FoodBanter.com

-   -   Just for fun - not a recipe or a request (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/391-just-fun-not-recipe.html)

H Cable 11-02-2004 08:56 PM

Just for fun - not a recipe or a request

Hi All: This is a recording made in 1926 of a dear lady born in 1890
describing to a linguist how she makes bread. The linguist is more
interesting in her accent and dialect than the bread, but for us, it's a
bit of the history of baking from the wood-burning stove days!

Warning - she does have a heavy Northern British accent, but it's worth
listening carefully!

http://www.collectbritain.co.uk/pers...08S47U00004C01

The Old Bear 12-02-2004 05:11 AM

H Cable > writes:

>From: H Cable >
>Newsgroups: rec.food.baking
>Subject: Just for fun - not a recipe or a request
>Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:56:09 GMT
>
>Hi All: This is a recording made in 1926 of a dear lady born in 1890
>describing to a linguist how she makes bread. The linguist is more
>interesting in her accent and dialect than the bread, but for us, it's a
>bit of the history of baking from the wood-burning stove days!
>
>Warning - she does have a heavy Northern British accent, but it's worth
>listening carefully!
>
>http://www.collectbritain.co.uk/pers...21SED00C908S47

U00004C01

Absolutely delightful! Thanks for posting this.

Breadmaking is one of those skills which is difficult to learn by any
other method than working with someone who knows the technique. Text,
pictures, audio (like this), video or even computer simulation is not
the same because so much of breadmaking is tactile. Even so, it's good
to hear someone explain the process verbally because it tells you so
much about what that person thinks is important in the process.

Miss Dibnah was if my grandmother's generation -- although I am sure
she was much more skilled in the kitchen than my grandmother. :)

Regards,
Will
The Old Bear