
John

Duggy 26-08-2011 11:32 AM

the sweetness of scones

Sounds like an arthouse film.

===
= DUG.
===

Leslie Danks 26-08-2011 11:47 AM

the sweetness of scones

John Holmes wrote:

> Richard Bollard wrote:
>> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 10:51:56 +0800, Robert Bannister
>> > wrote:

at-a-Farmer%27s-Market-692552.html

Scones-383889.html

scones-443243.html

>>> Add a bit of cheese too.

>> Fetta cheese goes well.

> Yes, or pumpkin and sundried tomato.

Is sundried tomato a sub-set of all tomato?

--
Les
(BrE)

sf[_9_] 26-08-2011 11:37 PM

the sweetness of scones

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 20:32:10 +1000, "John Holmes" >
wrote:

> Yes, or pumpkin and sundried tomato.

Would you please post a picture of what you call a pumpkin? Ours are
very watery and I wouldn't use it without a lot of fiddling first.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Robert Bannister[_2_] 27-08-2011 12:39 AM

the sweetness of scones

On 26/08/11 6:47 PM, Leslie Danks wrote:
> John Holmes wrote:
>
>> Richard Bollard wrote:
>>> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 10:51:56 +0800, Robert Bannister

> at-a-Farmer%27s-Market-692552.html

> Scones-383889.html

> scones-443243.html

>>> Fetta cheese goes well.

>> Yes, or pumpkin and sundried tomato.
>>

> Is sundried tomato a sub-set of all tomato?

You take all and sundry and subtract the tomato.

--
Robert Bannister

doreanjonson 08-09-2011 06:43 PM

if you run out of bread, meals at school, my mother cooked "Bread Scone" that we could use instead. It was not sweet and used Scone dough buns same standard but instead had loafed bunned.