michele

Default Pie Crust

I would like to know if anyone has any advice on how to make a pie
crust that is flaky and easy to prepare. I've just starting to do
more baking and I am not familiar with many tips on pie crust recipes.
Thanks
Vox Humana

"michele" > wrote in message
om...
> I would like to know if anyone has any advice on how to make a pie
> crust that is flaky and easy to prepare. I've just starting to do
> more baking and I am not familiar with many tips on pie crust recipes.
> Thanks

There are two qualities that people look for in pie pastry. It should be
flaky and tender. Flakiness comes from bits of fat in the dough.
Tenderness comes from low gluten development. Both of these qualities are
enhanced from keeping mixing to a minimum. I prefer to make pie pastry in
the food processor, although you can make it in a bowl using a pastry cutter
or two knives to cut the fat into the flour. I like to use 6 oz ( 14
tablespoons) of butter and 4 tablespoons of shortening for the fat. It is
important to keep the fat (especially the butter) very cold. I use 1 1/2
cups of all purpose flour and 1/2 cup cake flour. The cake flour is low in
proteins that produce gluten.

For the food processor method:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cake flour
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks butter) very cold (preferably frozen) cut into
small pieces
4 tablespoons shortening, very cold
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg yolk - optional
2 tablespoons of sugar if making a sweet pastry
1/4 cup water, and more if need

Put the flour, salt, and sugar if using, into the FP bowl and pulse a few
times. Add the cold butter and pulse about 6 times. Add the shortening and
egg yolk. With the FP running, slowly add the water until the dough forms
lumps about the size of walnuts. Stop the FP and dump the mixture onto the
counter. Bring the dough together. Divide into two pieces and flatten each
into a disk. Wrap with plastic film and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to
2 days. May be frozen at this point.

If making by hand, mix the flour and salt. Using a pasty blender (pasty
cutter) or two knives, cut the butter and shortening into the flour. It
should resemble coarse meal. Slowly add the water while mixing with a fork.
When it is uniformly moist, bring it together and proceed as above.

Making pie pastry takes some practice so don't be discouraged if it isn't
perfect at first.

H. W. Hans Kuntze

michele wrote:
> I would like to know if anyone has any advice on how to make a pie
> crust that is flaky and easy to prepare. I've just starting to do
> more baking and I am not familiar with many tips on pie crust recipes.
> Thanks

http://www.cmcchef.com/piedough.html

Disregard the recipes, Michele.

It will explain why a piecrust becomes mealy and why flaky.
--=20
Sincerly,

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com ,
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

LIMEYNO1

-------------- * Easy Recipe Deluxe Export Format 1.3 * --------------

Title: My Never Fail Pastry
Recipe By:
Category: Pastry; Peagram; Family
Main Ingredient:
Cuisine Style:
Yield: 4 Servings
Preparation Time: 0:00
Cooking Time: 0:00

[Amount] [Measure] [Ingredient (or Header)] -- [Preparation]
---------- ------------ ----------------------------------------------
*********************** MMMMMMM BY H. PEAGRAM ***********************
1 lb Shortening
5 cup Flour
2 tsp Salt
1 medium Egg
1 tbsp Vinegar
;Cold water

[Preparation]
Beat egg in measuring cup. Add cold water to measure 1 cup. Add 1
tbsp vinegar. Put 1/2 dry ingredients in processor. Add liquid,
about 1/2 cup while processing til mixture forms a lump. Repeat.
Combine 2 lots and let rest for 30 minutes or more. Make pie crusts
as usual. I prefer using a heavy pastry cloth.

- - - - - - - - - - - http://www.wensoftware.com - - - - - - - - - - -

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith that
saves is faith in Him

www.peagramfamily.com
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

225/207/145
"michele" < > wrote in message
om...
> I would like to know if anyone has any advice on how to make a pie
> crust that is flaky and easy to prepare. I've just starting to do
> more baking and I am not familiar with many tips on pie crust recipes.
> Thanks

My family has loved my pie crust for years. I use a 50/50 mix of cake
and AP flour.....and I use only LARD. I just don't tell them! The
secret is Frozen cut lard pieces going into the food processor, and Ice
Water. I divide into 2, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at
least a full hour before working.
If making a fruit pie, like apple, cherry, etc; before putting the
fruit into the crust, lay down a thin layer or peach or apricot
preserves. This will keep the fruit juice from going down into your
crust, making it soggy, before it bakes.

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
> My family has loved my pie crust for years. I use a 50/50 mix of cake
> and AP flour.....and I use only LARD. I just don't tell them! The
> secret is Frozen cut lard pieces going into the food processor, and Ice
> Water. I divide into 2, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at
> least a full hour before working.
> If making a fruit pie, like apple, cherry, etc; before putting the
> fruit into the crust, lay down a thin layer or peach or apricot
> preserves. This will keep the fruit juice from going down into your
> crust, making it soggy, before it bakes.

I tired lard and it did go well. The only lard I could find was some in a
box like butter comes in. Maybe if the lard was frozen it would have worked
better, but the stuff was at room temperature and melted virtually upon
touching it. I know that I had elderly family members who make lard crusts
and I doubt that they froze the lard first. Did I buy the wrong type of
lard or were the problems due to my technique? I make a pretty good crust
with butter.

Wayne Boatwright

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

> "michele" > wrote in message
> om...
>> I would like to know if anyone has any advice on how to make a pie
>> crust that is flaky and easy to prepare. I've just starting to do
>> more baking and I am not familiar with many tips on pie crust
>> recipes.
>> Thanks

> There are two qualities that people look for in pie pastry. It should
> be flaky and tender. Flakiness comes from bits of fat in the dough.
> Tenderness comes from low gluten development. Both of these qualities
> are enhanced from keeping mixing to a minimum. I prefer to make pie
> pastry in the food processor, although you can make it in a bowl using
> a pastry cutter or two knives to cut the fat into the flour. I like
> to use 6 oz ( 14 tablespoons) of butter and 4 tablespoons of
> shortening for the fat. It is important to keep the fat (especially
> the butter) very cold. I use 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour and 1/2
> cup cake flour. The cake flour is low in proteins that produce
> gluten.
>
> For the food processor method:
> 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
> 1/2 cup cake flour
> 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks butter) very cold (preferably frozen) cut
> into small pieces
> 4 tablespoons shortening, very cold
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 egg yolk - optional
> 2 tablespoons of sugar if making a sweet pastry
> 1/4 cup water, and more if need
>
> Put the flour, salt, and sugar if using, into the FP bowl and pulse a
> few times. Add the cold butter and pulse about 6 times. Add the
> shortening and egg yolk. With the FP running, slowly add the water
> until the dough forms lumps about the size of walnuts. Stop the FP
> and dump the mixture onto the counter. Bring the dough together.
> Divide into two pieces and flatten each into a disk. Wrap with
> plastic film and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 2 days. May be
> frozen at this point.
>
> If making by hand, mix the flour and salt. Using a pasty blender
> (pasty cutter) or two knives, cut the butter and shortening into the
> flour. It should resemble coarse meal. Slowly add the water while
> mixing with a fork. When it is uniformly moist, bring it together and
> proceed as above.
>
> Making pie pastry takes some practice so don't be discouraged if it
> isn't perfect at first.

Vox, you always offer such wonderful and detailed advice. I recall you
having posting this before and, although I've always made great pie
crust, began following your method. Now my crusts are even better!

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

> > wrote in message
>> My family has loved my pie crust for years. I use a 50/50 mix of
>> cake and AP flour.....and I use only LARD. I just don't tell them!
>> The secret is Frozen cut lard pieces going into the food processor,
>> and Ice Water. I divide into 2, wrap in plastic wrap and
>> refrigerate for at least a full hour before working.
>> If making a fruit pie, like apple, cherry, etc; before putting
>> the
>> fruit into the crust, lay down a thin layer or peach or apricot
>> preserves. This will keep the fruit juice from going down into your
>> crust, making it soggy, before it bakes.
>>

> I tired lard and it did go well. The only lard I could find was some
> in a box like butter comes in. Maybe if the lard was frozen it would
> have worked better, but the stuff was at room temperature and melted
> virtually upon touching it. I know that I had elderly family members
> who make lard crusts and I doubt that they froze the lard first. Did
> I buy the wrong type of lard or were the problems due to my technique?
> I make a pretty good crust with butter.

You're correct that our elders would not have frozen the lard. However,
they were probably using a somewhat different type of lard called "leaf
lard". It has a much firmer texture and, aside from that, simply make a
better crust. Unfortunately, leaf lard is rather difficult to find. You
might check with you butcher and ask if they can get it for you.

Wayne

Eric Jorgensen

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 05:04:32 GMT
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in
> :
>

> > > wrote in message
> >> My family has loved my pie crust for years. I use a 50/50 mix of
> >> cake and AP flour.....and I use only LARD. I just don't tell

> >them! > The secret is Frozen cut lard pieces going into the food
> >processor,> and Ice Water. I divide into 2, wrap in plastic wrap
> >and> refrigerate for at least a full hour before working.
> >> If making a fruit pie, like apple, cherry, etc; before putting
> >> the
> >> fruit into the crust, lay down a thin layer or peach or apricot
> >> preserves. This will keep the fruit juice from going down into

> >your> crust, making it soggy, before it bakes.
> >>

> > I tired lard and it did go well. The only lard I could find was
> > some in a box like butter comes in. Maybe if the lard was frozen it
> > would have worked better, but the stuff was at room temperature and
> > melted virtually upon touching it. I know that I had elderly family
> > members who make lard crusts and I doubt that they froze the lard
> > first. Did I buy the wrong type of lard or were the problems due to
> > my technique?
> > I make a pretty good crust with butter.

> You're correct that our elders would not have frozen the lard.
> However, they were probably using a somewhat different type of lard
> called "leaf lard". It has a much firmer texture and, aside from
> that, simply make a better crust. Unfortunately, leaf lard is rather
> difficult to find. You might check with you butcher and ask if they
> can get it for you.

What about Manteca?

Wayne Boatwright

Eric Jorgensen > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 05:04:32 GMT
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> "Vox Humana" > wrote in
>> :

>> >them! > The secret is Frozen cut lard pieces going into the food
>> >processor,> and Ice Water. I divide into 2, wrap in plastic wrap
>> >and> refrigerate for at least a full hour before working.
>> >your> crust, making it soggy, before it bakes.
>> >>

>> > I tired lard and it did go well. The only lard I could find was
>> > some in a box like butter comes in. Maybe if the lard was frozen it
>> > would have worked better, but the stuff was at room temperature and
>> > melted virtually upon touching it. I know that I had elderly family
>> > members who make lard crusts and I doubt that they froze the lard
>> > first. Did I buy the wrong type of lard or were the problems due to
>> > my technique?
>> > I make a pretty good crust with butter.

>> You're correct that our elders would not have frozen the lard.
>> However, they were probably using a somewhat different type of lard
>> called "leaf lard". It has a much firmer texture and, aside from
>> that, simply make a better crust. Unfortunately, leaf lard is rather
>> difficult to find. You might check with you butcher and ask if they
>> can get it for you.

> What about Manteca?

I'm unfamiliar with Manteca. What is it?

CG

"michele" > wrote in message
om...
> I would like to know if anyone has any advice on how to make a pie
> crust that is flaky and easy to prepare.

My grandmother taught me to cut your fat in twice: first time like cornmeal
(for tenderness) and the second time to pea-size (for flakiness).
Everything (even flour if possible) should be cold, cold, cold.

I like to use 1/3 butter, 1/3 shortening and 1/3 lard. Lard makes the
flakiest crust, so I add it in for the second cut.

BTW, remember if using margarine to use the stick kind, not the whipped.

Vox Humana

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in
> :
>

> > > wrote in message
> >> My family has loved my pie crust for years. I use a 50/50 mix of
> >> cake and AP flour.....and I use only LARD. I just don't tell them!
> >> The secret is Frozen cut lard pieces going into the food processor,
> >> and Ice Water. I divide into 2, wrap in plastic wrap and
> >> refrigerate for at least a full hour before working.
> >> If making a fruit pie, like apple, cherry, etc; before putting
> >> the
> >> fruit into the crust, lay down a thin layer or peach or apricot
> >> preserves. This will keep the fruit juice from going down into your
> >> crust, making it soggy, before it bakes.
> >>

> > I tired lard and it did go well. The only lard I could find was some
> > in a box like butter comes in. Maybe if the lard was frozen it would
> > have worked better, but the stuff was at room temperature and melted
> > virtually upon touching it. I know that I had elderly family members
> > who make lard crusts and I doubt that they froze the lard first. Did
> > I buy the wrong type of lard or were the problems due to my technique?
> > I make a pretty good crust with butter.

> You're correct that our elders would not have frozen the lard. However,
> they were probably using a somewhat different type of lard called "leaf
> lard". It has a much firmer texture and, aside from that, simply make a
> better crust. Unfortunately, leaf lard is rather difficult to find. You
> might check with you butcher and ask if they can get it for you.
>
> Wayne

You are probably right about the lard. The relatives I am thinking of lived
on farms and butchered their own pigs.

Vox Humana

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in
> :
>

> > "michele" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >> I would like to know if anyone has any advice on how to make a pie
> >> crust that is flaky and easy to prepare. I've just starting to do
> >> more baking and I am not familiar with many tips on pie crust
> >> recipes.
> >> Thanks

> > There are two qualities that people look for in pie pastry. It should
> > be flaky and tender. Flakiness comes from bits of fat in the dough.
> > Tenderness comes from low gluten development. Both of these qualities
> > are enhanced from keeping mixing to a minimum. I prefer to make pie
> > pastry in the food processor, although you can make it in a bowl using
> > a pastry cutter or two knives to cut the fat into the flour. I like
> > to use 6 oz ( 14 tablespoons) of butter and 4 tablespoons of
> > shortening for the fat. It is important to keep the fat (especially
> > the butter) very cold. I use 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour and 1/2
> > cup cake flour. The cake flour is low in proteins that produce
> > gluten.
> >
> > For the food processor method:
> > 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
> > 1/2 cup cake flour
> > 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks butter) very cold (preferably frozen) cut
> > into small pieces
> > 4 tablespoons shortening, very cold
> > 1/2 teaspoon salt
> > 1 egg yolk - optional
> > 2 tablespoons of sugar if making a sweet pastry
> > 1/4 cup water, and more if need
> >
> > Put the flour, salt, and sugar if using, into the FP bowl and pulse a
> > few times. Add the cold butter and pulse about 6 times. Add the
> > shortening and egg yolk. With the FP running, slowly add the water
> > until the dough forms lumps about the size of walnuts. Stop the FP
> > and dump the mixture onto the counter. Bring the dough together.
> > Divide into two pieces and flatten each into a disk. Wrap with
> > plastic film and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 2 days. May be
> > frozen at this point.
> >
> > If making by hand, mix the flour and salt. Using a pasty blender
> > (pasty cutter) or two knives, cut the butter and shortening into the
> > flour. It should resemble coarse meal. Slowly add the water while
> > mixing with a fork. When it is uniformly moist, bring it together and
> > proceed as above.
> >
> > Making pie pastry takes some practice so don't be discouraged if it
> > isn't perfect at first.
> >

> Vox, you always offer such wonderful and detailed advice. I recall you
> having posting this before and, although I've always made great pie
> crust, began following your method. Now my crusts are even better!
>
> Wayne

Thanks. I can't take much credit for this as it is basically Julia Child's
recipe from "The Way to Cook." I have tried a lot of different recipes and
techniques and this one seems to have the best combination of flavor,
flakiness, tenderness, and ease of handling.

Vox Humana

"CG" > wrote in message

> "michele" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I would like to know if anyone has any advice on how to make a pie
> > crust that is flaky and easy to prepare.

> My grandmother taught me to cut your fat in twice: first time like

cornmeal
> (for tenderness) and the second time to pea-size (for flakiness).
> Everything (even flour if possible) should be cold, cold, cold.
>
> I like to use 1/3 butter, 1/3 shortening and 1/3 lard. Lard makes the
> flakiest crust, so I add it in for the second cut.
>
> BTW, remember if using margarine to use the stick kind, not the whipped.

I would add that not all stick margarine is equal. Some is only 65% fat
while butter is about 80% fat. That said, I can't see any reason to use
margarine. I would just use shortening (regular or butter flavored) since
margarine is basically shortening with water, color, flavoring, and other
assorted things added depending on the brand.

Eric Jorgensen

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 05:43:24 GMT
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Eric Jorgensen > wrote in
> :
>
> > On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 05:04:32 GMT
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> >
> >> "Vox Humana" > wrote in
> >> :

> >of> >> cake and AP flour.....and I use only LARD. I just don't tell

> >putting> >> the

> >it> > would have worked better, but the stuff was at room temperature
> >and> > melted virtually upon touching it. I know that I had elderly
> >family> > members who make lard crusts and I doubt that they froze
> >the lard> > first. Did I buy the wrong type of lard or were the
> >problems due to> > my technique?
> >>
> >> You're correct that our elders would not have frozen the lard.
> >> However, they were probably using a somewhat different type of lard
> >> called "leaf lard". It has a much firmer texture and, aside from
> >> that, simply make a better crust. Unfortunately, leaf lard is

> >rather> difficult to find. You might check with you butcher and ask
> >if they> can get it for you.
> >

> > What about Manteca?
> >

> I'm unfamiliar with Manteca. What is it?

Manteca is 'stabalized' lard. In summary, it's hydrogenated so it's
more solid at room temperature, and somehow treated so that it doesn't
require refrigeration either. It's common in mexican food. Or at least
it used to be. I know a lot of people who argue that flour tortillas
just aren't the same without it.

- Eric

Alex Rast

at Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:00:31 GMT in <da99096b.0310141400.247dfe28
@posting.google.com>, (michele) wrote :

>I would like to know if anyone has any advice on how to make a pie
>crust that is flaky and easy to prepare. I've just starting to do
>more baking and I am not familiar with many tips on pie crust recipes.
> Thanks

90% of the problem is skill and practice. Making a crust flaky isn't
difficult once you've done it enough, but without some practice and skill,
risks failure even though the directions are simple. The basic idea:

Cut (solid) fat into flour using a pastry cutter or 2 knives. This means
use literally a cutting motion through the fat, which you've dumped into
the flour, not a stirring motion. You can lift the flour over the fat, but
not stir it.

Don't proceed too far with cutting. The mixture should still be very uneven
and not fully blended when you stop. I aim for a mix resembling coarse
breadcrumbs mixed with peas.

Do everything gently. This means don't apply much force at any point, in
any direction.

Use lard for flakiness. The best is leaf lard you've rendered yourself.
Next best is leaf lard that you've bought. Supermarket brick lard will work
OK but is not an ideal choice.

Not all the fat need be lard. In fact, it's best if it isn't. Half lard,
half butter works better because the flavour is almost infinitely better.
Once you get skilled, you can use all butter, but this will require working
quickly and being very careful.

Don't skimp on fat ratios. I've used a ratio of 2:5 fat : flour for some
time, and in fact 1:2 is less risky if you've not got plenty of practice.

After you've cut in the fat, add water. Add only just enough that it will
barely hold together when you press it gently. Adding too much water is
your ticket to an iron crust. You'll probably think you haven't added
enough the first time you make a crust. It's best to add a tablespoonful at
a time, staying on the low side initially.

Roll gently as well. It should roll with *no* pressure at all on the pin.
The weight of the pin itself should do the job. Your hands should guide the
pin only. This means the best way to do it is to cradle the handles rather
than grip them.

Keep everything cold. This means chill fats, flours, and water before
making, and chill bowls, boards, pins, knives, etc. Work quickly and in a
cool room. If you're making a 2-crust pie, put the ball for the top crust
in the fridge while you roll the bottom.

Again, practice, practice, practice. Take stock of what you did for each
pie and make note of the results. That way you can find what works and what
doesn't.
--
Alex Rast

Wayne Boatwright

Eric Jorgensen > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 05:43:24 GMT
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> Eric Jorgensen > wrote in
>> :

>> >of> >> cake and AP flour.....and I use only LARD. I just don't tell
>> >putting> >> the

>> >it> > would have worked better, but the stuff was at room temperature
>> >and> > melted virtually upon touching it. I know that I had elderly
>> >family> > members who make lard crusts and I doubt that they froze
>> >the lard> > first. Did I buy the wrong type of lard or were the
>> >problems due to> > my technique?

>> >rather> difficult to find. You might check with you butcher and ask
>> >if they> can get it for you.
>> >

>> > What about Manteca?
>> >

>> I'm unfamiliar with Manteca. What is it?

> Manteca is 'stabalized' lard. In summary, it's hydrogenated so

it's
> more solid at room temperature, and somehow treated so that it doesn't
> require refrigeration either. It's common in mexican food. Or at least
> it used to be. I know a lot of people who argue that flour tortillas
> just aren't the same without it.
>
> - Eric

Is it truly "lard", as in animal fat, or is it a vegetable product?

Wayne
Eric Jorgensen

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 05:26:25 GMT
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Eric Jorgensen > wrote in
> :
>
> > On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 05:43:24 GMT
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> >
> >> Eric Jorgensen > wrote in
> >> :

> ...> >>
> >>of> >> cake and AP flour.....and I use only LARD. I just don't

> >tell> >> >them! > The secret is Frozen cut lard pieces going into
> >the food> >> >processor,> and Ice Water. I divide into 2, wrap in
> >plastic wrap> >> >and> refrigerate for at least a full hour before
> >working.> >> >> If making a fruit pie, like apple, cherry, etc;
> >before> >putting> >> the

> >apricot> >> >> preserves. This will keep the fruit juice from going
> >down into> >> >your> crust, making it soggy, before it bakes.

> >was> >> > some in a box like butter comes in. Maybe if the lard was
> >frozen> >it> > would have worked better, but the stuff was at room
> >temperature> >and> > melted virtually upon touching it. I know that
> >I had elderly> >family> > members who make lard crusts and I doubt
> >that they froze> >the lard> > first. Did I buy the wrong type of
> >lard or were the> >problems due to> > my technique?

> >lard> >> called "leaf lard". It has a much firmer texture and, aside
> >from> >> that, simply make a better crust. Unfortunately, leaf lard
> >is> >rather> difficult to find. You might check with you butcher and
> >ask> >if they> can get it for you.

> >> I'm unfamiliar with Manteca. What is it?

> > Manteca is 'stabalized' lard. In summary, it's hydrogenated so

> it's
> > more solid at room temperature, and somehow treated so that it
> > doesn't require refrigeration either. It's common in mexican food.
> > Or at least it used to be. I know a lot of people who argue that
> > flour tortillas just aren't the same without it.
> >
> > - Eric
> >

> Is it truly "lard", as in animal fat, or is it a vegetable product?

Yep. Hydrogenated rendered animal fat.
Wayne Boatwright

Eric Jorgensen > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 05:26:25 GMT
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> Eric Jorgensen > wrote in
>> :

>> ...> >>
>> >tell> >> >them! > The secret is Frozen cut lard pieces going into
>> >the food> >> >processor,> and Ice Water. I divide into 2, wrap in
>> >plastic wrap> >> >and> refrigerate for at least a full hour before
>> >working.> >> >> If making a fruit pie, like apple, cherry, etc;
>> >before> >putting> >> the
>> >apricot> >> >> preserves. This will keep the fruit juice from going
>> >down into> >> >your> crust, making it soggy, before it bakes.

>> >was> >> > some in a box like butter comes in. Maybe if the lard was
>> >frozen> >it> > would have worked better, but the stuff was at room
>> >temperature> >and> > melted virtually upon touching it. I know that
>> >I had elderly> >family> > members who make lard crusts and I doubt
>> >that they froze> >the lard> > first. Did I buy the wrong type of
>> >lard or were the> >problems due to> > my technique?

>> >lard> >> called "leaf lard". It has a much firmer texture and, aside
>> >from> >> that, simply make a better crust. Unfortunately, leaf lard
>> >is> >rather> difficult to find. You might check with you butcher and
>> >ask> >if they> can get it for you.

>> > Manteca is 'stabalized' lard. In summary, it's hydrogenated so

>> it's
>> > more solid at room temperature, and somehow treated so that it
>> > doesn't require refrigeration either. It's common in mexican food.
>> > Or at least it used to be. I know a lot of people who argue that
>> > flour tortillas just aren't the same without it.
>> >
>> > - Eric
>> >

>> Is it truly "lard", as in animal fat, or is it a vegetable product?

> Yep. Hydrogenated rendered animal fat.

As if by magic, I happened onto some at Walmart tonight. I didn't buy it
so I don't know the consistency. However, the hydrogenation process may
very well make it firm enough to use without freezing.

Pie crust Andy Petro General Cooking 71 13-06-2010 08:22 PM
Pie crust HELP! Outdoorgirl General Cooking 25 22-06-2005 04:25 AM
low-fat pie crust? Ken Knecht General Cooking 12 11-09-2004 04:55 PM
pie crust Mary Jo Oliver General Cooking 7 28-07-2004 07:27 AM
Crazy Crust Pizza Crust Recipes (moderated) 0 24-11-2003 07:22 PM