Posted to rec.food.baking,alt.bread.recipes

Default Pumpkin No-Knead Bread

Just started this off this evening. Looking forward to cooking it
tomorrow. The recipe doesn't say when to add the nuts or rosemary but
I assume it is at stage 2 when it mentions dry ingredients.

http://www.neverhomemaker.com/2009/1...pkin-loaf.html

What you'll need . . .

1/2 cup pumpkin puree (plain, this isn't a sweet or spiced pumpkin
bread)
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon tepid water (or a bit more depending)
1/4 teaspoon dry active yeast
1-1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups bread flour
1 cup wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup raw crushed walnuts
1 generous tablespoon rosemary (I used dried, but am sure fresh would
work wonderfully)

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours and yeast. Then add
in the salt.
Make an impression with your fist inside the dry ingredients and then
plop in the pumpkin puree and water.
Mix together -- this should be relatively easy . . . and if it isn't,
add a bit more tepid water. I ended up using my hands because it was
just easier for me . . . however, keep in mind, the dough will be
very, very, VERY sticky.
Cover the bowl with a piece of oiled plastic wrap and put in a warm
place to rise for anywhere between 12 and 18 hours. (I went to work
after mixing mine . . . and only waited 12 hours, but I've always
heard it's best to wait even longer.)
After that time has passed, generously flour a work surface and use a
spatula to scrape your bubbly dough onto it.
Flour your hands and pat down the loaf into a square shape. Then fold
each of the sides in toward the middle and flip over -- seam-side down
-- and gently shape into a round loaf.
Put some cornmeal down on a baking sheet . . . and transfer the loaf
to it to rise for another 2 hours (again, cover with a towel or oiled
plastic wrap). Make sure to get the cornmeal on there, or you'll find
your loaf sticking to the pan.
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Also place a pie plate on the
bottom rack -- half full of water. I also used a pizza stone to bake
my bread. So if you have one, also place the pizza stone in the oven
as it preheats. (If not, you're fine -- you'll just use the sheet the
dough is currently rising upon.)
With a knife, slice a 1/2 inch deep cut into the top of your loaf.
Place your loaf in the oven (middle rack) to bake by either placing it
on the pizza stone or simply sliding in the baking sheet. You'll want
to bake it for about 25 minutes . . . then check to see how it's
doing . . . then baking for approx. another 25 more -- until the crust
is golden brown. If your crust starts burning, you may wish to cover
it with a piece of tin-foil while you continue baking.

Read mo http://www.neverhomemaker.com/2009/1...#ixzz0dkWpfCPe
Posted to rec.food.baking,alt.bread.recipes

Woah that was a nice bread! The crust was very dark and crunchy
whilst the crumb was moist and crumbly. It did make a big loaf,
bigger than I was expecting. Ate it with a lovely beef stew and it
went down nicely.
Posted to rec.food.baking,alt.bread.recipes

"Serious Sid" > wrote in message
> Just started this off this evening. Looking forward to cooking it
> tomorrow. The recipe doesn't say when to add the nuts or rosemary but
> I assume it is at stage 2 when it mentions dry ingredients.
>
> http://www.neverhomemaker.com/2009/1...pkin-loaf.html
>

> What you'll need . . .
>
> 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (plain, this isn't a sweet or spiced pumpkin
> bread)
> 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon tepid water (or a bit more depending)
> 1/4 teaspoon dry active yeast
> 1-1/4 teaspoon salt
> 2 cups bread flour
> 1 cup wheat pastry flour
> 1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
> 1/2 cup raw crushed walnuts
> 1 generous tablespoon rosemary (I used dried, but am sure fresh would
> work wonderfully)

This sounds lovely. I don't usually have pumpkin seeds hanging around. Not
hard to get though. The tablespoon of dried rosemary scares me a little. I
love rosemary, but it can be rather strong and almost soapy tasting in large
amounts.

How did you think the tablespoon of rosemary balanced out in the finished
product?

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.baking,alt.bread.recipes

On Jan 28, 4:58*pm, "King's Crown" > wrote:
> "Serious Sid" > wrote in message

> > Just started this off this evening. *Looking forward to cooking it
> > tomorrow. *The recipe doesn't say when to add the nuts or rosemary but
> > I assume it is at stage 2 when it mentions dry ingredients.

> >http://www.neverhomemaker.com/2009/1...pkin-loaf.html

> > What you'll need . . .

> > 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (plain, this isn't a sweet or spiced pumpkin
> > bread)
> > 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon tepid water (or a bit more depending)
> > 1/4 teaspoon dry active yeast
> > 1-1/4 teaspoon salt
> > 2 cups bread flour
> > 1 cup wheat pastry flour
> > 1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
> > 1/2 cup raw crushed walnuts
> > 1 generous tablespoon rosemary (I used dried, but am sure fresh would
> > work wonderfully)

> This sounds lovely. *I don't usually have pumpkin seeds hanging around. *Not
> hard to get though. *The tablespoon of dried rosemary scares me a little. *I
> love rosemary, but it can be rather strong and almost soapy tasting in large
> amounts.
>
> How did you think the tablespoon of rosemary balanced out in the finished
> product?
>
> Lynne

Hi

I didn't use the pumpkin seeds and swapped in some crushed mixed nuts
I had. Also I picked some fresh rosemary from my garden instead of
the dried the recipe mentions. It would be needed I think, as it
helps take it away from being just a sweet pumpkin bread and makes it
more an intriguing blend of flavours. That goes for the nuts and the
rosemary.

The last hunk of the bread is being eaten with my lunch today. Can't
wait.

Cheers

Posted to rec.food.baking,alt.bread.recipes

<Hi

I didn't use the pumpkin seeds and swapped in some crushed mixed nuts
I had. Also I picked some fresh rosemary from my garden instead of
the dried the recipe mentions. It would be needed I think, as it
helps take it away from being just a sweet pumpkin bread and makes it
more an intriguing blend of flavours. That goes for the nuts and the
rosemary.

The last hunk of the bread is being eaten with my lunch today. Can't
wait.

Cheers>

Using 1 T of fresh rosemary makes more sense than 1 T of dried. I'm doing
to go harvest some rosemary too.

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.baking,alt.bread.recipes

"King's Crown" > wrote:
>"Serious Sid" > wrote in message
>> Just started this off this evening. Looking forward to cooking it
>> tomorrow. The recipe doesn't say when to add the nuts or rosemary but
>> I assume it is at stage 2 when it mentions dry ingredients.
>>
>> http://www.neverhomemaker.com/2009/1...pkin-loaf.html
>>

>> What you'll need . . .
>>
>> 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (plain, this isn't a sweet or spiced pumpkin
>> bread)
>> 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon tepid water (or a bit more depending)
>> 1/4 teaspoon dry active yeast
>> 1-1/4 teaspoon salt
>> 2 cups bread flour
>> 1 cup wheat pastry flour
>> 1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
>> 1/2 cup raw crushed walnuts
>> 1 generous tablespoon rosemary (I used dried, but am sure fresh would
>> work wonderfully)
>>

>This sounds lovely. I don't usually have pumpkin seeds hanging around. Not
>hard to get though. The tablespoon of dried rosemary scares me a little. I
>love rosemary, but it can be rather strong and almost soapy tasting in large
>amounts.
>
>How did you think the tablespoon of rosemary balanced out in the finished
>product?
>
>Lynne

When I make plain bread, I need 3 level teaspoons of dried yeast powder
for a dough made with 4 cups of flour.
How is it that your pumpkin bread needs only 1/4 teaspoon of yeast for
the same amount of flour?
Is dry active yeast something different from instant dried yeast?

Just curious.
Posted to rec.food.baking,alt.bread.recipes

..Yes, there is not enough yeast and a little sugar with the yeast would help
the rising process as well

>>> What you'll need . . .
>>>
>>> 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (plain, this isn't a sweet or spiced pumpkin
>>> bread)
>>> 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon tepid water (or a bit more depending)
>>> 1/4 teaspoon dry active yeast
>>> 1-1/4 teaspoon salt
>>> 2 cups bread flour
>>> 1 cup wheat pastry flour
>>> 1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
>>> 1/2 cup raw crushed walnuts
>>> 1 generous tablespoon rosemary (I used dried, but am sure fresh would
>>> work wonderfully)
>>>

>>This sounds lovely. I don't usually have pumpkin seeds hanging around.
>>Not
>>hard to get though. The tablespoon of dried rosemary scares me a little.
>>love rosemary, but it can be rather strong and almost soapy tasting in
>>large
>>amounts.
>>
>>How did you think the tablespoon of rosemary balanced out in the finished
>>product?
>>
>>Lynne

> When I make plain bread, I need 3 level teaspoons of dried yeast powder
> for a dough made with 4 cups of flour.
> How is it that your pumpkin bread needs only 1/4 teaspoon of yeast for
> the same amount of flour?
> Is dry active yeast something different from instant dried yeast?
>
> Just curious.
> --
> John Savage (my news address is not valid for email)

To knead or not to knead: the great bread debate Don Martinich General Cooking 2 11-06-2010 08:20 PM
To knead or not to knead: the great bread debate sf[_9_] General Cooking 1 09-06-2010 11:23 PM
Almost No-Knead Bread Rusty[_1_] Recipes (moderated) 0 22-01-2008 04:15 AM
More on No Knead Bread Frank103 Baking 1 08-12-2006 08:47 PM
NYT No-knead bread Jeff Miller Sourdough 1 11-11-2006 02:54 AM