Member

Default The Quest for the Healthiest Chocolate Chip Cookie

I have been on a quest to try and make the healthiest possible chocolate chip cookie because... well, because I love home baked chocolate chip cookies and it would be great if there was a way to make them so they were less of an offending opposition to my goal to lose a few pounds. Ridiculous quest? Perhaps. If you want to bake COOKIES you're clearly not thinking HEALTHY (you're thinking TASTY) but there is still the idea of the lesser of two evils (just an expression... cookies aren't evil).

Alright so I've been experimenting swapping out certain ingredients in cookie recipes and I am getting close. The first attempt was a disaster and produced perhaps the WORSTE cookies ever made by man. Cardboard/styrofoam with no flavor. I almost gave up but then I realized I didn't use enough of a very important ingredient... the butter. You have to use so much of it!!!!! Oh well. That's the reality. So, I tried again with the right amount of everything according to a recipe I read on the back of a Splenda Brown Sugar bag... came out pretty good! Here's what I intended to use:

1 Cup of Whole Wheat Flour (instead of all purpose flour)
1 egg
half a table spoon each of Baking Powder and Baking Soda (can anyone tell me what these things do exactly?)
half a teaspoon of vanilla extract
half a cup of Splenda Brown Sugar
half a cup of Smart Balance butter (healthier than regular butter... or I would have used "I can't believe it's not butter"... except the name is too long for my tastes - jk)
Sugar Free chocolate (need to find sugar free chocolate CHIPS).
Sliced Almonds (I LOVE nuts in cookies but I'm nuts)

I ended up ALMOST doing it with the above but I chickened out on the flour and did half whole wheat and half all purpose... and I used regular chocolate chips. But it came out really good! So the next time I do it I will try the above.

What do you think? Any thoughts on this? Anything in this list that looks like a bad idea for any reason? Any BETTER ideas for making the healthiest GREAT TASTING cookie?

I'll post a picture of it on my Facebook page when I do it with the above ingredients: Infinite Cookbook | Facebook

Here's a previous attempt with less healthy involved: Infinite Cookbooks Fotos - Dave's Creative Cuisine | Facebook (even slightly burnt but... I like them slightly burnt actually).
Posted to rec.food.baking

I'm a newbie to this group, but cookies, and healthier cookies are a
huge quest of mine as well. I've always loved cookies. They are, in
my opinion, the perfect snack and treat. Anyway, I best not get
started on my love of cookies too much, it would take far too long to
go into it. Baking Powder and Baking Soda are leaveners. When they
are mixed with liquids (and sometimes heat) they bubble and fizz,
therefore "raising" whatever they're used in. I use whole wheat in
everything anymore. I've used 1/2 to 1/3 in most drop cookies. The
thing I can say about using it, is that whole wheat usually takes up
more liquid. So you have to watch the consistency of your dough when
experimenting. For the Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe I use, the
cookies come out best when the final dough is slightly crumbly, but
not dry. Then when you bake them, bake just until very lightly
browned and slightly under-done in the center; then let them sit on
the cookie sheet for a few minutes before removing to a rack to cool.
This will give you a soft chewy cookie. For thin crisp cookies, use a
wetter dough. Anyway, just a couple of thoughts
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteCook View Post
...I ended up ALMOST doing it with the above but I chickened out on the flour and did half whole wheat and half all purpose... and I used regular chocolate chips. But it came out really good! So the next time I do it I will try the above.

What do you think? Any thoughts on this? Anything in this list that looks like a bad idea for any reason? Any BETTER ideas for making the healthiest GREAT TASTING cookie?

I'll post a picture of it on my Facebook page when I do it with the above ingredients....
May I ask, where did you get the recipe above? I just thought it's originally yours but you said you didn't use everything that is written above, correct? I love the way it uses brown sugar. Most people say that brown sugar is healthier than white. I'm not sure how it be came healthier compare to the other.

Best Chocolate Chip Cookie - Ever invitetheparty General Cooking 15 08-07-2007 01:54 AM
Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Jason Cheal Recipes (moderated) 0 09-06-2007 04:59 AM
Chocolate Chip Cookie donbenn Baking 2 09-04-2006 07:02 PM
Chocolate Chip Cookie donbenn Recipes 2 09-04-2006 04:23 PM
A different kind of chocolate chip cookie Nexis General Cooking 4 19-03-2006 06:46 AM