Margaret Suran

Default Please Help Me With A Mudcake Recipe

Can someone help me with a really good recipe for a mud cake? A
neighbor just asked me, knowing that I sometimes bake, but I have
never made one and therefore I cannot recommend a really good recipe.

What he needs is "The Ultimate Mud cake", having promised to bake one
and the first few attempts came out as flat as brownies.

Thank you for any help you can give me. I fear that I may end up
baking the cake for him. MS

Dave Bell

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Margaret Suran wrote:

> Can someone help me with a really good recipe for a mud cake? A
>
> What he needs is "The Ultimate Mud cake", having promised to bake one
> and the first few attempts came out as flat as brownies.

Can he describe the result he's trying for? There are a lot of "Mud Cakes"
out there!

Dave
Dave Bell

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Margaret Suran wrote:

> Can someone help me with a really good recipe for a mud cake? A
>
> What he needs is "The Ultimate Mud cake", having promised to bake one
> and the first few attempts came out as flat as brownies.

Can he describe the result he's trying for? There are a lot of "Mud Cakes"
out there!

Dave
Margaret Suran

Dave Bell wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Margaret Suran wrote:
>

>>Can someone help me with a really good recipe for a mud cake? A
>>
>>What he needs is "The Ultimate Mud cake", having promised to bake one
>>and the first few attempts came out as flat as brownies.

> Can he describe the result he's trying for? There are a lot of "Mud Cakes"
> out there!
>
> Dave

He would like to make a cake that follows a recipe that has been tried
and has turned our a good Mud Cake. Thank you.

Margaret Suran

Dave Bell wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Margaret Suran wrote:
>

>>Can someone help me with a really good recipe for a mud cake? A
>>
>>What he needs is "The Ultimate Mud cake", having promised to bake one
>>and the first few attempts came out as flat as brownies.

> Can he describe the result he's trying for? There are a lot of "Mud Cakes"
> out there!
>
> Dave

He would like to make a cake that follows a recipe that has been tried
and has turned our a good Mud Cake. Thank you.

Dave Bell

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Margaret Suran wrote:

> >>What he needs is "The Ultimate Mud cake", having promised to bake one
> >>and the first few attempts came out as flat as brownies.

> > Can he describe the result he's trying for? There are a lot of "Mud Cakes"
> > out there!

> He would like to make a cake that follows a recipe that has been tried
> and has turned our a good Mud Cake. Thank you.

Right... But, what constitutes a "good Mud Cake"?
Is it just a rich chocolate cake? Does it have a pudding-y sauce or
texture? Light and fluffy, or thick and gooey?
Dave Bell

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Margaret Suran wrote:

> >>What he needs is "The Ultimate Mud cake", having promised to bake one
> >>and the first few attempts came out as flat as brownies.

> > Can he describe the result he's trying for? There are a lot of "Mud Cakes"
> > out there!

> He would like to make a cake that follows a recipe that has been tried
> and has turned our a good Mud Cake. Thank you.

Right... But, what constitutes a "good Mud Cake"?
Is it just a rich chocolate cake? Does it have a pudding-y sauce or
texture? Light and fluffy, or thick and gooey?
zxcvbob

Margaret Suran wrote:

> Can someone help me with a really good recipe for a mud cake? A
> neighbor just asked me, knowing that I sometimes bake, but I have never
> made one and therefore I cannot recommend a really good recipe.
>
> What he needs is "The Ultimate Mud cake", having promised to bake one
> and the first few attempts came out as flat as brownies.

They are supposed to be flat as a brownie, and almost as dense.

I have a recipe at home, but I haven't made it in years and it may take
me a while to find it.

Bob
zxcvbob

Margaret Suran wrote:

> Can someone help me with a really good recipe for a mud cake? A
> neighbor just asked me, knowing that I sometimes bake, but I have never
> made one and therefore I cannot recommend a really good recipe.
>
> What he needs is "The Ultimate Mud cake", having promised to bake one
> and the first few attempts came out as flat as brownies.

They are supposed to be flat as a brownie, and almost as dense.

I have a recipe at home, but I haven't made it in years and it may take
me a while to find it.

Bob
zxcvbob

zxcvbob wrote:
> Margaret Suran wrote:
>
>> Can someone help me with a really good recipe for a mud cake? A
>> neighbor just asked me, knowing that I sometimes bake, but I have
>> never made one and therefore I cannot recommend a really good recipe.
>>
>> What he needs is "The Ultimate Mud cake", having promised to bake one
>> and the first few attempts came out as flat as brownies.
>>

> They are supposed to be flat as a brownie, and almost as dense.
>
> I have a recipe at home, but I haven't made it in years and it may take
> me a while to find it.
>
> Bob

The foodtv recipe I linked below looks pretty close to what I remember,
from a _Cotton Country_ cookbook published by the Junior League in
Alabama (the back cover has a really cute plaid boll weevil :-)

http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/r..._14854,00.html

I'll dig up the recipe tonight.

Bob

zxcvbob

zxcvbob wrote:
> Margaret Suran wrote:
>
>> Can someone help me with a really good recipe for a mud cake? A
>> neighbor just asked me, knowing that I sometimes bake, but I have
>> never made one and therefore I cannot recommend a really good recipe.
>>
>> What he needs is "The Ultimate Mud cake", having promised to bake one
>> and the first few attempts came out as flat as brownies.
>>

> They are supposed to be flat as a brownie, and almost as dense.
>
> I have a recipe at home, but I haven't made it in years and it may take
> me a while to find it.
>
> Bob

The foodtv recipe I linked below looks pretty close to what I remember,
from a _Cotton Country_ cookbook published by the Junior League in
Alabama (the back cover has a really cute plaid boll weevil :-)

http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/r..._14854,00.html

I'll dig up the recipe tonight.

Bob
Margaret Suran

Dave Bell wrote:

>>> Can he describe the result he's trying for? There are a lot of
>>> "Mud Cakes" out there!

>> He would like to make a cake that follows a recipe that has been
>> tried and has turned our a good Mud Cake. Thank you.

> Right... But, what constitutes a "good Mud Cake"? Is it just a rich
> chocolate cake? Does it have a pudding-y sauce or texture? Light
> and fluffy, or thick and gooey?

I do not know. I have never made a Mud Cake and I don't remember ever
tasting or seeing one. I am not a lover of sweets.

Thank you for trying to help. I have copied about a dozen recipes
from Google, all different ones and left them with the concierge.
Alan will get them and try the one(s) he considers best. MS

Margaret Suran

Dave Bell wrote:

>>> Can he describe the result he's trying for? There are a lot of
>>> "Mud Cakes" out there!

>> He would like to make a cake that follows a recipe that has been
>> tried and has turned our a good Mud Cake. Thank you.

> Right... But, what constitutes a "good Mud Cake"? Is it just a rich
> chocolate cake? Does it have a pudding-y sauce or texture? Light
> and fluffy, or thick and gooey?

I do not know. I have never made a Mud Cake and I don't remember ever
tasting or seeing one. I am not a lover of sweets.

Thank you for trying to help. I have copied about a dozen recipes
from Google, all different ones and left them with the concierge.
Alan will get them and try the one(s) he considers best. MS

Margaret Suran

zxcvbob wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Margaret Suran wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone help me with a really good recipe for a mud cake? A
>>> neighbor just asked me, knowing that I sometimes bake, but I have
>>> never made one and therefore I cannot recommend a really good recipe.

> The foodtv recipe I linked below looks pretty close to what I remember,
> from a _Cotton Country_ cookbook published by the Junior League in
> Alabama (the back cover has a really cute plaid boll weevil :-)
>
> http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/r..._14854,00.html
>
> I'll dig up the recipe tonight.
>
> Bob

Thank you, Bob. This looks just right, especially since it takes
practically no time and effort. Alan is supposed to be a good baker,
but only the baked goods with which he is experienced. Just as I am.
Even I could attempt this recipe. )

I printed it out for Alan and will leave it downstairs for him.

MS

Margaret Suran

zxcvbob wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Margaret Suran wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone help me with a really good recipe for a mud cake? A
>>> neighbor just asked me, knowing that I sometimes bake, but I have
>>> never made one and therefore I cannot recommend a really good recipe.

> The foodtv recipe I linked below looks pretty close to what I remember,
> from a _Cotton Country_ cookbook published by the Junior League in
> Alabama (the back cover has a really cute plaid boll weevil :-)
>
> http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/r..._14854,00.html
>
> I'll dig up the recipe tonight.
>
> Bob

Thank you, Bob. This looks just right, especially since it takes
practically no time and effort. Alan is supposed to be a good baker,
but only the baked goods with which he is experienced. Just as I am.
Even I could attempt this recipe. )

I printed it out for Alan and will leave it downstairs for him.

MS

Rick & Cyndi

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> Margaret Suran wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone help me with a really good recipe for a mud cake? A
>>> neighbor just asked me, knowing that I sometimes bake, but I have never
>>> made one and therefore I cannot recommend a really good recipe.
>>>
>>> What he needs is "The Ultimate Mud cake", having promised to bake one
>>> and the first few attempts came out as flat as brownies.
>>>

>> They are supposed to be flat as a brownie, and almost as dense.
>>
>> I have a recipe at home, but I haven't made it in years and it may take
>> me a while to find it.
>>
>> Bob

> The foodtv recipe I linked below looks pretty close to what I remember,
> from a _Cotton Country_ cookbook published by the Junior League in Alabama
> (the back cover has a really cute plaid boll weevil :-)
>
> http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/r..._14854,00.html
>
> I'll dig up the recipe tonight.
>
> Bob

==============

Close but no cigar. It's mising the marshmallow cream. I'll try to look it
up later. We've a storm coming in and I need to shut down...
Cyndi

Rick & Cyndi

==============

Close but no cigar. It's mising the marshmallow cream. I'll try to look it
up later. We've a storm coming in and I need to shut down...
Cyndi

zxcvbob

Rick & Cyndi wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>>zxcvbob wrote:

>>>They are supposed to be flat as a brownie, and almost as dense.
>>>
>>>I have a recipe at home, but I haven't made it in years and it may take
>>>me a while to find it.
>>>
>>>Bob

>>The foodtv recipe I linked below looks pretty close to what I remember,
>>from a _Cotton Country_ cookbook published by the Junior League in Alabama
>>(the back cover has a really cute plaid boll weevil :-)
>>
>>http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/r..._14854,00.html
>>
>>I'll dig up the recipe tonight.
>>
>>Bob

> ==============
>
> Close but no cigar. It's mising the marshmallow cream. I'll try to look it
> up later. We've a storm coming in and I need to shut down...
> Cyndi

Marshmallow Creme? I thought it was supposed to have minature
marshmallows stirred [whole, not melted] into the frosting. Like I
said, it's been a long time since I've made it.

Bob
zxcvbob

Rick & Cyndi wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>>zxcvbob wrote:

>>>They are supposed to be flat as a brownie, and almost as dense.
>>>
>>>I have a recipe at home, but I haven't made it in years and it may take
>>>me a while to find it.
>>>
>>>Bob

>>The foodtv recipe I linked below looks pretty close to what I remember,
>>from a _Cotton Country_ cookbook published by the Junior League in Alabama
>>(the back cover has a really cute plaid boll weevil :-)
>>
>>http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/r..._14854,00.html
>>
>>I'll dig up the recipe tonight.
>>
>>Bob

> ==============
>
> Close but no cigar. It's mising the marshmallow cream. I'll try to look it
> up later. We've a storm coming in and I need to shut down...
> Cyndi

Marshmallow Creme? I thought it was supposed to have minature
marshmallows stirred [whole, not melted] into the frosting. Like I
said, it's been a long time since I've made it.

Bob
Wayne

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

> Rick & Cyndi wrote:

>>>The foodtv recipe I linked below looks pretty close to what I
>>>remember, from a _Cotton Country_ cookbook published by the Junior
>>>League in Alabama (the back cover has a really cute plaid boll weevil
>>>:-)
>>>
>>>http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/r...36_14854,00.ht
>>>ml
>>>
>>>I'll dig up the recipe tonight.
>>>
>>>Bob

>> ==============
>>
>> Close but no cigar. It's mising the marshmallow cream. I'll try to
>> look it up later. We've a storm coming in and I need to shut down...
>> Cyndi
>>

> Marshmallow Creme? I thought it was supposed to have minature
> marshmallows stirred [whole, not melted] into the frosting. Like I
> said, it's been a long time since I've made it.
>
> Bob

I've seen recipes where miniature marshmallows are stirred into the
frosting, but the heat of the frosting melts them.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

mousepotato

Here is Emeril Lagasse's own!!
Enjoy
Mississippi Mud Cake
Makes 1 Cake

This Southern classic combines coffee, bourbon, and chocolate for a
delicious crowd-pleaser. For you chocolate lovers who may have watched our
show on chocolate, this is a very simple cake to make. Top yours with some
homemade ice cream - vanilla's my favorite.

1/2 pound (2 sticks) plus 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch
pieces
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup bourbon
1 1/2 cups strong brewed coffee, cooled
5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

1.. Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
2.. Grease a Bundt pan with 2 teaspoons of the butter, then lightly dust
with the cocoa.
3.. Sift the flour with the baking soda and salt into a bowl, and set
aside.
4.. Warm the bourbon and coffee in the top of a double boiler or a
stainless steel bowl set over a pan of simmering water for 5 minutes. Add
the chocolate and remaining butter and cook, stirring, until melted and
smooth, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the sugar and stir to
dissolve. Cool slightly.
5.. Using a whisk or an electric mixer, stir the flour, 1/2 cup at a time,
into the chocolate. Add the vanilla and eggs, whisking to mix well.
6.. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour. (The cake
will be slightly soft in the middle.)
7.. Remove from the oven and let rest in the pan for 20 minutes, then turn
out onto a cooling rack to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
From Prime Time Emeril by Emeril's Food of Love Productions LLC. 2001
HarperCollins Publishers. Used by permission.

mousepotato

[...]

From Prime Time Emeril by Emeril's Food of Love Productions LLC. 2001
HarperCollins Publishers. Used by permission.

Margaret Suran

Thank you all for your help and for the recipes. Alan will bake some
of them and will pick the one he likes best for the Mud Cake he is
supposed to make for some kind of occasion.

MS

hahabogus

Margaret Suran > wrote in
:

> Thank you all for your help and for the recipes. Alan will bake some
> of them and will pick the one he likes best for the Mud Cake he is
> supposed to make for some kind of occasion.
>
> MS

Beating His Feet? (on the Mississippi Mud... a line from a very old song)

--
Last year's nuts must go.
- Michael Odom
hahabogus

Margaret Suran > wrote in
:

> Thank you all for your help and for the recipes. Alan will bake some
> of them and will pick the one he likes best for the Mud Cake he is
> supposed to make for some kind of occasion.
>
> MS

Beating His Feet? (on the Mississippi Mud... a line from a very old song)

--
Last year's nuts must go.
- Michael Odom
hahabogus

Margaret Suran > wrote in
:

> Thank you all for your help and for the recipes. Alan will bake some
> of them and will pick the one he likes best for the Mud Cake he is
> supposed to make for some kind of occasion.
>
> MS

Beating His Feet? (on the Mississippi Mud... a line from a very old song)

--
Last year's nuts must go.
- Michael Odom
jmk

On 8/25/2004 3:30 PM, Dave Bell wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Margaret Suran wrote:
>

>>Can someone help me with a really good recipe for a mud cake? A
>>
>>What he needs is "The Ultimate Mud cake", having promised to bake one
>>and the first few attempts came out as flat as brownies.

> Can he describe the result he's trying for? There are a lot of "Mud Cakes"
> out there!
>
> Dave

Good point. The first thing that popped into my mind was actually "dirt
cake" (pudding, cool whip, oreo crumbs, gummy worms...)

--
jmk in NC
jmk

On 8/25/2004 3:30 PM, Dave Bell wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Margaret Suran wrote:
>

>>Can someone help me with a really good recipe for a mud cake? A
>>
>>What he needs is "The Ultimate Mud cake", having promised to bake one
>>and the first few attempts came out as flat as brownies.

> Can he describe the result he's trying for? There are a lot of "Mud Cakes"
> out there!
>
> Dave

Good point. The first thing that popped into my mind was actually "dirt
cake" (pudding, cool whip, oreo crumbs, gummy worms...)

--
jmk in NC

Margaret Suran

jmk wrote:
> On 8/25/2004 3:30 PM, Dave Bell wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Margaret Suran wrote:
>>

>>> Can someone help me with a really good recipe for a mud cake? A
>>>
>>> What he needs is "The Ultimate Mud cake", having promised to bake one
>>> and the first few attempts came out as flat as brownies.

>> Can he describe the result he's trying for? There are a lot of "Mud
>> Cakes"
>> out there!
>>
>> Dave

> Good point. The first thing that popped into my mind was actually "dirt
> cake" (pudding, cool whip, oreo crumbs, gummy worms...)

Thank you. I have received several recipes and Alan is trying them
out. If he tells me how the "special" cake turned out, I will post
it. MS

Margaret Suran

jmk wrote:
> On 8/25/2004 3:30 PM, Dave Bell wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Margaret Suran wrote:
>>

>>> Can someone help me with a really good recipe for a mud cake? A
>>>
>>> What he needs is "The Ultimate Mud cake", having promised to bake one
>>> and the first few attempts came out as flat as brownies.

>> Can he describe the result he's trying for? There are a lot of "Mud
>> Cakes"
>> out there!
>>
>> Dave

> Good point. The first thing that popped into my mind was actually "dirt
> cake" (pudding, cool whip, oreo crumbs, gummy worms...)

Thank you. I have received several recipes and Alan is trying them
out. If he tells me how the "special" cake turned out, I will post
it. MS

Rick & Cyndi

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Rick & Cyndi wrote:

>>>The foodtv recipe I linked below looks pretty close to what I remember,
>>>from a _Cotton Country_ cookbook published by the Junior League in
>>>Alabama (the back cover has a really cute plaid boll weevil :-)
>>>
>>>http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/r..._14854,00.html
>>>
>>>I'll dig up the recipe tonight.
>>>
>>>Bob

>> ==============
>>
>> Close but no cigar. It's mising the marshmallow cream. I'll try to look
>> it up later. We've a storm coming in and I need to shut down...
>> Cyndi
>>

> Marshmallow Creme? I thought it was supposed to have minature
> marshmallows stirred [whole, not melted] into the frosting. Like I said,
> it's been a long time since I've made it.
>
> Bob

=======

Either. That's one of those 'what's on hand' things.

Cyndi