FoodBanter.com

-   -   What are the causes of cracking on the top of a fruit cake ? (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/34-what-causes-cracking-top.html)

Chris Wilkins 13-10-2003 06:28 PM

What are the causes of cracking on the top of a fruit cake ?

What are the causes of cracking on the top of a fruit cake?

Can ingredients etc. cause cracking as well as a to higher temp.?

I'm plannibg to make a Wedding cake for my daughter's wedding next
year. Any tips as to how to get the 'perfect' cake.

Chris....

Vox Humana 13-10-2003 08:37 PM

"Chris Wilkins" > wrote in message
m...
> What are the causes of cracking on the top of a fruit cake?
>
> Can ingredients etc. cause cracking as well as a to higher temp.?
>
> I'm plannibg to make a Wedding cake for my daughter's wedding next
> year. Any tips as to how to get the 'perfect' cake.
>
> Chris....

Fruit cake is a holiday item here in the US. The one's that I have made are
baked at low temperature for a long time and cracking isn't a problem. I
would think that you could just level the top of the cake with a knife and
turn it upside down so the top is perfect and the cake sits level on the
cake board. Are you going to cover the cake in marzipan and rolled fondant?

paula 16-10-2003 11:46 AM

What are the causes of cracking on the top of a fruit cake ?

if the cake is peaked and cracked the reasons are as
follows.--insufficient creaming of fat and sugar or --the cake tin was
not large enough.or the cake was cooked too near to the top of the
oven.If the cake is dry then insufficient liquid or eggs was used,
or--over cooked or -- too much raising agent was used.If the cake has
sunk towards the base of the cake the fruit was too damp or the glace
cherries too sticky (always rinse the glace cherries and dry with
kitchen roll then toss in a little flour before adding)Or the oven
door was opened or banged whilst the cake was in the rising mode.If
this is your first cake then i would advise making one now as a
practise and if it turns out fine then everything is o.k. , but if not
it will give you plenty of time to make another and learn by your
mistakes.i have been making cakes for years but when i got a new
cooker i wasted a couple until i got used to my new oven and had to
adjust the temperatures which was rather a nuisance .a fruit cake
needs time to mature so making well in advance is advisable and double
wrap in greaseproof paper NOT cling film.good luck with the cake.

Wayne Boatwright 17-10-2003 06:24 AM

What are the causes of cracking on the top of a fruit cake ?

(paula) wrote in
om:

> if the cake is peaked and cracked the reasons are as
> follows.--insufficient creaming of fat and sugar or --the cake tin was
> not large enough.or the cake was cooked too near to the top of the
> oven.If the cake is dry then insufficient liquid or eggs was used,
> or--over cooked or -- too much raising agent was used.If the cake has
> sunk towards the base of the cake the fruit was too damp or the glace
> cherries too sticky (always rinse the glace cherries and dry with
> kitchen roll then toss in a little flour before adding)Or the oven
> door was opened or banged whilst the cake was in the rising mode.If
> this is your first cake then i would advise making one now as a
> practise and if it turns out fine then everything is o.k. , but if not
> it will give you plenty of time to make another and learn by your
> mistakes.i have been making cakes for years but when i got a new
> cooker i wasted a couple until i got used to my new oven and had to
> adjust the temperatures which was rather a nuisance .a fruit cake
> needs time to mature so making well in advance is advisable and double
> wrap in greaseproof paper NOT cling film.good luck with the cake.

Why greasproof paper and not cling film? I always use plastic wrap for
both the cakes headed for long-term storage and regular storage. I've
never noticed any problem, and the cakes stay extremely moist.

Wayne

paula 19-10-2003 09:46 PM

What are the causes of cracking on the top of a fruit cake ?

cakes wrapped in greaseproof paper stay moist but at the same time can
still breath. Using cling film can make them sweat.i know some people
use it regardless of what the experts say and their cakes are not
spoiled .

Wayne Boatwright 20-10-2003 01:00 AM

What are the causes of cracking on the top of a fruit cake ?

(paula) wrote in news:2c01afc5.0310191246.21ca2714
@posting.google.com:

> cakes wrapped in greaseproof paper stay moist but at the same time can
> still breath. Using cling film can make them sweat.i know some people
> use it regardless of what the experts say and their cakes are not
> spoiled .

Thank you... I can see that reasoning with most other types of cakes and
bakery. However, in my case, sealing in all possible moisture is
desirable, since I infuse them heavily with brandy and/or rum. The
consistency of my fruitcakes is more like that of a very moist plum or
Christmas pudding, actually more of a confection than a cake.

Wayne

paula 21-10-2003 01:39 AM

What are the causes of cracking on the top of a fruit cake ?

i too lace my cakes with alcohol ( in my case brandy) but if you are
not careful the booze COULD make the cake go mouldy. never had this
happen to me but i do know of it happening especially if the cake is
fed from the bottom and not the top. my kitchen smells of booze as i
type this, as i have just made a small square cake tonight. yummy!

Vox Humana 21-10-2003 02:38 AM

What are the causes of cracking on the top of a fruit cake ?

"paula" > wrote in message
om...

.. my kitchen smells of booze as i
> type this,

I suspect that is more common than one might have thought before reading
messages posted on Usenet. LOL!!

Wayne Boatwright 21-10-2003 06:34 AM

What are the causes of cracking on the top of a fruit cake ?

"Vox Humana" > wrote in news:H60lb.79248$uJ2.14672
@fe3.columbus.rr.com:

> "paula" > wrote in message
> om...
>>

> . my kitchen smells of booze as i
>> type this,

> I suspect that is more common than one might have thought before reading
> messages posted on Usenet. LOL!!

Hehehe... You're probably right!

Wayne Boatwright 21-10-2003 06:37 AM

What are the causes of cracking on the top of a fruit cake ?

(paula) wrote in news:2c01afc5.0310201639.1e91c339
@posting.google.com:

> i too lace my cakes with alcohol ( in my case brandy) but if you are
> not careful the booze COULD make the cake go mouldy. never had this
> happen to me but i do know of it happening especially if the cake is
> fed from the bottom and not the top. my kitchen smells of booze as i
> type this, as i have just made a small square cake tonight. yummy!

In my case I usually make aa recipe which yields ~25 lbs. of cake. I bake
them in loaves and begin sloshing on the alcohol while they are still
barely warm. I continue adding the liquor daily for about a month. At
that point AI wrap each one tightly in several layers of plastic wrap, then
a couple layers of foil. Most go in the freezer for long-term storage.
Those left out will be eaten for the coming season. I've never found mold
in my process, although I sprinkle the cakes from the top.