Old 22-01-2010, 04:20 AM posted to rec.food.baking

Default Frosting for a banana nut cake

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
What's your suggestion?
Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.

How about whipped cream? Beat a pint of very cold heavy cream until
it starts to form soft peaks. Add some vanilla and about a cup of
powdered sugar (sifted after measuring) and continue beating for a few
seconds. It will seize up into the nicest light fluffy frosting.

Bob

That'd be yummy, but it won't hold. :-( This cake could be around for
a few days unless I either freeze it or offload some. I like the idea,
though. Food for thought. Thanks, Bob.

It's really good on a sturdy white (or yellow) cake, then a whole
bag of sweetened flaked coconut dumped on top. I haven't found the
perfect 2-egg cake recipe for it yet, but I'm getting close.

Bob

Old 22-01-2010, 11:35 AM posted to rec.food.baking

Default Frosting for a banana nut cake - my next idea

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 20:40:16 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:

In article
,
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

What's your suggestion?
Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.

I was looking at some recipes and ran across one for a browned butter
icing and that sounds really good to me, too!

Dilemma: Too many (IMNSHO) people don't care for coconut, so the
browned butter is tempting, but I've got a bunch of coconut flakes in
the fridgimator that I wouldn't mind getting rid of. Decisions,
decisions.

But speaking of coconut, take a look at http://www.zoebakes.com -- ZoŽ's
got a coconut cake featured that is stunningly gorgeous!

Just to divert the discussion.....

One of the wonderful cakes I recall from the Jewish bakeries in the
neighborhood where I grew up, was banana. These cakes were sold by the
pound from large, but thick sheet cake slabs. They had chocolate
frosting. To die for.

Otherwise, I'd go with lemon butter cream, which would also work well
with your coconut.

Boron
Old 22-01-2010, 03:24 PM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
What's your suggestion?
Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.

1 cup orange juice mixed with 2 cups confectioner's sugar. Pour over
the cake, hot out of the oven, you can poke holes in the cake with
skewers, or not. Do not slice until the cake cools completely.

Dagnabbit, now I'm hungry. lol

Becca
Old 22-01-2010, 05:00 PM posted to rec.food.baking

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller1-9-2010

Cream cheese for sure. I'd use vanilla, not orange for this cake,
though.

N.
Old 22-01-2010, 09:20 PM posted to rec.food.baking

wrote:

Otherwise, I'd go with lemon butter cream, which would also work well
with your coconut.

Boron

Hmmm. I have a lemon in house. . . .

Old 23-01-2010, 02:55 PM posted to rec.food.baking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:24:33 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:

What's your suggestion?
Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.

Okay, some are gonna holler at me but this stuff makes banana cake
reminiscent of the old "Banana Flip" snack cake I loved as a kid.

From The Junk Food Cookbook, Jove Publications,

Twinkies Filling

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
1 small can (5.3 oz) evaporated milk
2 tsp vanilla

Beat sugar, shortening, and butter together until creamy. Slowly beat
in milk and vanilla and continue beating until light and fluffy, at
least 15 minutes.

Terry
Old 23-01-2010, 10:48 PM posted to rec.food.baking

In article ,
Terry wrote:

Thanks, Terry. I've got an old recipe for a "whipped cream"-like
frosting that involves cooking milk and flour together then beating it
into a creamed-together shortening and sugar mixture. Haven't made that
one in probably 30 years or so. Mmmmm, grease!!