Parker

Default When to add salt to bread dough?

I've use Joe Ortiz' book "The Village Baker" for about 10 years. On
some of his recipes, he specifies that salt should be added as the
final ingredient during kneading.

I find this awkward, and I've never noticed a difference between
adding the salt at the end or during the mixing of the dough. Plus, I
wonder if the salt gets mixed properly throughout the dough.

Does anyone know what is accomplished by adding the salt last? Has
anyone tested both methods and been able to detect a difference?

Thanks.
MOMPEAGRAM

When I make the mixed starter dough it is the last thing in too. Don't know
why.

"Parker" > wrote in message
om...
> I've use Joe Ortiz' book "The Village Baker" for about 10 years. On
> some of his recipes, he specifies that salt should be added as the
> final ingredient during kneading.
>
> I find this awkward, and I've never noticed a difference between
> adding the salt at the end or during the mixing of the dough. Plus, I
> wonder if the salt gets mixed properly throughout the dough.
>
> Does anyone know what is accomplished by adding the salt last? Has
> anyone tested both methods and been able to detect a difference?
>
> Thanks.

Dick Margulis

Parker wrote:

> I've use Joe Ortiz' book "The Village Baker" for about 10 years. On
> some of his recipes, he specifies that salt should be added as the
> final ingredient during kneading.
>
> I find this awkward, and I've never noticed a difference between
> adding the salt at the end or during the mixing of the dough. Plus, I
> wonder if the salt gets mixed properly throughout the dough.
>
> Does anyone know what is accomplished by adding the salt last? Has
> anyone tested both methods and been able to detect a difference?
>
> Thanks.

Parker,

Salt toughens gluten. By adding it at the end, you are mixing a softer
dough for most of the duration of the mixing. This can mean that you are
putting less strain on the machine (or your arms); it can mean that the
heat rise due to mixing is reduced, too; and it can mean that mixing is
more thorough, I suppose. Both of these potential differences depend on
the hydration level of the dough and would, presumably, be more
pronounced in lower-hydration doughs.

I'm not sure that any of this matters at all unless you are mixing by
hand, though; and even then the effect is minimal in my opinion.

Dick
Dick Margulis

Parker wrote:

> I've use Joe Ortiz' book "The Village Baker" for about 10 years. On
> some of his recipes, he specifies that salt should be added as the
> final ingredient during kneading.
>
> I find this awkward, and I've never noticed a difference between
> adding the salt at the end or during the mixing of the dough. Plus, I
> wonder if the salt gets mixed properly throughout the dough.
>
> Does anyone know what is accomplished by adding the salt last? Has
> anyone tested both methods and been able to detect a difference?
>
> Thanks.

Parker,

Salt toughens gluten. By adding it at the end, you are mixing a softer
dough for most of the duration of the mixing. This can mean that you are
putting less strain on the machine (or your arms); it can mean that the
heat rise due to mixing is reduced, too; and it can mean that mixing is
more thorough, I suppose. Both of these potential differences depend on
the hydration level of the dough and would, presumably, be more
pronounced in lower-hydration doughs.

I'm not sure that any of this matters at all unless you are mixing by
hand, though; and even then the effect is minimal in my opinion.

Dick
Joe Yudelson

No difference. I mix it with the flour. Ortiz probably had undissolved salt
crystals in his bread.

Joe
"Parker" > wrote in message
om...
> I've use Joe Ortiz' book "The Village Baker" for about 10 years. On
> some of his recipes, he specifies that salt should be added as the
> final ingredient during kneading.
>
> I find this awkward, and I've never noticed a difference between
> adding the salt at the end or during the mixing of the dough. Plus, I
> wonder if the salt gets mixed properly throughout the dough.
>
> Does anyone know what is accomplished by adding the salt last? Has
> anyone tested both methods and been able to detect a difference?
>
> Thanks.

Joe Yudelson

No difference. I mix it with the flour. Ortiz probably had undissolved salt
crystals in his bread.

Joe
"Parker" > wrote in message
om...
> I've use Joe Ortiz' book "The Village Baker" for about 10 years. On
> some of his recipes, he specifies that salt should be added as the
> final ingredient during kneading.
>
> I find this awkward, and I've never noticed a difference between
> adding the salt at the end or during the mixing of the dough. Plus, I
> wonder if the salt gets mixed properly throughout the dough.
>
> Does anyone know what is accomplished by adding the salt last? Has
> anyone tested both methods and been able to detect a difference?
>
> Thanks.

Janet Bostwick

"Joe Yudelson" > wrote in message
> No difference. I mix it with the flour. Ortiz probably had undissolved
> salt crystals in his bread.

I always put the salt in last and there are never any undissolved salt
crystals or salty streaks. You do realize that you will still have to
finish kneading when you put the salt in? It isn't like you throw the salt
on top of the finished dough and leave it at that. You simply do all of
your mixing and most of your kneading and then when you have a little bit of
kneading left to do, you add the salt. This applies to regular table salt
and fine sea salt--not kosher or specialty salts that have a larger grain.
There is a far greater danger of mishap by adding flour late in the mix or
on the bench than there is by adding a little bit of water soluble,
fine-grained salt. Dough is a very wet environment.
Janet

divine_austerlitz

In message >, Parker
> writes
>I've use Joe Ortiz' book "The Village Baker" for about 10 years. On
>some of his recipes, he specifies that salt should be added as the
>final ingredient during kneading.
>
>I find this awkward, and I've never noticed a difference between
>adding the salt at the end or during the mixing of the dough. Plus, I
>wonder if the salt gets mixed properly throughout the dough.
>
>Does anyone know what is accomplished by adding the salt last? Has
>anyone tested both methods and been able to detect a difference?
>
>Thanks.

I have the same book and have tested both methods. I have noticed no
difference at all and neither has my husband when I have given him blind
taste tests. It's a small sample and therefore not conclusive, but in
this household, I add the salt during the mixing because it is so much
easier that way. I knead all of my bread by hand, by the way.

When to add salt reminds me of cookery book in which the author swore
that all flour should be heated in a low oven before mixing. I tried
it, but it made no difference except that it made the bread-making
process longer.

--
Céline

'Porter already knew that the Confederates were chopping down trees
ahead of the expedition; he now learned that they were doing the same
thing behind it.'
- A Naval History of the civil war by Howard P Nash Jr
divine_austerlitz

In message >, Parker
> writes
>I've use Joe Ortiz' book "The Village Baker" for about 10 years. On
>some of his recipes, he specifies that salt should be added as the
>final ingredient during kneading.
>
>I find this awkward, and I've never noticed a difference between
>adding the salt at the end or during the mixing of the dough. Plus, I
>wonder if the salt gets mixed properly throughout the dough.
>
>Does anyone know what is accomplished by adding the salt last? Has
>anyone tested both methods and been able to detect a difference?
>
>Thanks.

I have the same book and have tested both methods. I have noticed no
difference at all and neither has my husband when I have given him blind
taste tests. It's a small sample and therefore not conclusive, but in
this household, I add the salt during the mixing because it is so much
easier that way. I knead all of my bread by hand, by the way.

When to add salt reminds me of cookery book in which the author swore
that all flour should be heated in a low oven before mixing. I tried
it, but it made no difference except that it made the bread-making
process longer.

--
Céline

'Porter already knew that the Confederates were chopping down trees
ahead of the expedition; he now learned that they were doing the same
thing behind it.'
- A Naval History of the civil war by Howard P Nash Jr
Nathan Thomas

Hi:
More experienced bakers than I are likely to chime in on this . . .
But I could swear that I've read (and heard in baking shows) that salt
can possibly damage the lives of our friendly living yeast. So best to
get our friends fully awake and wheezing at top performance before
adding salt.
Nathan