Gayle Hodur

Default Black & Decker all-in-one bread machine

I bought one of these machines at the Goodwill, but it has no manual, and I
need to know if I'm doing the settings correctly. It seems pretty
straightforward...
I don't need hardcopy on the manual, just want to check with somone a
couple of questions, such as, why does it wait before starting to knead the
dough? How come the production time is so loonnng for basic bread? Any
quirks this machine that I should know about? (For instance, on my other
bread machine, I had stop the machine and take the bread out 5 min. before
time was up if I didn't want the crust too dark.)

Jenn Ridley

"Gayle Hodur" > wrote:

>I don't need hardcopy on the manual, just want to check with somone a
>couple of questions, such as, why does it wait before starting to knead the
>dough?

First mixing, or actual kneading?

It waits a while before first mixing to let the ingredients get to a
more uniform temperature. The butter will soften slightly, the water
will warm slightly. It makes the ingredients combine more evenly and
quickly.

The bread comes out better if there's a decent interval between first
mixing and the actual kneading. The grain of the bread is finer, and
it tastes better.

>How come the production time is so loonnng for basic bread?

how long is it? You can't make a decent yeast bread in less than 2.5
hours. "Rapid" bread in my Panasonic is 3 hours, standard is 4.

--
Jenn Ridley :
Jenn Ridley

"Gayle Hodur" > wrote:

>I don't need hardcopy on the manual, just want to check with somone a
>couple of questions, such as, why does it wait before starting to knead the
>dough?

First mixing, or actual kneading?

It waits a while before first mixing to let the ingredients get to a
more uniform temperature. The butter will soften slightly, the water
will warm slightly. It makes the ingredients combine more evenly and
quickly.

The bread comes out better if there's a decent interval between first
mixing and the actual kneading. The grain of the bread is finer, and
it tastes better.

>How come the production time is so loonnng for basic bread?

how long is it? You can't make a decent yeast bread in less than 2.5
hours. "Rapid" bread in my Panasonic is 3 hours, standard is 4.

--
Jenn Ridley :
KB

Gayle Hodur wrote:
> I bought one of these machines at the Goodwill, but it has no manual, and I
> need to know if I'm doing the settings correctly. It seems pretty
> straightforward...
> I don't need hardcopy on the manual, just want to check with somone a
> couple of questions, such as, why does it wait before starting to knead the
> dough? How come the production time is so loonnng for basic bread? Any
> quirks this machine that I should know about? (For instance, on my other
> bread machine, I had stop the machine and take the bread out 5 min. before
> time was up if I didn't want the crust too dark.)

In order for the flavors to augment and refine themselves, a long time
in needed. It gives the ingredients time to combine together and form a
superior baking product. Many of the newer machines, and recipes do
indeed have shorter times. However the final product is almost always
inferior. Stay with the longer times for a better final result.
Ken B

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD