Dave Bell

Default Olive bread ?

I was scrounging for a recipe for a rustic style Greek Olive bread, and
ran across this recipe. Sounds like an excellent combination, but does
this look extremely dry to the folks here, from a hydration standpoint?

450g/1lb flour
100g/4oz sundried tomatoes
100g/4oz black olives, halved
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon onion, diced
25g/1oz yeast
300ml/10oz warm water

Should I be considering the olives and tomatoes as part of the dry
ingredients? Or only as add-ins, that do not affect the hydration?

300ml/450g is 67%, and probably fine.

But 300ml/(450+100+100)g is only 46%!

Thoughts, explanations for a newbie?

Dave
graham

"Dave Bell" > wrote in message
ea.net...
> I was scrounging for a recipe for a rustic style Greek Olive bread, and
> ran across this recipe. Sounds like an excellent combination, but does
> this look extremely dry to the folks here, from a hydration standpoint?
>
> 450g/1lb flour
> 100g/4oz sundried tomatoes
> 100g/4oz black olives, halved
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
> 1 clove garlic, crushed
> 1 teaspoon onion, diced
> 25g/1oz yeast
> 300ml/10oz warm water
>
> Should I be considering the olives and tomatoes as part of the dry
> ingredients? Or only as add-ins, that do not affect the hydration?
>
> 300ml/450g is 67%, and probably fine.
>
> But 300ml/(450+100+100)g is only 46%!
>
> Thoughts, explanations for a newbie?
>
> Dave

Everthing looks fine to me. You don't include the sd tomatoes and olives in
the dough % calculation as they are not part of the dough but are suspended
in it.
Graham

graham

"Dave Bell" > wrote in message
ea.net...
> I was scrounging for a recipe for a rustic style Greek Olive bread, and
> ran across this recipe. Sounds like an excellent combination, but does
> this look extremely dry to the folks here, from a hydration standpoint?
>
> 450g/1lb flour
> 100g/4oz sundried tomatoes
> 100g/4oz black olives, halved
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
> 1 clove garlic, crushed
> 1 teaspoon onion, diced
> 25g/1oz yeast
> 300ml/10oz warm water
>
> Should I be considering the olives and tomatoes as part of the dry
> ingredients? Or only as add-ins, that do not affect the hydration?
>
> 300ml/450g is 67%, and probably fine.
>
> But 300ml/(450+100+100)g is only 46%!
>
> Thoughts, explanations for a newbie?
>
> Dave

Everthing looks fine to me. You don't include the sd tomatoes and olives in
the dough % calculation as they are not part of the dough but are suspended
in it.
Graham

Dave Bell

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, graham wrote:

> Everthing looks fine to me. You don't include the sd tomatoes and olives in
> the dough % calculation as they are not part of the dough but are suspended
> in it.
> Graham

Thanks, that makes more sense!

Dave
Dave Bell

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, graham wrote:

> Everthing looks fine to me. You don't include the sd tomatoes and olives in
> the dough % calculation as they are not part of the dough but are suspended
> in it.
> Graham

Thanks, that makes more sense!

Dave

Roy Basan

Dave Bell > wrote in message rea.net>...
> I was scrounging for a recipe for a rustic style Greek Olive bread, and
> ran across this recipe. Sounds like an excellent combination, but does
> this look extremely dry to the folks here, from a hydration standpoint?
>
> 450g/1lb flour
> 100g/4oz sundried tomatoes
> 100g/4oz black olives, halved
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
> 1 clove garlic, crushed
> 1 teaspoon onion, diced
> 25g/1oz yeast
> 300ml/10oz warm water
>
> Should I be considering the olives and tomatoes as part of the dry
> ingredients? Or only as add-ins, that do not affect the hydration?
>
> 300ml/450g is 67%, and probably fine.
>
> But 300ml/(450+100+100)g is only 46%!
>
> Thoughts, explanations for a newbie?
>
> Dave

I do not like the baker's yeast dough taste well with black olives..
I find best flavor with sourdough.
I make sourdough olive bread in the bakery and I add the pitted black
kalamata olives in the end of the mixing process just to incorporate
it.
I also chop coarsely the sun dried tomato and blend it with the
olives.
\Be sure to drain any liquid from these ingredients before you
incorporate in the dough and dust the olives with flour as well as the
dough lightly during mixing to eliminate wet spots from exudation.
The dough should come out not sticky but cohesive..
..
Roy
Roy Basan

Dave Bell > wrote in message rea.net>...
> I was scrounging for a recipe for a rustic style Greek Olive bread, and
> ran across this recipe. Sounds like an excellent combination, but does
> this look extremely dry to the folks here, from a hydration standpoint?
>
> 450g/1lb flour
> 100g/4oz sundried tomatoes
> 100g/4oz black olives, halved
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
> 1 clove garlic, crushed
> 1 teaspoon onion, diced
> 25g/1oz yeast
> 300ml/10oz warm water
>
> Should I be considering the olives and tomatoes as part of the dry
> ingredients? Or only as add-ins, that do not affect the hydration?
>
> 300ml/450g is 67%, and probably fine.
>
> But 300ml/(450+100+100)g is only 46%!
>
> Thoughts, explanations for a newbie?
>
> Dave

I do not like the baker's yeast dough taste well with black olives..
I find best flavor with sourdough.
I make sourdough olive bread in the bakery and I add the pitted black
kalamata olives in the end of the mixing process just to incorporate
it.
I also chop coarsely the sun dried tomato and blend it with the
olives.
\Be sure to drain any liquid from these ingredients before you
incorporate in the dough and dust the olives with flour as well as the
dough lightly during mixing to eliminate wet spots from exudation.
The dough should come out not sticky but cohesive..
..
Roy

olive oil dip for crusty bread lkm General Cooking 16 04-04-2011 10:40 PM
Olive Onion Bread Patricia Hill[_1_] Recipes (moderated) 0 20-02-2007 06:47 PM
ROSEMARY OLIVE OIL BREAD Tim Recipes 0 22-06-2005 05:43 PM
Olive Oil Bread Tim Recipes 0 18-06-2005 12:43 PM
Olive-Nut Bread Tim Recipes 0 26-05-2005 03:48 AM