trudiefrur

Default Pumpkin side dishes

Any clever ways of serving canned pumpkin? It is such a nutrient dense
low calorie veg and I like to eat it several times per week. I just
looked it up on the USDA website and it contains all the amino acids
plus so many vitamins, good fiber (2.7 Gm per 1/2 cup) for very few
calories. Tonight I served it with salt, pepper, equal sweetner and
cut up raw apple for texture. I've mixed it with a baked sweet potato
and also with carrots and also frozen squash. The flavor is rather
bland so I'm looking for tasty ideas.
Chef Riggy

Here's one I did at work that rocked:

The pumpkin filling isn't so much a recipe as it is a season to taste thing,
so here goes for that:

1 No.10 can pumpkin (ingredients: pumpkin)
Salt, kosher, to taste (about 1/4 c)
2 lb brown sugar
about 1/4 c molassas
about 1/8 to 1/4 c Quatre Épices
about 2 T cinnamon, ground
about 2 t ground mace
1 lb butter, softened
about 1/2 t ground cloves
about 1-2 t ground white pepper
maybe 1 c granulated sugar
and anything else you can think of to make it taste good. The recipe varies
every time, and I usually taste it against the previous batch to make sure
they taste similar.

Okay, so here goes for the biscuit recipe!

5 lb AP Flour
3.5 oz kosher salt
5 oz brown sugar
5 oz baking powder
1 lb 12 oz butter
2 lb punpkin filling (description above)
1 lb 10 oz buttermilk

MIXING: Biscuit Method

MAKEUP: Either drop or cut.

BAKING: 350°F convection for 17 minutes, fan on low, for 2.5" dia. x 1"
thick rolled and cut biscuits filling a full-sheet pan.

Sorry, not rescaling anything today. 'Puter problems w/ modem. This should
give you an idea though. I just made it up thinking that I could use pumpkin
filling as part of the liquid in a standard biscuit recipe, and I was right.

Also, try doing a pumpkin and butternut squash soup.

om...