FoodBanter.com

-   -   Non Yeast Bread (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/380-non-yeast-bread.html)

Jerry Reed 05-02-2004 07:42 PM

Non Yeast Bread

In our area of the Northeast some stores offer bread from a New York
City Bakery - Ecce Panis. The particular bread is called Multi-Grain
Boule. I noticed that this bread doesn't use yeast as a leavening
agent, yet the bread rises nicely and has a nice finish to it. Does
anyone have a recipe for a bread similar to this that I can try at home?

Vox Humana 05-02-2004 07:59 PM

Non Yeast Bread

"Jerry Reed" > wrote in message
> In our area of the Northeast some stores offer bread from a New York
> City Bakery - Ecce Panis. The particular bread is called Multi-Grain
> Boule. I noticed that this bread doesn't use yeast as a leavening
> agent, yet the bread rises nicely and has a nice finish to it. Does
> anyone have a recipe for a bread similar to this that I can try at home?

Technically, they do use yeast as a leavening agent. They just don't use
commercial yeast. In other words, the use a starter that contains a culture
of wild yeast. Here is what their website says: "We also use natural
starters, rather than commercial yeasts to leaven our bread and give it its
mouthwatering flavor" http://www.eccepanis.com/our_brd.html

If you want to make this type of bread, you might post a request for recipes
and advice over at rec.food.sourdough