michelle

Default chocolate cake with melt chocolate inside

A couple weeks a ago I was reading a magnezine and it introuced a
dessert cafe.
There was a picture with a chocolate cake that looks really delicious.
It was like a smalle chocolate cake and there were some chocolate
syrup meling out....

do anyone know wat they are called??
and do anyone have a recipe of that dessert that i can try to make it
at home...^^

thx alot~!!
Michelle
Lyn Holman

Try Delia's receipe at http://www.deliasmith.com/recipes/r_0000001403.asp -
it is lovely!

--
There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation.

Lyn Holman, IT Services, University of Reading, Whiteknights
Reading RG6 6AF phone: +44-(0)118-378-8441 fax: +44-(0)118-975-3094
"Michael H." > wrote in message
30...
> (michelle) wrote in
> m:
>

> > do anyone know wat they are called??
> > and do anyone have a recipe of that dessert that i can try to make it
> > at home...^^

> Could have been a hot fudge cake or a lava cake. Try a search for those
> two.

Lyn Holman

Try Delia's receipe at http://www.deliasmith.com/recipes/r_0000001403.asp -
it is lovely!

--
There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation.

Lyn Holman, IT Services, University of Reading, Whiteknights
Reading RG6 6AF phone: +44-(0)118-378-8441 fax: +44-(0)118-975-3094
"Michael H." > wrote in message
30...
> (michelle) wrote in
> m:
>

> > do anyone know wat they are called??
> > and do anyone have a recipe of that dessert that i can try to make it
> > at home...^^

> Could have been a hot fudge cake or a lava cake. Try a search for those
> two.

Nexis

"michelle" > wrote in message
m...
> A couple weeks a ago I was reading a magnezine and it introuced a
> dessert cafe.
> There was a picture with a chocolate cake that looks really delicious.
> It was like a smalle chocolate cake and there were some chocolate
> syrup meling out....
>
> do anyone know wat they are called??
> and do anyone have a recipe of that dessert that i can try to make it
> at home...^^
>
> thx alot~!!
> Michelle

Sounds like a lava cake. Here is the best recipe I've tried for them. It
sounds labor intensive, but it's not really...and totally worth the effort!!
MOLTEN LAVA CAKE
Chocolate centers:
4 bars (1.5 ounces each) Godiva Dark Chocolate, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 tablespoon orange-flavored liqueur
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon finely grated orange zest

Chocolate cakes:
6 bars (1.5 ounces each) Godiva Dark Chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sifted all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large egg yolks, at room temperature
4 large egg whites, at room temperature

Orange Cream:
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
4 teaspoons orange-flavored liqueur

Garnish:
Confectioners' sugar
Unsweetened cocoa powder
Mint leaves

Make the chocolate centers:

1.. Place chocolate in 1-quart measuring cup with a pouring spout. Heat
cream and corn syrup in saucepan over medium heat until it comes to a gentle
boil. Remove from heat. Pour hot cream over chocolate. Let stand for 30
seconds. Gently whisk until smooth. Stir in orange liqueur, vanilla and
orange zest.

2.. Cover ice cube tray with plastic wrap. Press down plastic to line six
ice cube cavities with plastic. Pour warm chocolate mixture into cavities,
filling to the tops. Cover and refrigerate remaining chocolate mixture for
use as sauce. Cover filled ice cube tray with plastic wrap and freeze for 3
to 4 hours or until solid. Keep frozen until ready to assemble dessert.

Make the chocolate cakes:

1.. Preheat oven to 425*F. Generously butter bottom and sides of six
6-ounce ramekins and place on baking sheet.

2.. Place chocolate, water and coffee in small microwave-safe bowl.
Microwave on medium (50% power) for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave 30 seconds
more or until chocolate is softened. Stir until smooth and let cool.

3.. Stir together flour and salt.

4.. Beat butter in mixing bowl until creamy, using electric mixer at
medium speed. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
Beat in vanilla. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each
addition. Add cooled chocolate mixture and beat until smooth.

5.. Beat egg whites in mixing bowl until frothy, using electric mixer at
low speed. Increase speed to high and beat until soft peaks form. Add
remaining sugar, 1 teaspoon at a time, beating until stiff shiny peaks form.

6.. Fold one-third of egg whites and one-third of flour mixture into
chocolate batter. One-third at a time, gently fold in remaining egg whites
and flour mixture. Spoon half of batter into ramekins, filling more than
half full. Place a frozen chocolate cube in center of each. Spoon remaining
batter in ramekins, covering chocolate cubes completely.

7.. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until batter has risen about 1/2 inch
above rims of ramekins and tops are slightly cracked. While cakes are
baking, prepare the orange cream.

Prepare the orange cream and assemble dessert:

1.. Beat heavy cream, sugar, orange zest and orange liqueur in bowl until
it starts to thicken, but is still pourable, using electric mixer at medium
speed. Do not overbeat.

2.. Gently heat reserved chocolate mixture over a saucepan of hot, not
simmering water. Keep sauce warm.

3.. Invert warm cake onto center of each dessert plate. Lightly dust with
confectioners' sugar. Spoon some orange cream around base of cake. Lightly
sprinkle with cocoa powder. Garnish with mint. Serve immediately and pass
warm chocolate sauce.

Kimberly

Nexis

"michelle" > wrote in message
m...
> [...]

half full. Place a frozen chocolate cube in center of each. Spoon remaining
batter in ramekins, covering chocolate cubes completely.

7.. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until batter has risen about 1/2 inch
above rims of ramekins and tops are slightly cracked. While cakes are
baking, prepare the orange cream.

Prepare the orange cream and assemble dessert:

1.. Beat heavy cream, sugar, orange zest and orange liqueur in bowl until
it starts to thicken, but is still pourable, using electric mixer at medium
speed. Do not overbeat.

2.. Gently heat reserved chocolate mixture over a saucepan of hot, not
simmering water. Keep sauce warm.

3.. Invert warm cake onto center of each dessert plate. Lightly dust with
confectioners' sugar. Spoon some orange cream around base of cake. Lightly
sprinkle with cocoa powder. Garnish with mint. Serve immediately and pass

Alex Rast

at Mon, 18 Oct 2004 07:19:05 GMT in
(michelle) wrote :

>A couple weeks a ago I was reading a magnezine and it introuced a
>dessert cafe.
>There was a picture with a chocolate cake that looks really delicious.
>It was like a smalle chocolate cake and there were some chocolate
>syrup meling out....
>
>do anyone know wat they are called??
>and do anyone have a recipe of that dessert that i can try to make it
>at home...^^

These go by a variety of names including Fallen Chocolate Cake, Molten
Chocolate Cake, Warm Chocolate Cake, and a thousand other names. A few
years ago they started to become extremely trendy. These days in cookbooks
there are recipes galore. An additional plus is that in relative terms,
they're simple to make. The one logistical issue is that you need to make
them rather at the last minute, creating an awkward pause at dinner if
you're hosting a party. What you want, therefore, is to have a fairly rich,
heavy main course that people want to sit on and digest for a while. In
that situation the pause is appropriate.

Here's my recipe.

8 oz. bittersweet chocolate (* see note)
8 tbsp butter
4 eggs (I use extra-large. Large is fine - a little denser result)
1/2 cup light-brown sugar
2 tbsp flour
1 vanilla bean
1/4 tsp salt

Butter + cocoa for greasing ramekins

Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease 4 large (10 - oz) ramekins and dust each
well with cocoa. Melt the butter and chocolate together over a double-
boiler and remove from heat. Split the vanilla bean and scrape the contents
into the sugar, stir well with a fork until the vanilla is uniformly
distributed through the sugar. Beat the eggs, sugar mix, and salt until
very pale and the mixture drops from the beaters in a thick, smooth ribbon.
Sift the flour over the chocolate mixture and pour the egg mix on top
before folding everything together into a smooth, uniform batter. Scrape
the batter into the ramekins and bake until the chocolatey smell from the
oven approaches overwhelming, the cake has a thin, brown crust on top, and
the center wobble slightly if shaken (usually about 15 minutes). Remove
from oven, invert onto well-dished plates, and serve immediately.

*Note : it's crucial that you use a good bittersweet chocolate. Under *no*
circumstances whatsoever use Baker's chocolate! The best bittersweets in
this application are ones that have a dark, pungent fruitiness to them,
like Michel Cluizel Los Ancones (perhaps the best), Valrhona Guanaja
(intense, and complex like a fine red wine), Domori Blend No 1 (super-
strong, lots of impact), or Domori Madagascar (spicy and ultrapungent).
If you don't feel like splurging that much, Ghirardelli Bittersweet will
also work fine.

--
Alex Rast

Alex Rast

(michelle) wrote :

>A couple weeks a ago I was reading a magnezine and it introuced a
>dessert cafe.
>There was a picture with a chocolate cake that looks really delicious.
>It was like a smalle chocolate cake and there were some chocolate
>syrup meling out....
>
>do anyone know wat they are called??
>and do anyone have a recipe of that dessert that i can try to make it
>at home...^^

These go by a variety of names including Fallen Chocolate Cake, Molten
Chocolate Cake, Warm Chocolate Cake, and a thousand other names. A few
years ago they started to become extremely trendy. These days in cookbooks
there are recipes galore. An additional plus is that in relative terms,
they're simple to make. The one logistical issue is that you need to make
them rather at the last minute, creating an awkward pause at dinner if
you're hosting a party. What you want, therefore, is to have a fairly rich,
heavy main course that people want to sit on and digest for a while. In
that situation the pause is appropriate.

Here's my recipe.

8 oz. bittersweet chocolate (* see note)
8 tbsp butter
4 eggs (I use extra-large. Large is fine - a little denser result)
1/2 cup light-brown sugar
2 tbsp flour
1 vanilla bean
1/4 tsp salt

Butter + cocoa for greasing ramekins

Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease 4 large (10 - oz) ramekins and dust each
well with cocoa. Melt the butter and chocolate together over a double-
boiler and remove from heat. Split the vanilla bean and scrape the contents
into the sugar, stir well with a fork until the vanilla is uniformly
distributed through the sugar. Beat the eggs, sugar mix, and salt until
very pale and the mixture drops from the beaters in a thick, smooth ribbon.
Sift the flour over the chocolate mixture and pour the egg mix on top
before folding everything together into a smooth, uniform batter. Scrape
the batter into the ramekins and bake until the chocolatey smell from the
oven approaches overwhelming, the cake has a thin, brown crust on top, and
the center wobble slightly if shaken (usually about 15 minutes). Remove
from oven, invert onto well-dished plates, and serve immediately.

*Note : it's crucial that you use a good bittersweet chocolate. Under *no*
circumstances whatsoever use Baker's chocolate! The best bittersweets in
this application are ones that have a dark, pungent fruitiness to them,
like Michel Cluizel Los Ancones (perhaps the best), Valrhona Guanaja
(intense, and complex like a fine red wine), Domori Blend No 1 (super-
strong, lots of impact), or Domori Madagascar (spicy and ultrapungent).
If you don't feel like splurging that much, Ghirardelli Bittersweet will
also work fine.

--
Alex Rast

Alex Rast

(michelle) wrote :

>A couple weeks a ago I was reading a magnezine and it introuced a
>dessert cafe.
>There was a picture with a chocolate cake that looks really delicious.
>It was like a smalle chocolate cake and there were some chocolate
>syrup meling out....
>
>do anyone know wat they are called??
>and do anyone have a recipe of that dessert that i can try to make it
>at home...^^

These go by a variety of names including Fallen Chocolate Cake, Molten
Chocolate Cake, Warm Chocolate Cake, and a thousand other names. A few
years ago they started to become extremely trendy. These days in cookbooks
there are recipes galore. An additional plus is that in relative terms,
they're simple to make. The one logistical issue is that you need to make
them rather at the last minute, creating an awkward pause at dinner if
you're hosting a party. What you want, therefore, is to have a fairly rich,
heavy main course that people want to sit on and digest for a while. In
that situation the pause is appropriate.

Here's my recipe.

8 oz. bittersweet chocolate (* see note)
8 tbsp butter
4 eggs (I use extra-large. Large is fine - a little denser result)
1/2 cup light-brown sugar
2 tbsp flour
1 vanilla bean
1/4 tsp salt

Butter + cocoa for greasing ramekins

Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease 4 large (10 - oz) ramekins and dust each
well with cocoa. Melt the butter and chocolate together over a double-
boiler and remove from heat. Split the vanilla bean and scrape the contents
into the sugar, stir well with a fork until the vanilla is uniformly
distributed through the sugar. Beat the eggs, sugar mix, and salt until
very pale and the mixture drops from the beaters in a thick, smooth ribbon.
Sift the flour over the chocolate mixture and pour the egg mix on top
before folding everything together into a smooth, uniform batter. Scrape
the batter into the ramekins and bake until the chocolatey smell from the
oven approaches overwhelming, the cake has a thin, brown crust on top, and
the center wobble slightly if shaken (usually about 15 minutes). Remove
from oven, invert onto well-dished plates, and serve immediately.

*Note : it's crucial that you use a good bittersweet chocolate. Under *no*
circumstances whatsoever use Baker's chocolate! The best bittersweets in
this application are ones that have a dark, pungent fruitiness to them,
like Michel Cluizel Los Ancones (perhaps the best), Valrhona Guanaja
(intense, and complex like a fine red wine), Domori Blend No 1 (super-
strong, lots of impact), or Domori Madagascar (spicy and ultrapungent).
If you don't feel like splurging that much, Ghirardelli Bittersweet will
also work fine.

--
Alex Rast

Cynthia Mason

Sounds like that fabulous old Tunnel of Fudge cake. google it!!

REC: Inside Out German Chocolate Cake Terry Pulliam Burd[_3_] General Cooking 3 09-08-2008 02:43 AM
What chocolate to melt? JimL Baking 13 19-04-2007 02:42 PM
Chocolate Heart Layer Cake with Chocolate Cinnamon Mousse Duckie ® Recipes 0 01-05-2004 11:25 PM
how to melt chocolate wif microwave Alan Baking 7 30-11-2003 11:39 AM