m e cheshier

Default scones

Hi... Years ago I learned how to make scones from and english for
making the best scones anyone has ever had. It would be hard to get a
fat free scone, the secret to making a good scone is in the mixing..
you use cold butter and stir gently into the flour and don't mix for
to long.. what makes a scone flaky is the small chunks of butter that
did not get overly stirred in.Using a fat free milk instead of
cream/half and half should not make to much of a difference except for
the richness in flavor.
qahtan

You said,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,of course this is not the same as a traditional
butter-laden English breakfast scone. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Excuse me, English recipes for scones should NOT be butter/fat laden,
they become butter laden when you eat them with strawberry jam and cream.
;-))
There are so many variations on scones, I make tiny ones with black olives,
and cheese etc, still better with that extra butter on the top.

"The Old Bear" > wrote in message
news
> (m e cheshier) writes:
>
>>From:
(m e cheshier)
>>Newsgroups: rec.food.baking
>>Subject: scones
>>Date: 11 Oct 2004 18:08:45 -0700
>>
>>Hi... Years ago I learned how to make scones from and english for
>>making the best scones anyone has ever had. It would be hard to get a
>>fat free scone, the secret to making a good scone is in the mixing..
>>you use cold butter and stir gently into the flour and don't mix for
>>to long.. what makes a scone flaky is the small chunks of butter that
>>did not get overly stirred in.Using a fat free milk instead of
>>cream/half and half should not make to much of a difference except for
>>the richness in flavor.

> If the objective is to reduce fat, here is a recipe which I really
> like and have posted here in the past.
>
> Blue Ribbon Yogurt Scones
> ---------------------------
>
> 2 1/2 cups flour
> 1/3 cup sugar
> 3 Tbsp cornstarch
> 1 Tbsp baking powder
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 1/2 tsp nutmeg
>
> 1 egg
> 1 cup plain or vanilla nonfat yogurt
> 1/4 cup vegetable oil
> 1 tsp vanilla
> 1 cup chopped figs, chopped apricots, or raisins
>
> Heat oven to 400 deg F.
>
> In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cornstarch, baking
> powder, salt and nutmeg. Mix dry ingredients well.
>
> In another bowl, beat egg. Combine yogurt, oil, vanilla
> and egg. Blend well.
>
> Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until
> flour mixture is moistened. Stir in fruit.
>
> With floured hands, working on a floured surface, shape
> dough into an 8-inch flat round cut into eight wedges, or
> into eight 3-inch rounds.
>
> Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 deg F
> for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.
>
> source: Variation on recipe from
> Sun-Diamond Growers of California
>

> I've made this recipe at different times with many different dried
> fruits including "Craisins" sweetened dried cranberries.
>
> Of course, this is not the same as a traditional butter-laden
> English breakfast scone. However, it's easy to make and is very
> good to eat.
>

> Cheers,
> The Old Bear
>
> - ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> -
> ... and with a resounding splash, Noah sent forth from the ark a Dov ...
> ©
> -

Are Scones any good? Dan Abel General Cooking 15 13-04-2006 09:17 PM
Tea Scones Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 06-02-2006 08:49 AM
Tea Scones Duckie ® Recipes 0 09-10-2005 03:56 PM
Scones Lesley Gault Baking 4 15-10-2004 12:03 PM
scones Karen Cooke General Cooking 2 27-01-2004 07:56 PM