Old 02-02-2004, 08:25 PM

Default Whiskey & Plastic

Made a big cake soaked in bourbon from a recipe I found on the web
@cooks.com called Irish Whiskey Cake. It is very good and easy because
you start with cake mix & vanilla instant pudding. I would like to keep
some in the freezer but I'm not sure if the whiskey (the cake is very
moist) will not have a bad effect on the plastic wrap. Will someone
who knows their chemistry please tell me the best way to freeze this
cake? Thank you, Mari

Old 02-02-2004, 11:41 PM
graham

wrote in message

Made a big cake soaked in bourbon from a recipe I found on the web
@cooks.com called Irish Whiskey Cake. It is very good and easy because
you start with cake mix & vanilla instant pudding. I would like to keep
some in the freezer but I'm not sure if the whiskey (the cake is very
moist) will not have a bad effect on the plastic wrap. Will someone
who knows their chemistry please tell me the best way to freeze this
cake? Thank you, Mari

Make sure you use Saran rather than other plastic wraps as this one won't
react as readily with the fats in the cake as will others.
Graham

Old 11-02-2004, 04:28 AM
Roy Basan

(Betsy) wrote in message . com...
"H. W. Hans Kuntze" wrote in message ...
wrote:

Made a big cake soaked in bourbon from a recipe I found on the web
called Irish Whiskey Cake. It is very good and easy because

you start with cake mix & vanilla instant pudding. I would like to keep

some in the freezer but I'm not sure if the whiskey (the cake is very
moist) will not have a bad effect on the plastic wrap. Will someone
who knows their chemistry please tell me the best way to freeze this
cake? Thank you, Mari

Good thinking Mari.

But why would Plasticwrap (Saran, etc.) be bad with alcohol in this
dilution, Mari?

It is sold for drinking in plastic bottles and as rubbing alcohol (much
higher proof) too.

I don't think it will be bad for your cake. Plastc-wrap first and
alu-wrap after.
That way it is tight.

I beg to differ with you on one point. Rubbing alcohol is not the
same as drinking alcohol. Drinking alcohol is ethanol. Rubbing
alcohol is isopropanol, which is quite bad for humans to ingest.
Almost-pure ethanol is available (Ever-Clear), and can be drunk, but
is not rubbing alcohol.

I think what Hans is implying here that whatever alcohol is bottled in
plastic bottles , its stable.
I donot think that he mean that isopropyl alcohol is used in baking.
But ethanol can also be used as rubbing alcohol but would be
expensive probably( than ispropanol) because of the excise tax on such
alcohol.
IIRC the original rubbing alcohol was made from ethyl alcohol.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:54 AM
Brian Macke

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:29:27 -0800, Betsy wrote:

I beg to differ with you on one point. Rubbing alcohol is not the same
as drinking alcohol. Drinking alcohol is ethanol. Rubbing alcohol is
isopropanol, which is quite bad for humans to ingest. Almost-pure
ethanol is available (Ever-Clear), and can be drunk, but is not rubbing
alcohol.

Though that is a nice segue into the first time I bought 190 proof
Everclear and brought it home. I ended up putting it in a plastic bag.
Some Everclear leaked out of the bottle and melted parts of the plastic
bag. It was mildly disturbing, though I haven't experimented with it
enough to know if it'd eat through Saran Wrap.

(I don't drink the stuff, BTW. I use it as a disinfectant for equipment
that can't be put through a dishwasher.)

betsy

--
-Brian James Macke
"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which

Old whiskey Chemo the Clown General Cooking 0 05-02-2010 05:14 PM
Plastic Crates,Pallets,Boxes and All Type of Plastic Products - Gürtan Plastik [email protected] Cooking Equipment 0 07-06-2007 08:14 AM
Plastic Crates,Pallets,Boxes and All Type of Plastic Products - Gürtan Plastik [email protected] Barbecue 0 07-06-2007 08:13 AM
Plastic Crates,Pallets,Boxes and All Type of Plastic Products - Gürtan Plastik [email protected] Preserving 0 07-06-2007 08:12 AM
GÜRTAN PLASTIC - PLASTIC CRATES,PALLETS and ALL TYPE OF PLASTIC PRODUCTS [email protected] Preserving 0 05-06-2007 08:12 AM