William

Default Black Forest Cake

Hello,

I recently found out that Black Forest cake is a german cake. To celebrate
OktoberFest, I would like to bake a Black Forest cake. I'd like some
information:

1. Does a traditional black forest cake have cherries? I heard that it
doesn't
2. Does anyone have a traditional recipe they would like to share?
3. I am located in the lower mainland of B.C., Canada. Can anyone suggest a
German bakery that carries a traditional black forest cake?

Thanks for your time.

Will.
Petra Hildebrandt

William wrote

> I recently found out that Black Forest cake is a german cake. To celebrate
> OktoberFest, I would like to bake a Black Forest cake. I'd like some
> information:

well, Oktoberfest is a Bavarian tradition. The Black Forest cake, named
after the large forest in Baden-Wuerttemberg (different state) is German,
but not exactly a typical dish in Bavaria. Something more traditional would
be Zwetschgendatschi, such as

http://www.worldwideschool.org/libra...end/Chap1.html

Of course Black Forest Cake will be fine anway

> 1. Does a traditional black forest cake have cherries? I heard that it
> doesn't

yes it does. Usually these are sour cherries preserved in kirsch & sugar.

> 2. Does anyone have a traditional recipe they would like to share?

You might have a look at

http://ilforno.typepad.com/il_forno/...ake_walk_.html

HTH,

Petra in Hamburg, Germany - far from Black Forest & Bavaria

Petra Hildebrandt

William wrote

> I recently found out that Black Forest cake is a german cake. To celebrate
> OktoberFest, I would like to bake a Black Forest cake. I'd like some
> information:

well, Oktoberfest is a Bavarian tradition. The Black Forest cake, named
after the large forest in Baden-Wuerttemberg (different state) is German,
but not exactly a typical dish in Bavaria. Something more traditional would
be Zwetschgendatschi, such as

http://www.worldwideschool.org/libra...end/Chap1.html

Of course Black Forest Cake will be fine anway

> 1. Does a traditional black forest cake have cherries? I heard that it
> doesn't

yes it does. Usually these are sour cherries preserved in kirsch & sugar.

> 2. Does anyone have a traditional recipe they would like to share?

You might have a look at

http://ilforno.typepad.com/il_forno/...ake_walk_.html

HTH,

Petra in Hamburg, Germany - far from Black Forest & Bavaria

Wayne

William > wrote in
:

> Hello,
>
> I recently found out that Black Forest cake is a german cake. To
> celebrate OktoberFest, I would like to bake a Black Forest cake. I'd
> like some information:
>
> 1. Does a traditional black forest cake have cherries? I heard that it
> doesn't

Yes, it does, in the filling, but not in the cake itself.

> 2. Does anyone have a traditional recipe they would like to share?

There are many. Most of what you find in the US are *not* traditional.

> 3. I am located in the lower mainland of B.C., Canada. Can anyone
> suggest a German bakery that carries a traditional black forest cake?

Dunno. I'm in central AZ.

> Thanks for your time.
>
> Will.

You're welcome.

Give this one a shot...

Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte Serves 12

CHOCOLATE GENOISE
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1 cup boiling water
8 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup superfine (caster) sugar
1-½ cups sifted cake flour

CHERRIES w/SYRUP*
2 1-pound cans morello cherries
(OR red sour cherries)
¾ cup superfine (caster) sugar
1 cup cherry liquid
½ cup Kirsch

KIRSCH FILLING
2 cups confectioner's (icing sugar, sifted)
2/3 cup unsalted butter
2 egg yolks
¼ cup Kirsch

CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM
9 ounces semisweet chocolate
¾ cup superfine (caster) sugar
3 tablespoons water
3 egg yolks
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening (optional)

CREAM TOPPING
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons superfine (caster) sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon Kirsch

DECORATION
12 maraschino cherries w/stems
1/3 cup Kirsch
1 bar semisweet chocolate (for chocolate curls)

CHOCOLATE GENOISE
Preheat oven to 350º F.
Prepare two 9-inch by 2-inch pans (or two 9-inch springform pans),
greased, bottoms lined with parchment, and then greased again and
floured.
In a heavy saucepan bring the chocolate and water to a boil over low
heat, stirring constantly. Simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the
chocolate thickens to a pudding-like consistency. (It will fall from the
spoon and pool slightly before disappearing.) Cool completely.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, vanilla extract and sugar
with the whisk beater on high speed for 10 minutes or until triple in
volume. (A hand beater may be used but it will be necessary to beat for
at least 20 minutes.)
Sift ½ the flour over the egg mixture and fold it in gently but
rapidly with a slotted skimmer or large rubber spatula until some of the
flour has disappeared. Repeat with the remaining flour until all flour
has disappeared. Fold in the chocolate mixture until incorporated.
Pour immediately into the prepared pans (they will be about 2/3
full) and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until a tester inserted in the centers
enters as easily as it does when inserted closer to the sides.
The cakes rise to the tops of the pans during baking and will lower
slightly when done, pulling slightly away from the sides. Avoid opening
the oven door before the minimum time or the cakes could fall.
Loosen the sides of the cakes with a small metal spatula and unmold
at once onto lightly greased racks. Reinvert to cool. The firm upper
crusts prevent falling. Trim the bottom and top crusts and split each
layer in half horizontally to make (4) ½" layers, when ready to complete
the cake.

CHERRIES w/SYRUP
Drain the cherries for 30 minutes, reserving 1 cup cherry liquid.
In a medium saucepan combine the cherry liquid and sugar and bring
to a boil, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Boil briskly,
uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add the cherries and simmer, covered, 1
minute. Remove from the heat. Transfer the cherries with a slotted
spoon to a jar with tight-fitting lid and add the Kirsch.
Boil the remaining syrup until reduced to 2/3 cup and pour over the
cherries. Cover tightly and swirl to mix. Cool completely and
refrigerate until ready to complete cake. *Note: May be prepared well
in advance and stored.

FILLING
In a large mixing bowl, beat the confectioner's sugar and butter
with the whisk beater on low speed until well-blended. Add egg yolks,
beating on high speed for 3 to 5 minutes, until light and fluffy. Gently
fold in Kirsch.

CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM
Chop the chocolate into small bits and put in a large mixing bowl.
Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan, and boil for 1
minute. Pour the boiling sugar mixture over the chocolate and stir until
smooth. If the mixture becomes granular and begins to stiffen, beat in 2
tablespoons vegetable shortening to smooth it out. Cover and set aside
to cool to room temperature.
In another mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks with the whisk beater
until well blended. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and beat well.
Continue to beat on high speed, adding small bits of butter (about 2
tablespoons) at a time, and beating well until all the butter is
incorporated and the frosting is light and fluffy.

CREAM TOPPING
Whip cream in a small chilled mixing bowl until frothy. Add sugar,
vanilla and Kirsch. Continue beating until very stiff (almost to
butter).

DECORATION
Macerate maraschino cherries in Kirsch for at least 24 h ours prior
to assembling cake.
Warm chocolate bar to approximately 80º F., or just warm enough to
prevent splintering. Form chocolate curls by using a potato peeler drawn
against the length of the bar. Chill until ready to complete cake.

ASSEMBLY
Drain cherries, reserving syrup. There should be about 1 cup, 2
tablespoons of syrup. Add additional Kirsch, if necessary.
Transfer the cakes to a long strip of waxed paper and prick each
layer lightly in several places with the tines of a long fork. Sprinkle
the layers evenly with the syrup and let them rest for at least 5
minutes.
Cut out a cardboard round to fit the diameter of the cake layer.
Place bottom layer on cardboard and spread with 1/3 of the filling.
Distribute an even layer of cherries (so that they are touching) on top
of filling. Place 2nd and 3rd cake layers, repeating with layers of
filling and cherries. Top with 4th cake layer.
Wrap cake gently in plastic film and refrigerate for at least 1 hour
for filling to become firm.
Remove cake from refrigerator and discard plastic film. Frost sides
only with chocolate buttercream, using an icing comb to finish and
decorate the sides.
Pile the entire amount of cream topping on top of cake. Use an
icing comb or swirl decoratively into an even layer.
Place 12 maraschino cherries evenly spaced around perimeter of top
and pile chocolate curls decoratively in center.
Cover cake closely and refrigerate at least 24 hours (48 hours is
better), to allow moisture to equalize and flavors to mellow. Serve
chilled.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
William

Hi Petra,

Thanks for the response.

> http://www.worldwideschool.org/libra.../dessertsq~z/z
> wetschgend/Chap1.html

Thanks for the useful link and information.

>> 2. Does anyone have a traditional recipe they would like to share?

> You might have a look at
>
> http://ilforno.typepad.com/il_forno/...ake_walk_.html

Yeah, this was the one i was gonna follow.

Thanks again.

William

Hi Petra,

Thanks for the response.

> http://www.worldwideschool.org/libra.../dessertsq~z/z
> wetschgend/Chap1.html

Thanks for the useful link and information.

>> 2. Does anyone have a traditional recipe they would like to share?

> You might have a look at
>
> http://ilforno.typepad.com/il_forno/...ake_walk_.html

Yeah, this was the one i was gonna follow.

Thanks again.
William

Wayne > wrote in
:

> Give this one a shot...
>

> Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte Serves 12

Thanks for the recipe!

Will.
William

Wayne > wrote in
:

> Give this one a shot...
>

> Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte Serves 12

Thanks for the recipe!

Will.
Wayne

William > wrote in news:Xns9566CC1C3E043Williamhomecom@
140.99.99.130:

> Hi Petra,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
>> http://www.worldwideschool.org/libra.../dessertsq~z/z
>> wetschgend/Chap1.html

> Thanks for the useful link and information.
>
>>> 2. Does anyone have a traditional recipe they would like to share?

>> You might have a look at
>>
>> http://ilforno.typepad.com/il_forno/...ake_walk_.html
>>

> Yeah, this was the one i was gonna follow.
>

> Thanks again.

*Most* Black Forest Cakes in Germany are not stacked using circles of
whipped cream but, rather, a kirsch flavored buttercream. The whipped
cream is more of an American adaptation. Some are iced on the outside with
a chocolate buttercream.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b