Kathy

Default coconut cake falling

I have a recipe for a coconut cake that tastes great but sinks in the middle
every time I bake one (13 x9). It's made with a reg. white cake mix, 1/4
tsp. baking powder, 1/2c oil, 3 eggs, (I've used the whole egg and just the
whites and it made no difference), 1c sour cream, 81/2 oz. cream of coconut.
It bakes for 30-40 minutes in a 350F oven.

Anyone have any suggestions or changes I could make to correct this problem?

Kathy

H. W. Hans Kuntze

Kathy wrote:

>I have a recipe for a coconut cake that tastes great but sinks in the mi=

ddle
>every time I bake one (13 x9). It's made with a reg. white cake mix, 1/=

4
>tsp. baking powder, 1/2c oil, 3 eggs, (I've used the whole egg and just =

the
>whites and it made no difference), 1c sour cream, 81/2 oz. cream of coco=

nut.
>It bakes for 30-40 minutes in a 350F oven.
>
>Anyone have any suggestions or changes I could make to correct this prob=

lem?

> =20

Hi Kathy.

I think the Cream of Coconut could be the culprit.
What do you use? Sweet Coco Loco type of stuff, like you use for Pina Col=
ada?
To much added fat & sugar.

I would try it next time with a Thai Coconut Milk instead and see how it =
goes.

--=20
Grue$$e.

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
" Strive for excellence in your life & reject being a doormat to others. =
Serve God. "
http://www.cmcchef.com , chef[AT]cmcchef.com
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/=20

Kathy

Thanks, I'll give that a try. That is what I was using.

Kathy

Vox Humana

"Kathy" > wrote in message
> I have a recipe for a coconut cake that tastes great but sinks in the

middle
> every time I bake one (13 x9). It's made with a reg. white cake mix, 1/4
> tsp. baking powder, 1/2c oil, 3 eggs, (I've used the whole egg and just

the
> whites and it made no difference), 1c sour cream, 81/2 oz. cream of

coconut.
> It bakes for 30-40 minutes in a 350F oven.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions or changes I could make to correct this

problem?

I agree that the cream of coconut is the most likely problem, mostly because
you are adding too much liquid to the cake mix. The addition of the baking
powder makes no sense to me. I could see using baking soda to neutralize
the sour cream - probably 1/4 tsp and omit the baking powder. You could
consider cutting back on the liquid either by omitting the sour cream or
cutting the amount of sour cream and the cream of coconut in half. Reduce
the total amount of liquid to approximately the amount specified on the
package. The other issue is that with all the liquid you added, I doubt
that you are baking it long enough. A properly baked cake won't sink in the
middle because the structure is set. Sinking cakes are a classic symptom of
under baking. A cake is done when it shrinks from the sides of the pan and
a toothpick inserted into the center comes out dry. Always check for
shrinking as it is the most objective sign of doneness. You might have
better success baking this cake in two eight or nine inch pans rather than
the 9 x 13.

ConnieG999

"Kathy" > writes:

>Anyone have any suggestions or changes I could make to correct this problem?

Not really - here's a recipe I've used several times and it comes out just
fine. Check yours against this one, maybe?

Cake:

1 box white cake mix
1/4 cup oil
3 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 oz sour cream
8 oz cream of coconut

Cream Cheese Frosting:

1 box (1 lb) powdered sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
2 tablespoon milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 cup coconut flakes

____________________

1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Mix all cake ingredients.
3. Pour into greased 9 x 13 pan.
4. Bake 35 minutes, or until cake tests done.
5. Cool completely before frosting.

6. Mix all frosting ingredients except coconut; spread on cake.
7. Top with coconut.

Connie
My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

Vox Humana

"ConnieG999" > wrote in message
> "Kathy" > writes:
>
> >Anyone have any suggestions or changes I could make to correct this

problem?

> Not really - here's a recipe I've used several times and it comes out just
> fine. Check yours against this one, maybe?
>
> Cake:
>
> 1 box white cake mix
> 1/4 cup oil
> 3 eggs, beaten
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
> 8 oz sour cream
> 8 oz cream of coconut

Your cake has 1/4 cup less oil and no extra baking powder.

When Baking A Cake, How Can I Stop The Fruit (in a Christmas Cake)From Falling (Sinking) To *GED* General Cooking 47 11-12-2007 04:05 PM
Coconut cake xim xim General Cooking 3 16-02-2006 04:32 PM
Coconut Cake Valerie Recipes (moderated) 0 07-02-2006 04:40 AM
Coconut Cake Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 20 31-03-2005 02:01 AM
Need Recipe for Coconut Cake - with Coconut *in* the Cake (not the Frosting or Filling) Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. General Cooking 17 11-04-2004 11:43 PM