Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Default Frosting for a banana nut cake

What's your suggestion?
Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.baking
Banned

On Jan 21, 3:24*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> What's your suggestion? *
> Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
> Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller1-9-2010

cream cheese, definitely.....!
Posted to rec.food.baking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> What's your suggestion?
> Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..

Have you considered a butter cream?

An almond or pistachio paste can be very nice with the banana nut cake,
various fruit sauces and thickened creams? You might even consider a
sabayon or other egg custard to serve with (not necessarily as a
frosting) the cake.

--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3
Owner|Moderator
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JoeTarot

Posted to rec.food.baking
Sky Sky is offline

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> What's your suggestion?
> Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
> Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.

?There is something else besides cream cheese to use as a frosting, or
part of a frosting, for banana nut????? I can't think of anything
else and would like to learn other suggestions, too! Wouldn't any
frosting used on a carrot cake work just as well? Thing is, I think I'd
prefer a cream cheese frosting for both <G>! Although, now that I think
about it, isn't strawberry and banana a popular flavor combination? Or,
what about peanut butter??? Oh dear, now there's a thought, eh? <G>

Sky

P.S. Bananas & PB --- has Elvis left the house??? <VBG>

hmmmmmm, PB & cream cheese, atop a banana nut cake .... ????

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:24:33 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>What's your suggestion?
>Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
>Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.

The cream cheese with orange sounds just right. I like a cream
cheese icing with banana bread. The orange and banana will taste
great together.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.baking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> What's your suggestion?
> Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
> Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.

I'd go with cream cheese, with perhaps some pecans (halves or chopped)
scattered about.
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.baking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > What's your suggestion?

> ?There is something else besides cream cheese to use as a frosting, or
> part of a frosting, for banana nut?????
> Sky
>
> P.S. Bananas & PB --- has Elvis left the house??? <VBG>

How about some coconut on top of plain cream cheese icing? PB doesn't
do it for me; thanks, though.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.baking

In article >,
"Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > What's your suggestion?
> > Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..

> Have you considered a butter cream?
>
> An almond or pistachio paste can be very nice with the banana nut cake,
> various fruit sauces and thickened creams? You might even consider a
> sabayon or other egg custard to serve with (not necessarily as a
> frosting) the cake.

I did think about a buttercream but am still leaning to my abundant
stash of cream cheese. :-) The rest of it is more complicated than
I'm interesting in making. Thank you for the suggestions, though.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.baking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> What's your suggestion?
> Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
> Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010

sounds good to me....

Posted to rec.food.baking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> What's your suggestion?
> Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
> Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.

How about whipped cream? Beat a pint of very cold heavy cream until
it starts to form soft peaks. Add some vanilla and about a cup of
powdered sugar (sifted after measuring) and continue beating for a few
seconds. It will seize up into the nicest light fluffy frosting.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.baking
Sky Sky is offline

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> Sky > wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > >
> > > What's your suggestion?

> > ?There is something else besides cream cheese to use as a frosting, or
> > part of a frosting, for banana nut?????
> > Sky
> >
> > P.S. Bananas & PB --- has Elvis left the house??? <VBG>

> How about some coconut on top of plain cream cheese icing? PB doesn't
> do it for me; thanks, though.

OOOOH! I never thought of coconut! What a wonderful idea!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:24:33 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>What's your suggestion?
>Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
>Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.

Lemon is always good in cream cheese frosting and always in the fruit
bowl for me.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.baking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > What's your suggestion?
> > Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
> > Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.

> How about whipped cream? Beat a pint of very cold heavy cream until
> it starts to form soft peaks. Add some vanilla and about a cup of
> powdered sugar (sifted after measuring) and continue beating for a few
> seconds. It will seize up into the nicest light fluffy frosting.
>
> Bob

That'd be yummy, but it won't hold. :-( This cake could be around for
a few days unless I either freeze it or offload some. I like the idea,
though. Food for thought. Thanks, Bob.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Frosting for a banana nut cake - my next idea

In article
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> What's your suggestion?
> Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
> Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.

I was looking at some recipes and ran across one for a browned butter
icing and that sounds really good to me, too!

Dilemma: Too many (IMNSHO) people don't care for coconut, so the
browned butter is tempting, but I've got a bunch of coconut flakes in
the fridgimator that I wouldn't mind getting rid of. Decisions,
decisions.

But speaking of coconut, take a look at http://www.zoebakes.com -- Zoë's
got a coconut cake featured that is stunningly gorgeous!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.baking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> What's your suggestion?
>>> Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
>>> Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.

>> How about whipped cream? Beat a pint of very cold heavy cream until
>> it starts to form soft peaks. Add some vanilla and about a cup of
>> powdered sugar (sifted after measuring) and continue beating for a few
>> seconds. It will seize up into the nicest light fluffy frosting.
>>
>> Bob

> That'd be yummy, but it won't hold. :-( This cake could be around for
> a few days unless I either freeze it or offload some. I like the idea,
> though. Food for thought. Thanks, Bob.

It's really good on a sturdy white (or yellow) cake, then a whole
bag of sweetened flaked coconut dumped on top. I haven't found the
perfect 2-egg cake recipe for it yet, but I'm getting close.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 20:40:16 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article
>,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> What's your suggestion?
>> Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
>> Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.

>I was looking at some recipes and ran across one for a browned butter
>icing and that sounds really good to me, too!
>
>Dilemma: Too many (IMNSHO) people don't care for coconut, so the
>browned butter is tempting, but I've got a bunch of coconut flakes in
>the fridgimator that I wouldn't mind getting rid of. Decisions,
>decisions.
>
>But speaking of coconut, take a look at http://www.zoebakes.com -- Zoë's
>got a coconut cake featured that is stunningly gorgeous!

Just to divert the discussion.....

One of the wonderful cakes I recall from the Jewish bakeries in the
neighborhood where I grew up, was banana. These cakes were sold by the
pound from large, but thick sheet cake slabs. They had chocolate
frosting. To die for.

Otherwise, I'd go with lemon butter cream, which would also work well
with your coconut.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> What's your suggestion?
> Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
> Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.

1 cup orange juice mixed with 2 cups confectioner's sugar. Pour over
the cake, hot out of the oven, you can poke holes in the cake with
skewers, or not. Do not slice until the cake cools completely.

Dagnabbit, now I'm hungry. lol

Becca
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Jan 21, 5:24*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> What's your suggestion? *
> Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
> Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller1-9-2010

Cream cheese for sure. I'd use vanilla, not orange for this cake,
though.

N.
Posted to rec.food.baking

In article >,
Boron Elgar > wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 20:40:16 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:

> Otherwise, I'd go with lemon butter cream, which would also work well
> with your coconut.
>
> Boron

Hmmm. I have a lemon in house. . . .

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:24:33 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>What's your suggestion?
>Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
>Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.

Okay, some are gonna holler at me but this stuff makes banana cake
reminiscent of the old "Banana Flip" snack cake I loved as a kid.

From The Junk Food Cookbook, Jove Publications,

Twinkies Filling

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
1 small can (5.3 oz) evaporated milk
2 tsp vanilla

Beat sugar, shortening, and butter together until creamy. Slowly beat
in milk and vanilla and continue beating until light and fluffy, at
least 15 minutes.

Terry
Posted to rec.food.baking

In article >,
Terry > wrote:

Thanks, Terry. I've got an old recipe for a "whipped cream"-like
frosting that involves cooking milk and flour together then beating it
into a creamed-together shortening and sugar mixture. Haven't made that
one in probably 30 years or so. Mmmmm, grease!!