FoodBanter.com

-   -   Help with Pureed Carrots in Cake (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/365-help-pureed-carrots-cake.html)

Julie 29-01-2004 06:48 PM

Help with Pureed Carrots in Cake

Hi all,

I looked through the back postings and could not find a suitable
answer.

I would like a recipe that uses pureed carrots BUT that does not have
pineapple or coconut in it. It does not have to be "low fat".

I have a large amount of frozen carrots and wanted to use them up ...

Or lacking a recipe...does any one have an idea what the adjustments
would be with the fluids if I used pureed carrots rather than grated
ones...I know the grated ones can be quite juicy...and the pureed ones
can be either juicy or dry depending on the method used to cook them.

Thanks ever so much..
Julie

Vox Humana 29-01-2004 07:28 PM

Help with Pureed Carrots in Cake

"Julie" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi all,
>
> I looked through the back postings and could not find a suitable
> answer.
>
> I would like a recipe that uses pureed carrots BUT that does not have
> pineapple or coconut in it. It does not have to be "low fat".
>
> I have a large amount of frozen carrots and wanted to use them up ...
>
> Or lacking a recipe...does any one have an idea what the adjustments
> would be with the fluids if I used pureed carrots rather than grated
> ones...I know the grated ones can be quite juicy...and the pureed ones
> can be either juicy or dry depending on the method used to cook them.
>
> Thanks ever so much..
> Julie

Looking at the USDA database
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl it looks like there is
little difference between the two items.
A 100 g portion of boiled, frozen carrots has 90g water and the same portion
of raw carrots has 88g water
One cup of boiled, frozen carrots is 146g
One cup of raw carrots is 128g
I would guess that the difference in weight is attributable to the packing
density of the two products, with the softer carrots packing more densely.
Therefore, I would use 128 grams of cooked carrots for each cup of raw
carrots specified.

You can generally remove dry ingredients like nuts, raisins, and coconut
from recipes without any change in the formula unless these ingredients are
a major component that contributes to the baked good's structure. That
isn't true of the pineapple as it has a lot of moisture and also is acidic.

Baldy Cotton 29-01-2004 11:38 PM

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>I would like a recipe that uses pureed carrots BUT that does not have
>pineapple or coconut in it. It does not have to be "low fat".

Whether pineapple or coconut, both can usually be left out.

Try substituing grated or chopped apples in equal amounts.

Vox Humana 29-01-2004 11:49 PM

"Baldy Cotton" > wrote in message
> Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
> >I would like a recipe that uses pureed carrots BUT that does not have
> >pineapple or coconut in it. It does not have to be "low fat".

> Whether pineapple or coconut, both can usually be left out.
>
> Try substituing grated or chopped apples in equal amounts.

I would be careful about omitting the pineapple. Drained pineapple contains
about 18% water and it is acidic. You would have to substitute something
else to compensate for the moisture or increase the liquid. If that
substitute wasn't acidic, you would also have to change the leavening.
Apples would be a good substitute, but I don't think you could just leave
out the pineapple.

Julie 30-01-2004 07:23 PM

Help with Pureed Carrots in Cake

Thanks All...

I found a recipe for Pumpkin Cake that called for pureed pumpkin
(quite dry). I substuted he pureed carrot instead and it has come out
the treat.:-)

I thank you all for you suggestions..:->

Cheers

Julie

Lorena 31-01-2004 12:43 AM

Help with Pureed Carrots in Cake