Vox Humana

Default Cooking in College

"Curtis" > wrote in message
om...
> I am looking for recipes that would be easy for a non-experienced
> college cooker. I am getting tired of the same old Top Ramen noodles.
> Any ideas for quick and tasty breakfasts, lunches, or dinners would
> be great. Thanks a bunch.

You might take a look at the new Martha Stewart publication, "Everyday
Food." It is a small format magazine that has interesting food that is easy
to prepare and requires a minimal number of ingredients. The magazine is on
newsstands and at the check-out in many grocery stores.
http://tinyurl.com/25npd
In addition to recipes, it has short articles on equipment, technique, and
nutrition.

Lorea

Let's see...I survived on pasta, stir-fry, and soup+pasta. Oh, and fried
rice too.

For stir-fry, just buy the pre-cut stuff at your grocery store. You can buy
meat already pre-cut for "stirfry," or you can buy the chicken that's
already cut up into strips. Pre-peeled shrimp is also especially quick to
prepare. Also look at the freezer aisle for frozen carrots/peas/veggies,
and the pre-cut veggies in the produce departement. When it's time to cook,
you just fry everything together, throwing in whatever you want. You don't
even have to make it Asian-tasting....feel free to throw in a sprig of thyme
or some dried herbs, depending on your mood. You can do the same thing with
fried rice.

I really like doing stir-fry when I don't have much time - it takes me 10
minutes to prepare (and I don't buy the pre-cut stuff), and about 5 minutes
to stir-fry. Make some rice in a rice cooker, or easier yet, buy some
cooked rice for about $1 at your local Chinese restaurant.

For Soup+Pasta, you can buy the yucky canned stuff, or you can just make a
humongous batch of your own soup, then freeze it all. When it's time to
eat, just microwave the frozen soup and cook some pasta and throw it all
together.

Grilled cheese sandwiches are fast too.

For breakfast-type foods, how about French Toast? Heat some butter in a
flat pan on medium heat, dip a slice of bread into a beaten egg with a
splash of cream, then fry it gently on both sides. I think Brioche bread
tastes the best, but anything would work.

Or how about omelets? Again, you can buy the frozen veggies, put in some
sliced deli meats, and you're good to go.

Hope this helps!
Lorea