Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

Default Boxed Cake Mix Better Than From Scratch ???

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
m...

> On 13/03/2011 4:05 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> As a market researcher of 35 years' experience, I say hooey to the
>> broad conclusions.
>>
>> The major flaw is that most folks were raised on mix cakes - doctored
>> or otherwise - and that sort of taste and texture is what gets
>> established as the gold standard in the mind of these beholders. Same
>> reason that McD's usually wins in French fry contests.

> My mother usually made cakes from scratch, except for chocolate. She
> figured that she would have had to pay extra for chocolate to flavour the
> cake, so chocolate cake mixes were a bargain.

One of the best ones though I ever had was 1 I actually made from scratch
for a birthday.
Both the cake & frosting were made following some Hershey cocoa recipes.
Does that make it a cocoa cake, chocolate, or what? Recipe said chocolate.
It was rich, dense, moist. I'm not sure about the cost but taste.... yum.
Every year now I give him the choice of the chocolate one or cheesecake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

"nobody but us chickens" > wrote
> One of the best ones though I ever had was 1 I actually made from scratch
> for a birthday.
> Both the cake & frosting were made following some Hershey cocoa recipes.
> Does that make it a cocoa cake, chocolate, or what? Recipe said chocolate.
> It was rich, dense, moist. I'm not sure about the cost but taste.... yum.
> Every year now I give him the choice of the chocolate one or cheesecake.

My wife makes that one too. Very good with a nice chocolate taste. She
makes a butter cream icing for it.

Since there are two of us, it is a bit much to eat while fresh so I take
some to work where it is well received.

Deep, Dark Chocolate Cake

INGREDIENTS:
1 3/4 cup flour
2 cup sugar

3/4 cup Hershey's Cocoa

1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.

Add remaining ingredients except boiling water; beat at medium speed for
two minutes.

Remove from mixer. Stir in boiling water. (batter will be thin)

Pour into two greased and floured 9" or three 8" layer pans, or one 13 x
9.

Bake at 350° for 30 to 35; minutes for layers, 35 to 40 min for 13 x 9.

Cool 10 minutes on rack, remove from pans.

SOURCE: Hershey Advertisment

A moist rich chocolate cake for all chocolate lovers

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

"Ed Pawlowski" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Deep, Dark Chocolate Cake
>
> INGREDIENTS:
> 1 3/4 cup flour
> 2 cup sugar
>
> 3/4 cup Hershey's Cocoa
>
> 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
> 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
> 1 tsp salt
>

> 2 eggs
> 1 cup milk
> 1/2 cup vegetable oil
> 2 tsp vanilla extract
> 1 cup boiling water

Now you've done it. Now I'm jonesing for that cake and I'm on a low carb
diet. Devil!