Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Default At Rikers, This Cake Is Renowned

Really interesting article about Rikers Island Prison bakery which
turns out 11,500 loaves of whole wheat bread a day.

City Room: At Rikers, This Cake Is Renowned
By By EMILY B. HAGER
Published: August 15, 2010

The carrot cake baked by inmates at Rikers Island is good enough that
seconds are often requested, and correction officers ask for their
fair share

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...rikers-bakery/.
Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

On 8/17/2010 4:26 AM, Lee wrote:

> Really interesting article about Rikers Island Prison bakery which
> turns out 11,500 loaves of whole wheat bread a day.
>
> City Room: At Rikers, This Cake Is Renowned
> By By EMILY B. HAGER
> Published: August 15, 2010
>
> The carrot cake baked by inmates at Rikers Island is good enough that
> seconds are often requested, and correction officers ask for their
> fair share
>
> http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...rikers-bakery/.

Did you notice the photo captions were swapped?
Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

"Lee" > wrote in message

> Really interesting article about Rikers Island Prison bakery ....
>
> The carrot cake baked by inmates at Rikers Island is good enough that
> seconds are often requested, and correction officers ask for their
> fair share
>
> http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...rikers-bakery/.

So for one loaf that's a lb of flour, a lb of sugar, a lb of carrotts, a
lot of eggs, a pint of vegetable oil....

I don't think I will be making that.

Tim W

Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking
gw gw is offline

> http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...rikers-bakery/.

there is a follow-up article with a *corrected* recipe he

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...e-rikers-cake/

in case anyone is interested

gw
Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

On 8/17/2010 4:26 AM, Lee wrote:

> Really interesting article about Rikers Island Prison bakery which
> turns out 11,500 loaves of whole wheat bread a day.
>
> City Room: At Rikers, This Cake Is Renowned
> By By EMILY B. HAGER
> Published: August 15, 2010
>
> The carrot cake baked by inmates at Rikers Island is good enough that
> seconds are often requested, and correction officers ask for their
> fair share
>
> http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...rikers-bakery/.

Way too much soda in the home recipe. Don't use 1/4 cup, use 1
Tbs instead. Even that may be too much. Read all the comments
in the newspaper review before making this recipe.

John Andrews