Lorea

Default Ideas for a birthday cake...

Hi,

I'm looking for ideas on a birthday cake...I want something that isn't the
usual ordinary 2-tier, yellow cake with buttercream birthday cake.

Any flavor combination ideas? Or any ideas on different textures? Or any
decoration ideas? Ideally, the cake shouldn't be too sweet...I want the
flavors to really "pop."

Thanks!!

Mel

What about a nice carrot cake with nuts? Here's agood recipe I've used in
the past http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/r_0000001663.asp

Mel.

"Lorea" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for ideas on a birthday cake...I want something that isn't the
> usual ordinary 2-tier, yellow cake with buttercream birthday cake.
>
> Any flavor combination ideas? Or any ideas on different textures? Or any
> decoration ideas? Ideally, the cake shouldn't be too sweet...I want the
> flavors to really "pop."
>
> Thanks!!

THEMOM1

I make a few different cakes for birthdays. Carrot cake, I use a cream
cheese icing when I make it. Or Hot fudge Sundae cake, I've never iced it.
How about Queen Elizabeth Cake? It's topped with toasted coconut.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Helen's Queen Mum Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes Peagram

-----MM BY H. PEAGRAM-----
-----BATTER-----
1 c Dates
1 c Boiling water
1 t Vanilla
1/4 c Margarine
1 c Sugar
1 Egg, beaten
1 1/2 c Flour
1 t Baking powder
1 t Baking soda
1/2 ts Salt
-----TOPPING-----
6 tb Brown sugar
3 tb Butter
4 tb Canned milk
1 c Coconut
1 pn Salt

Cook dates, water and vanilla to soft mass. Cream margarine, sugar
and egg. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Add date mixture.
Pour into a 9 x 9 greased pan and bake at 325F for 35 minutes.

While cake is baking, put all the topping ingredients into a small
pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes. When cake is baked,
remove from oven, spread topping on it and place under the broiler to
brown. Watch carefully, because it could burn.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Helen's Hot Fudge Sundae Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes Peagram

-----MM BY H. PEAGRAM-----
3 c Flour
3 ts Baking powder
1 t Salt
1/2 c Margarine
1/2 c Shortening
1 3/4 c Sugar
4 md Eggs
1 c Milk
1 t Vanilla
-----MARBELING-----
4 oz Semi-sweet choc chipits
2 tb Water
2 tb Canned milk or cream

Sift dry ingredients. Cream fat and sugar. Add eggs to creamed
mixture. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk and vanilla to
creamed mix.

MARBELING: Melt chocolate with water. Add milk or cream. Blend well.

Place 1/3 batter in greased tube pan. Spread 1/2 marbeling mixture on
batter. Put second 1/3 batter over marbeling. Spread second 1/2
marbeling over batter. Add last 1/3 of batter. Bake at 350F 60-70
minutes. A springform pan works well too.

H. Peagram

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Helen's Carrot Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes

-----MM BY HELEN PEAGRAM-----
2 c All-purpose flour
2 c Sugar
2 ts Ground cinnamon
1 t Baking soda
1/2 ts Salt
3 Eggs
2 c Carrots -- finely grated
1 1/2 c Vegetable oil
1 t Vanilla extract
1 c Crushed pineapple -- drained
1 1/2 c Chopped nuts -- divided

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith that
saves is faith in Him

<>< ><>
www.peagramfamily.com
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/..._WATCHERS.html

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html

225/188.4/145

"Lorea" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for ideas on a birthday cake...I want something that isn't the
> usual ordinary 2-tier, yellow cake with buttercream birthday cake.
>
> Any flavor combination ideas? Or any ideas on different textures? Or any
> decoration ideas? Ideally, the cake shouldn't be too sweet...I want the
> flavors to really "pop."
>
> Thanks!!

Lorea

The carrot cake and the chocolate cake and date cakes all sound good....but
I think I'm looking for something a little fancier.

Maybe what I need more help on is how to decorate it?

Vox Humana

"Lorea" > wrote in message
> The carrot cake and the chocolate cake and date cakes all sound

good....but
> I think I'm looking for something a little fancier.
>
> Maybe what I need more help on is how to decorate it?

You can get a lot of good decorating ideas and instructions from the Wilton
Yearbook of Cake Decorating. It is a magazine sold where cake decorating
supply are sold or online from wilton
http://www.wilton.com/yearbook/index.cfm