Ladie Baker

Default How do I get to this group on a computor?

I am going from webtv to computor and cannot figure out how to find the
discuss groups on the comp.
Can someone help me
Thanks

Vox Humana

"Ladie Baker" > wrote in message
> I am going from webtv to computor and cannot figure out how to find the
> discuss groups on the comp.
> Can someone help me
> Thanks

There are three ways to access Usenet newsgroups using a computer. If you
have access to the Internet, you can read and post to Usenet via Google
Groups at:
http://www.google.com/grphp

Many Internet Service Providers (ISPs) maintain a news server. You will
need to contact the ISP for the address of the server. You will then need a
news reader like Outlook Express or Free Agent. When you configure the news
reader you will have to enter the news server address (that's why you need
to get the information from the ISP). Once your news reader is configured,
you will be able to read and post to any groups offered by the news server.

Some ISPs like AOL have a proprietary news reader. If that is the case then
you will have to address the specifics with the ISP.

What ISP are you using? What is your operating system (Windows or Mac)?

Ladie Baker

I have windows 98 and ISP is MSN

Vox Humana

"Ladie Baker" > wrote in message
> I have windows 98 and ISP is MSN

According to a CNET article, MSN has dropped Usenet newsgroups from its
servers. http://news.com.com/2100-1023-237194.html?legacy=cnet

That means that you would have to either read and post to this (and other)
newsgroup(s) at Google Groups or you would have to buy a subscription to a
news server like New Guy https://reg.pathlink.com/cgi-bin/sub_form or
Supernews http://www.supernews.com/

Google is free but sort of slow and awkward and doesn't have any binary
posts. Speed, user interface, and binary access might not be important and
Google Groups is probably better than WebTV.

Vox Humana

"K. Reece" > wrote in message

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Ladie Baker" > wrote in message
> > > I have windows 98 and ISP is MSN
> > >

> > According to a CNET article, MSN has dropped Usenet newsgroups from its
> > servers. http://news.com.com/2100-1023-237194.html?legacy=cnet
> >
> > That means that you would have to either read and post to this (and

other)
> > newsgroup(s) at Google Groups or you would have to buy a subscription to

> > news server like New Guy https://reg.pathlink.com/cgi-bin/sub_form or
> > Supernews http://www.supernews.com/
> >
> > Google is free but sort of slow and awkward and doesn't have any binary
> > posts. Speed, user interface, and binary access might not be important

> and
> > Google Groups is probably better than WebTV.
> >

> She could also subscribe to newsgroups thru the free German server. I

know
> they've recently changed their URL but you might try news.CIS.DFN.DE
>
> Unless you've used both Google groups and Webtv you have no way of knowing
> which one is better.

Well Kathy, if you read my message you would have noticed that I said
"probably better." That is a clue that I am speculating.

K. Reece

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Ladie Baker" > wrote in message
> > I have windows 98 and ISP is MSN
> >

> According to a CNET article, MSN has dropped Usenet newsgroups from its
> servers. http://news.com.com/2100-1023-237194.html?legacy=cnet
>
> That means that you would have to either read and post to this (and other)
> newsgroup(s) at Google Groups or you would have to buy a subscription to a
> news server like New Guy https://reg.pathlink.com/cgi-bin/sub_form or
> Supernews http://www.supernews.com/
>
> Google is free but sort of slow and awkward and doesn't have any binary
> posts. Speed, user interface, and binary access might not be important

and
> Google Groups is probably better than WebTV.

She could also subscribe to newsgroups thru the free German server. I know
they've recently changed their URL but you might try news.CIS.DFN.DE

Unless you've used both Google groups and Webtv you have no way of knowing
which one is better.

Kathy

K. Reece

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "K. Reece" > wrote in message

> > > According to a CNET article, MSN has dropped Usenet newsgroups from

its
> > > servers. http://news.com.com/2100-1023-237194.html?legacy=cnet
> > >
> > > That means that you would have to either read and post to this (and

> other)
> > > newsgroup(s) at Google Groups or you would have to buy a subscription

> > > news server like New Guy https://reg.pathlink.com/cgi-bin/sub_form

or
> > > Supernews http://www.supernews.com/
> > >
> > > Google is free but sort of slow and awkward and doesn't have any

binary
> > > posts. Speed, user interface, and binary access might not be

important
> > and
> > > Google Groups is probably better than WebTV.
> > >

> > She could also subscribe to newsgroups thru the free German server. I

> know
> > they've recently changed their URL but you might try news.CIS.DFN.DE
> >
> > Unless you've used both Google groups and Webtv you have no way of

knowing
> > which one is better.
> >

> Well Kathy, if you read my message you would have noticed that I said
> "probably better." That is a clue that I am speculating.

That's exactly what I mean, you don't know, you're just speculating and when
you do that there's a high probability of being wrong. In this case you
are, webtv isn't slow and awkward and it does have binary groups. If I was
forced to choose only between google groups and webtv I'd go back to the
webtv.

Kathy

Vox Humana

"K. Reece" > wrote in message

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> its

> > other)

subscription

> or

> binary

> important
> > > and
> > > >

> > > She could also subscribe to newsgroups thru the free German server. I

> > know
> > > they've recently changed their URL but you might try news.CIS.DFN.DE
> > >
> > > Unless you've used both Google groups and Webtv you have no way of

> knowing
> > > which one is better.
> > >

> > Well Kathy, if you read my message you would have noticed that I said
> > "probably better." That is a clue that I am speculating.
> >

> That's exactly what I mean, you don't know, you're just speculating and

when
> you do that there's a high probability of being wrong. In this case you
> are, webtv isn't slow and awkward and it does have binary groups. If I

was
> forced to choose only between google groups and webtv I'd go back to the
> webtv.

Sorry, I didn't mean to stir-up your complex about WebTV. I see that it
isn't the first time you got all defensive about it. Really, don't take it
personally. I'm sure WebTV is just fabulous. If Time-Warner discontinues
broadband service, I will look into WebTV. Really.

Eric Jorgensen

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:34:44 -0600
"K. Reece" > wrote:

> Everyone was a beginner once.

People keep saying that, but i can't remember being one.

I think it has something to do with doing my own homework before
walking around asking questions that i knew had to be relatively simple
to answer.

- Eric
K. Reece

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
news
> Sorry, I didn't mean to stir-up your complex about WebTV. I see that it
> isn't the first time you got all defensive about it. Really, don't take

it
> personally. I'm sure WebTV is just fabulous. If Time-Warner discontinues
> broadband service, I will look into WebTV. Really.

Try not to be so prejudiced against something you know very little if
anything about. You hurt a lot of people's feelings when you're prejudiced
against them just because they use a webtv. There's no reason for it. I'm
sure you wouldn't be that way to them in person, why be that way to them
behind the keyboard, they're still people with feelings.

Everyone was a beginner once.

Kathy

Vox Humana

"K. Reece" > wrote in message

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> news >
> > Sorry, I didn't mean to stir-up your complex about WebTV. I see that it
> > isn't the first time you got all defensive about it. Really, don't take

> it
> > personally. I'm sure WebTV is just fabulous. If Time-Warner

discontinues
> > broadband service, I will look into WebTV. Really.
> >

> Try not to be so prejudiced against something you know very little if
> anything about. You hurt a lot of people's feelings when you're

prejudiced
> against them just because they use a webtv. There's no reason for it.

I'm
> sure you wouldn't be that way to them in person, why be that way to them
> behind the keyboard, they're still people with feelings.
>
> Everyone was a beginner once.

You have taken this far too personally. I do think you have some sort of
inferiority complex that I accidentally disturbed. The problem isn't that I
was being judgmental, but that you have some inner sense of shame about
using WebTV. If you go back and read my messages objectively you will see
that you are projecting your feeling onto me. Furthermore, just because I
think that a PC is better for posting to Usenet than WebTV, you can not
assume that I am being judgmental of the PEOPLE who might be using either
DEVICE. Again, you have made some assumption about me and assigned motives
that are false, presumably based on YOUR prejudices. For instance, if I
think that Chevrolets are better than Fords, you can not rationally assume
that I think that the people driving Chevrolets are better than the people
who drive Fords. As for your statement about being a beginner, I think you
owe me an apology. I am the only one here who took the time to answer the
OPs question. An off topic question at that. I did so in detail and
without being judgmental. As someone already pointed out, I could have told
her to do a Google search or read the documentation that came with her
Internet account. Before you start pointing fingers, you need to examine
your own flaws. Try not to read things into posts that aren't there, and
take your own advice. Don't start criticizing people from behind your
keyboard without analyzing your motives. Don't project your feeling onto
others. Thin skin is soon damaged on Usenet.

For the group Katie Hansen General Cooking 6 03-12-2008 10:59 AM
Alt Group Intend to Take Over This Group Bakerman Baking 4 25-06-2008 03:50 AM
Hello I am new here this group Rob Spin General Cooking 46 12-03-2008 04:13 PM
New to the group Lew Bryson Beer 2 28-06-2005 06:55 PM
Thanks to the group Dave Winemaking 1 16-02-2004 08:00 PM